1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Encouragement needed - afraid to go SOFT

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by moto-six, Jul 21, 2010.

1. moto-six

moto-six Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Life Lover. Oh yeah, and Accountant.
    Texas
    Okay, I love a lot of the new phones coming out without the physical keybaord. But everytime I talk to converts, I hear bad things like, slowlenss, mistyping, etc. I need some encouragement!

Anyone go away from the physical keyboard and just LOVE softkeyboards?

:thinking:

I wanna make the switch. But I need a shot in the arm from you guys. I am a physical keyboard addict! :eek:

Advertisement

2. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I can empathize with your situation. I just came from a BlackBerry Bold 9700 (to a Samsung Vibrant) and was concerned about the lack of a keyboard. Using a virtual keyboard is turning out to be not as bad as I thought it might be. Yes, it's a bit slower, but not unduly so. I expect I'll get more proficient with time, and Swype is surprisingly good.
    Don't stress over it too much, I'd say. :)

3. moto-six

moto-six Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks w_bovine! Nice phone you picked up there too.

4. Podivin

Podivin Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Sounds just like real life, if you worry about going soft you'll have a problem with it - don't think about it and everything will be fine.... :)

5. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I made the switch in 2007 with the original iPhone. Had iPhones until until the Droid came out. I tried using the physical keyboard on it a couple times and couldn't do it. Now I have my droid X and I love it and swype is pretty nice.

I have never wanted a physical keyboard after using an on screen keyboard for about 2 hours. They are really easy to get used to and once you do they are so much better you will never miss a physical keyboard again.

moto-six likes this.
  6. moto-six

moto-six Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks for the tuff love. Sure you arI switched from the Motorola Q and hated the Dare, then, got rid of the Dare for the G1, love it!

7. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    I just switched to the captivate from an e71 a few days ago. I really like the swype keyboard. Its great for normal text entry, but so -so for entering things with random letters for passwords.

8. MJM128

MJM128 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    I'm used to a touch keyboard now, but I wouldn't say it's better than a physical keyboard. I can type sooo much faster on a physical keyboard and also I wish i had one for gameboid as that's a whole lot better than the touch screen. I guess it's just preference. Although I can type really fast with swype.

9. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Dog Walker
    North Carolina
    I hardly use the physical keyboard on my moment. It does come in handy sometimes, and I like the option, but I mainly use the on screen KB with better keyboard.

10. stainlessray

stainlessray Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    already said in details...;)
    the right coast
    I tinkered with an iphone a long time ago and was like "eew" rocked a samsung blackjack 2 for 2 years+ and was like "yeah!" then i fell to impulse to get evo, hottest newest thing, and was like "idk" but after a month i'm like "whoa!" and even using slideIt (like swype, wich i can't presently get) and i'm like "HELL YES!" dunno why i was soooo worried 'bout goin soft.... faster than ever, all my friends are like "what's that?" and i say "this is how i text now" and they go "i want that!" ;)

11. moto-six

moto-six Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Texas
    stainlessray, I am sure I will be the same way.
    Nearly bricked my G1 today, prolly going to be upgrading and "going soft" sooner that I plan anyway.

I will let you guys know how it goes, thanks for the personal accounts and insight!

12. moto-six

moto-six Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Texas
    K-Rizzle, I had this master plan to slowly phase out the use of my phyical keyboard, but it's like crack! I keep going back! :eek:

Love the username K-Rizzle by the way. :D

13. moto-six

moto-six Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Texas
    Hadn't heard of it before, checking it out now......
    Thanks!

14. Super Noob

Super Noob Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    I used to have a samsung moment which had a horizontal keyboard. I moved to the evo which only has a virtual keyboard, and I have had no problems adjusting to it. Actually swype is about all I use now.

Swype | Text Input for Screens

15. corey8084

corey8084 New Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Get the Motorola Droid, it has both and will allow you to transit to soft or continue with the physical. :)

16. moto-six

moto-six Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Texas
    I am really going to give this Swype some serious consideration. Let you guys know what I think.

corey8084, I do like the Droid too, but not that much different from the HTC dream, only, a Droid has a nicer screen, faster proc, a sleeker design, ummm. Hmmm, Droid you say?

17. chrlswltrs

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    Get the Droid 2 when it comes out if you want to try this, don't buy a phone that is being phased out now and will be gone in a month or so.

18. moto-six

moto-six Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Texas
    Right. Droid, Droid 2, both a step up for me. A lot of good stuff coming out later this year. Gonna wait and have my pick.

Hey chrlswltrs, you a cowboy fan? I love the Cowboys, especially when they are winning.

19. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    What you really need to do is try out any device that you're considering. Test drive, test drive, test drive. You don't buy a car without one, right?

It doesn't matter if I or anyone else was ok with the switch. It's your perception that matters. You can read replies all day and still not stand virtual keyboards.

My other advice is this: Don't assume all keyboards (physical or virtual) are the same -- even within the groups that you classify them into.

20. chrlswltrs

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    Die hard cowboys fan. Always have been, always will be, winning or losing although I do enjoy it a lot more when they are winning.

Here is my Droid X with my cowboys skin:
    http://androidforums.com/accessories-droid-x/117984-nfl-skins.html

Once football season starts all of my phone wallpapers and ringtones get switched to football/Cowboys.

I also have the Cowboys star tattooed on my arm!

21. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Swype is the best touch screen input method out there. Even better than having a physical keyboard.

22. Tangent

Tangent Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    My first experience with an Android phone was a Droid Eris I evaluated for my work last year that I used for a couple of weeks. I kept mistyping on the soft keyboard and just didn't like it so when I started researching Androids to buy for myself, a physical keyboard was very important. A few weeks ago I bought myself a myTouch Slide. I really liked the physical keyboard, and only would use the soft keyboard for very quick text entries.

Then I decided to give the pre-installed Swype a try. I haven't bothered to slide out the physical keyboard in a couple of weeks now...

23. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Male
    Head Chef
    Worcester, UK
    i went from a G1 with a physical and a soft keyboard (used the soft a handful of times) i loved my hard keyboard especially for typing long emails or the like.

now on a galaxy s with swype and its amazing so so good. everyone i show is amazed by it and iphone user said how do i set that on my phone (haha)
    ive also got swiftkey beta and its good but i think swype is faster.

hope that's some help?

24. moto-six

moto-six Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Texas
    Sweet! What score board app you running?