• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eligible for upgrade?

I currently have an Eris that I got back in December of '09. I was told I would be able to get a partial discount (new customer's price) on a new phone this coming December since it'd be a year. However, since my mom got a new phone last week (her's literally broke), the contract was renewed. Now when I look at my account online, it says I'm not eligible for an upgrade for two years. And the other day, I was talking to the guys at a local Verizon kiosk and they said the same thing. Did I just forfeit my half upgrade? It's getting harder to resist the urge to throw my phone at the wall. I was really looking forward to getting a new one.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

It does sound like you have forfeited your 'half upgrade' for your mom's new phone. If your line was used for her new phone then yes, you are no longer eligible for an upgrade.

You will be able to upgrade your phone using her line's upgrade date though. That is probably less than 2 years but obviously not close enough to be used or she would have used it herself. It seems like your line is the primary line so actually it will be eligible in a year, not 2, (like it just was)...and a year is really 8 months if you go through customer service...

Just wondering...what happened to her phone? Was it not covered under warranty? How long had she had it and what is her upgrade date?

Upvote 0
I don't remember how long she had her phone for. Longer than I had my Eris, I'm sure. She didn't upgrade last time when I did. She had a basic flip phone. The part where the the two pieces connected broke on one side, so it couldn't close all the way; but it still functioned. I don't think she had any insurance on it since it was a "cheap" phone. I don't know how long the warranty lasted, but if she had the phone for probably two years, it had most likely expired. As for her upgrade date, she had the "new every two" thing since she's the primary. When I upgrade, we usually swap the upgrades so I get hers (which would give me a bigger discount).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones