• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eclair 2.0 confirmed for the htc hero

being new to android, does that mean we'll be able to just download a simple firmware upgrade or rom flash or do we have to root the phone and go about flashing someone's cooked update. It's just a question of it being official or not. For a work environment I try to not have to deal with homebrewing things on 15 phones. I'm cool with playing with mine, but not non tech savvy coworkers.

I kinda want to know answer to this question too. I can understand that Sprint HTC Hero doesnt use out-of-box stock OS like iPhone/Moment does but is customized with "Sense" for carrier, in our case Sprint. So does that mean unlike iPhone which releases paid updates every so often to their phone OS, we the Sprint HTC Hero users are at Sprint's mercy forever for Android updates (even though they are free)?

Also, that if and when we get 2.0 update, we may not get anymore updates in future because Sprint may decide not provide us updates?

I love this phone. Its awesome. Only things that are causing inconvenience are SMS-Battery issue and ROM leaks. Hopefully these are addressed in 2.0 update.

Upvote 0
I kinda want to know answer to this question too. I can understand that Sprint HTC Hero doesnt use out-of-box stock OS like iPhone/Moment does but is customized with "Sense" for carrier, in our case Sprint. So does that mean unlike iPhone which releases paid updates every so often to their phone OS, we the Sprint HTC Hero users are at Sprint's mercy forever for Android updates (even though they are free)?

Also, that if and when we get 2.0 update, we may not get anymore updates in future because Sprint may decide not provide us updates?

I love this phone. Its awesome. Only things that are causing inconvenience are SMS-Battery issue and ROM leaks. Hopefully these are addressed in 2.0 update.
Thats correct, HTC Hero uses 1.5 Android with Sense UI. Both CDMA and GSM versions alike.

It really means your at the mercy of HTC and Google more than Sprint. Google for the OS updates, and HTC for the Sense updates.

You may, or may not get future updates beyond 2.0. Im not sure if this has really been addressed or not at this point. Far too many worried about getting 2.0 right now.

I actually think HTC is working on a patch to fix some issues before you get an OS update.

Upvote 0
Thats correct, HTC Hero uses 1.5 Android with Sense UI. Both CDMA and GSM versions alike.

It really means your at the mercy of HTC and Google more than Sprint. Google for the OS updates, and HTC for the Sense updates.

You may, or may not get future updates beyond 2.0. Im not sure if this has really been addressed or not at this point. Far too many worried about getting 2.0 right now.

I actually think HTC is working on a patch to fix some issues before you get an OS update.

Thanks for the reply

Upvote 0
ummm...posting on a thread almost a month old,and asking about something completely off topic????

While interesting a bit odd don't you think?

And why get an iPod use the greatness of hero, that's what I do. But, I suppose if you're serious you'd have to look at what you want then make a decision.

Still trying to wrap my brain around why you're asking here though.

Upvote 0
..It really means your at the mercy of HTC and Google more than Sprint. Google for the OS updates, and HTC for the Sense updates...

As I understand it HTC can't release any updates without Sprints final approval so that means we ARE at the mercy of Sprint as well. Since Google has released Android 1.6 and 2.0 to the wide world I would put the list as HTC and Sprint more than Google.

... Far too many worried about getting 2.0 right now....

So I suppose we shouldn't worry and bother poor Sprint/HTC? :eek:

Oh trust me! I got teased as well!

When it comes out, It's most likely that I'm getting the Passion...

I guess you'll be moving off of Sprint. The Nexus One won't be coming to Sprint anytime soon.

Fubie

Upvote 0
As I understand it HTC can't release any updates without Sprints final approval so that means we ARE at the mercy of Sprint as well. Since Google has released Android 1.6 and 2.0 to the wide world I would put the list as HTC and Sprint more than Google.

So I suppose we shouldn't worry and bother poor Sprint/HTC? :eek:

I guess you'll be moving off of Sprint. The Nexus One won't be coming to Sprint anytime soon.

Fubie
Yup Sprint drops the ball again. They just can't seem to get the good phones first. Sprint lets Verizon beat them everytime.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones