• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ability to custom name phone number: Z Fold 4?

sachertorte

Apr 16, 2018
In the OEM Z Fold 4 contacts, I used to be able to change what a phone number would be called, and I think the option might have been "custom", but I can't remember now. For example, if I had a contact entry for "Amazon", and I wanted to add a second number in addition to customer service, and let's say it was an Amazon employee named "Bob", I could change his phone number to be listed as something like "Bob, Customer Service". Now I do not seem to be able to do that. Maybe I noticed it sometime around the last phone update. Has this feature been eliminated, or is there now another way to do it?

I looked at my phone book, and I see that I have some entries where these custom names are still showing. I can edit it, and it says "edit custom field", but I see no option to create a new "custom field"

Thanks,

Danny

Last edited:
in your contacts you can hit add a number. there should be a drop down menu. at the very bottom of the drop down menu look for a pencil icon and select it. it will give you an option to change the caption name. its not as obvious as it used to be. this is what shows on my z fold 4.

edit: "oem z fold 4?" are there others who are making z fold 4's????? LOL

Upvote 0
in your contacts you can hit add a number. there should be a drop down menu. at the very bottom of the drop down menu look for a pencil icon and select it. it will give you an option to change the caption name. its not as obvious as it used to be. this is what shows on my z fold 4.

edit: "oem z fold 4?" are there others who are making z fold 4's????? LOL
Ok, great. That made all of the difference. When I tried it this time, I was able to work it so that it would allow me to change the caption name.

When I said "OEM", I meant that I was using the provided contacts app that came with the phone, not something you could maybe download and install.

Danny

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones