• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EOL/ Replacement Phone

OverByter

Resident Slide Rule Guru
Dec 12, 2010
CT, USA
Virgin sent me a replacement yesterday that was defective, Called for a new replacement and they are completely out of stock, gave me the unprecedented choice of being on a waiting list or swapping to a Samsung Victory LTE. I chose to wait, but after 6 replacement Triumph's, Virgin never offered to swap for a different phone so this really does look like the end for our beloved little Evo.:(
OB

Came out the end of May, so it's been almost a year. For them to offer me the Victory instead makes it really seem like they are aggressively moving people to LTE. Spec wise it's still up there, the Victory, Evo and SGS2 all have 1.2 Ghz dual core, the Victory has a smaller 4" screen.
OB

Upvote 0
Damn...

It's odd to me. Charlotte NC was one of the first 5 cities to get Wimax...We still don't have LTE from sprint according to a coworker who has a Samsung GS3.

If I was offered an LTE phone as a replacement for my Evo V, I'd probably decline too...as I'd be limited to 3G speeds. That being said, I'd have little choice at an alternative...the only other Wimax phone I believe is the Samsung GS2 right? Did they not offer that one to you?

I have Black Tie Protection through Best Buy...but what good is $149.99 going to do for me when I can't buy a comperable replacement for that much?

How's the development community for the Victory? Was that phone brought over from another carrier, or was it made just for Virgin? I believe Prinny now has one of those. You should ask his opinion on it before you decline for good...

Upvote 0
I plan on upgrading this summer, hopefully we'll get the Evo LTE, I might have thought about the SGS2 but the dev community isn't really taking off although it just got official JB last month as a Kies download, not an ota. I have so many accessories for this phone that the Victory just isn't attractive to me, supposedly LTE is starting to show up around here, I'm in southern Ct, about 90 miles outside of NYC.
OB

Upvote 0
Damn...

It's odd to me. Charlotte NC was one of the first 5 cities to get Wimax...We still don't have LTE from sprint according to a coworker who has a Samsung GS3.

If I was offered an LTE phone as a replacement for my Evo V, I'd probably decline too...as I'd be limited to 3G speeds. That being said, I'd have little choice at an alternative...the only other Wimax phone I believe is the Samsung GS2 right? Did they not offer that one to you?

I have Black Tie Protection through Best Buy...but what good is $149.99 going to do for me when I can't buy a comperable replacement for that much?

How's the development community for the Victory? Was that phone brought over from another carrier, or was it made just for Virgin? I believe Prinny now has one of those. You should ask his opinion on it before you decline for good...

They don't have MIUI/CM10/Good custom kernels. I would avoid it (or take a victory and sell it) and wait for the evo 4g LTE.

Upvote 0
I plan on upgrading this summer, hopefully we'll get the Evo LTE, I might have thought about the SGS2 but the dev community isn't really taking off although it just got official JB last month as a Kies download, not an ota. I have so many accessories for this phone that the Victory just isn't attractive to me, supposedly LTE is starting to show up around here, I'm in southern Ct, about 90 miles outside of NYC.
OB

I'm near the mass border and my mom has a GS3 for sprint and there's no LTE here either, I have seen some workers on nearby towers but I'm not getting my hopes up lol I did notice not too long ago that Hartford is available in the speedtest app

Upvote 0
I just got a replacement evo v yesterday. But for the first time its a plum colored? Do they only have plum left?

That's what I received, unfortunately spent 3 hours activating it because it was still tied to another account, after all that I plugged it into the computer to root it and the port only charges, doesn't show the popup about charge only, sync or disk drive. Called them back and was told that they are completely out. Which I can definitely believe because I've never heard of Virgin willingly offering a different phone. Might be me though, I'm quite persistent when dealing with customer service, had them credit my account $10 just for the aggravation. :rolleyes:
OB

Upvote 0
I have a question if you did have lte in your area would consider getting it as a replacement I'm just wondering :questionmark:.
Thanks ,
Tony

That might make me think about for a second, and then say no. When I finally sell this thing I have so many accessories, dock with battery charging slot, 5 standard, 3 extended batteries, a few different cases, mhl cable, screen protectors. I think that it would be close to impossible to try selling the extras without the phone to go with them. :D:p
OB

Upvote 0
That might make me think about for a second, and then say no. When I finally sell this thing I have so many accessories, dock with battery charging slot, 5 standard, 3 extended batteries, a few different cases, mhl cable, screen protectors. I think that it would be close to impossible to try selling the extras without the phone to go with them. :D:p
OB

Hi , I'd have to ask why not ? . I know the phone specs aren't better than the evo v , but my 3g isn't great and wimax is not that great . I only get it outside once inside it's nothing but 3g. I love the phone , but lately reception has been all over the place.
Thanks ,
Tony

Upvote 0
Besides trying to sell my accessories without a phone I have excellent wimax coverage, even in my basement, doesn't look like I'll see LTE doing that around here for awhile. Plus it's a smaller screen, single 5 mp camera, really not an upgrade in any sense. Plus we have a wonderful dev community that the Victory will never be able to match. :rolleyes:
OB

Upvote 0
OB

What is a kies download? My buddy has the sgs2 on sprint and would be interested

May I ask what happened that required a replacement EVO?

I really don't want another phone until one comes on virgin with same or better resolution than the EVO

Upvote 0
Kies is Samsung flashing software, instead of JB being pushed out ota, you download it yourself from Sammy and flash it to the phone with the hated by most Kies software. I will definitely go for the Evo LTE if it's released at $300 or so. Oh and my on board charger has crapped out and my warranty is up in June so to preserve what little resale value I want one actually works.
OB

Upvote 0
Kies is Samsung flashing software, instead of JB being pushed out ota, you download it yourself from Sammy and flash it to the phone with the hated by most Kies software. I will definitely go for the Evo LTE if it's released at $300 or so. Oh and my on board charger has crapped out and my warranty is up in June so to preserve what little resale value I want one actually works.
OB

The mini USB charging port?

Upvote 0
I have neither Wimax nor LTE in my area but I heard Wimax is discontinued so I'm more likely to eventually get LTE than Wimax. Is the Galaxy Victory a good alternative for me? I don't care much about 3D. Besides 3D it seems all the EVO V has over the Victory is screen size. Victory has S-Beam as well. Is it better for me to get a Victory replacement or stick with the EVO V?
IwBWow81JwATCgEIowESnyspAQCBACH5BAQFAAAALAAAAAAIAA8AAAdhgACCAAmCOoM4b4ccg0N8dQAZACgeAFUWIQ0DM3MKCGhQJ5NYKmgIB4MAHF4DgjtlZGolg2RYWGcoqYIXRAGDEiluZagAAxtQBUkZHRAAfnEAPQInL4MGJBEBkoIECg+qgQA7

Upvote 0
I have neither Wimax nor LTE in my area but I heard Wimax is discontinued so I'm more likely to eventually get LTE than Wimax. Is the Galaxy Victory a good alternative for me? I don't care much about 3D. Besides 3D it seems all the EVO V has over the Victory is screen size. Victory has S-Beam as well. Is it better for me to get a Victory replacement or stick with the EVO V?

If you don't care about rooting, flashing roms and what-not at all onto your phone, don't care about 3d, or a .3 inch smaller screen size, and have LTE coming to your area, I would go for the victory. The evo v is EOL but devs are still all over the place for some reason.*hint: developers please come to the htc amaze :3* If you were to sell the evo you'd get less than 150 and maybe more than 100$. I like the GS2 over the Evo (blasphemy on this forum lol) but its totally up to you I'm just pointing stuff out.

Reactions: ShadyBusiness
Upvote 0
.3 inches can't make that much of a difference can it? Also another interesting thing is the VM coverage map doesn't say I have LTE in my area but when googling Sprint LTE [city name] there is proof that people are getting LTE. Also the Victory is relatively new so maybe the Dev community will pick up? Either way it comes with Jellybean stock which isn't so bad.
IwBWow81JwATCgEIowESnyspAQCBACH5BAQFAAAALAAAAAAIAA8AAAdhgACCAAmCOoM4b4ccg0N8dQAZACgeAFUWIQ0DM3MKCGhQJ5NYKmgIB4MAHF4DgjtlZGolg2RYWGcoqYIXRAGDEiluZagAAxtQBUkZHRAAfnEAPQInL4MGJBEBkoIECg+qgQA7

Upvote 0
.3 inches can't make that much of a difference can it? Also another interesting thing is the VM coverage map doesn't say I have LTE in my area but when googling Sprint LTE [city name] there is proof that people are getting LTE. Also the Victory is relatively new so maybe the Dev community will pick up? Either way it comes with Jellybean stock which isn't so bad.

Yeah it really doesn't. Some people have huge hands so it could but for the average person, definitely not much of a difference. The dev community could pick up but the phone was not that appealing to people. If people are getting LTE in your area that means its coming/expanding in your area. Jellybean is just one notch behind the current android version.

Reactions: ShadyBusiness
Upvote 0
Judge for yourself, I will definitely wait for something more worthy: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416583,00.asp
P.S. Embedded images usually break, use a hosting site and just paste the link.
OB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones