• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ebook Apps Discussion

Hmm... has anyone used the Nook app for Android tablets?

Not really a fan of it personally.... I'm wanting to say that it doesn't have a 'night' mode...

I've got it on my NC, I'm not wowed by it either. NA is right in that it doesn't have a night mode - or if it has one it is VERY well hidden. Nor does it have a way to change font and/or background color that I could find. Those are couple of big 'misses' for me.

Reactions: cameradad1986
Upvote 0
I decided to get a Nook again. I actually don't like trying to read a book on an LCD screen while in motion. It was hard to read it while on a plane for some reason. I felt strain and a bit of a headache. I felt the same way while riding in a car. The Nook was just so much easier to read since there's no eye strain or "LCD fatigue".

Upvote 0
I decided to get a Nook again. I actually don't like trying to read a book on an LCD screen while in motion. It was hard to read it while on a plane for some reason. I felt strain and a bit of a headache. I felt the same way while riding in a car. The Nook was just so much easier to read since there's no eye strain or "LCD fatigue".

True, good point. Question though, what app were you using and did you utilize night mode?

Upvote 0
True, good point. Question though, what app were you using and did you utilize night mode?

I was just using the Nook app and did use night mode at night. I wasn't very fond of the backlight of the LCD. If the black was a very deep and rich black, it would've been ok. The backlight was just a bit too distracting. I think I just get a bit dizzy staring at an LCD screen while in motion. I missed the lightness of the Nook as well as it was a bit of a hassle always using two hands.

Upvote 0
I use Beam Reader. I don't subscribe to any particular format book. I look for epub and pdf. I found a computer app that would remove DRM. If you use an outfit like Booksamillion, they do list the formats for each book.

My problem is I don't bother with the books that Amazon, B&N usually push. Sometimes there is a nonfiction bestseller that is interesting, but usually not.
I do more non-fiction anyway.
The science section and the do it yourself section are wanting.

The latest book I bought was on GIMP. Some of the other books I acquired were long out of print, but still interesting and free from Project Gutenberg.

The Audubon Guides are Android Apps and just as good as any published ones. The bird one is even better since you can get the actual bird song. You don't need a reader.

If you are a recipe collector, there's free stuff all over. You don't need to buy another cookbook if you want something beyond basic how to cook. Most of it is in PDF, but if it isn't most Office programs will write PDF files that you can read on your device.

I realize that I'm not in step with the majority, but I dislike the assumption that I am.
If you like what most like, then have at it and enjoy yourself.

Reactions: GClax24
Upvote 0
I use Cool Reader, for the most part-- this is because I have a lot of books in .pdb format left over from my PDA days (which was not so long ago-- I only went to 'smart phone' this August past).

It has a decent night-mode, though it wasn't as flexible as the reader I used on my Palm T|X...

I find that often I have to fix my ebooks, though-- I absolutely hate typos and formatting gets screwy every time you convert, it seems like; and most publishers just scan a hardcopy but don't proof, so we end up with sub-par product. Another reason I use .pdb format is I can pull the document into Libre Office Write and fix the book so it matches my paper copy, then publish it as .pdb using a little macro called odt2pml and calling Dropbook from that.

Upvote 0
Need some help. Gonna buy my first eBook but I'm not sure which to use, Google Play Books or Amazon Kindle?
I don't know the finer points, but I believe that 10 years from now that Amazon will still be a strong seller of a wide variety of book titles. With Google, I fear that they'll drop anything the minute the wind blows a different direction.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones