• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root er...no incoming call ringtone now on redux :-(

davo26

Android Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2011
thatll teach me to play with it when it was working so well :-(

did a nandroid of redux with phone working fine, wiped and installed oxygen, got fed up cos titanium wouldnt restore my data again, so reverted back to redux. no other changes. so youd expect it to be exactly the same.

but now it wont make a noise on incoming calls. it only vibrates. last time it was a leedroid sms problem that was solved by something easy. but im sure ive looked at every setting i can think of for this. volumes up, ringtone is selected, the sms volumes fine with the same ringtone....... what else can i try?

thanks

You just nandroid restored, not titanium restored?

as ive gone from rom to rom, ive backed up to titanium and done a nandroid each time. with each new rom ive tried, titanium hasnt backed up my data, just the app. i seem to remember a few moons ago, you mentioned youd had this too when you went to leedroid, or redux, i cant remember which? so i thought ok, just one of those things.
i had everything working ok on redux, but you know how it is, people were saying oxygen is great etc etc :) so i thought id try it. titanium back up, nandroid to go back to redux if i want, wipe cache, factory reset etc.
tried oxygen and dint really give it a full try because titanium only restored the apps again, even tho i did apps and data.
i thought i dont really want to be messing about again trying to get all my data back the long way, so just nadroided my fully working version of redux again.

but...... this time no volume on incoming calls, only vibrate. and it didnt even vibrate to start with, i had to reset that. so.... the nandroid didnt set the phone back to exactly as it was, which i thought was the idea. settings, apps, data, all should have been just as i left it no?

and just to make matters worse, ive just gone to take a pic with the camera, and it tells me to load an sd card before taking pictures!! whaaaat?? i go into storage and it gives my sd storage, so it obviously recognises it, but the camera wont.

i think im just about ready to nandroid my original stock rom, as ive had nothing but trouble since i started playing around, which is a shame, cos i liked the idea of changing it around :)

id be totally happy with my original if it wadsnt for trying to get more out of a bad battery, but im just getting more problems each time i flash a rom or nandroid :-(

thanks a lot for your help, i couldnt have asked for more from this forum really. quick and helpful responses to my problems, but im just getting too many to make it worthwhile. seemed to be camped on here all day sorting stuff rather than getting out and enjoying myself!!

Upvote 0
Can you save anything to the card (from Android app, not USB)?

If the camera is saying it can't find the card, but you can see data on it, this could mean it is mounted read-only. There's a thread about this in the support and troubleshooting sub-forum.

I had this the other day after a card problem, and fixed it using the disk utility on my macbook. If you are on Windows something like chckdisk might do the trick (there may be GUI versions these days - not a big Windows user).

Upvote 0
Can you save anything to the card (from Android app, not USB)?

If the camera is saying it can't find the card, but you can see data on it, this could mean it is mounted read-only. There's a thread about this in the support and troubleshooting sub-forum.

I had this the other day after a card problem, and fixed it using the disk utility on my macbook. If you are on Windows something like chckdisk might do the trick (there may be GUI versions these days - not a big Windows user).

had a look on that thread thanks, but they didnt seem to have same problem as me, but what i did do is what someone on there suggested, took out card, reseated and booted up again. and its fine now, so thanks for that.

but still no volume on incoming calls :-( any idea for this one before i wipe my hands of these roms and go back to stock? :-/

thanks a lot

Upvote 0
Ah well, reseating the card is even easier if it works - didn't for me though.

The "no volume on incoming calls" is odd. If sound is on, ringtone set etc, all I can think of is that maybe the ringer specifically is set silent (rather than the phone generally). Have you checked under the "sounds -> volume" menu (or maybe with a widget like audiomanager), because it is possible to have notifications sounding while ring is silent? But TBH it sounds a long shot, because the obvious thing (the volume key) changes ring volume rather than notifications (unless the 2 are set to use the same level), so it would be much easier to silence notifications but not ring than the other way round.

I suspect the reason SUroot asked whether you'd done Ti or just nandroid restore was in case you'd restored some conflicting data or settings, which could have an odd effect (especially if there was something odd with the card at the time). But if it's just a nandroid restore that shouldn't be the issue. A nandroid not restoring to the original condition seems odd in itself - I've never had that happen to me.

If you are thinking of nandroiding back to the original ROM anyway, you could try clearing data in the phone app and seeing whether that fixes it? If not, try a factory reset, see if that fixes it, and if it does try restoring apps and their data, but not system settings, from Ti (I know you've had no luck with Ti restore, but I'd hope that if you made the backup with Redux you could restore it to the same ROM). Wiping and restoring is a pain, but if you are going to revert to a different ROM anyway there's not much to lose by trying it.

Upvote 0
Ah well, reseating the card is even easier if it works - didn't for me though.

The "no volume on incoming calls" is odd. If sound is on, ringtone set etc, all I can think of is that maybe the ringer specifically is set silent (rather than the phone generally). Have you checked under the "sounds -> volume" menu (or maybe with a widget like audiomanager), because it is possible to have notifications sounding while ring is silent? But TBH it sounds a long shot, because the obvious thing (the volume key) changes ring volume rather than notifications (unless the 2 are set to use the same level), so it would be much easier to silence notifications but not ring than the other way round.

I suspect the reason SUroot asked whether you'd done Ti or just nandroid restore was in case you'd restored some conflicting data or settings, which could have an odd effect (especially if there was something odd with the card at the time). But if it's just a nandroid restore that shouldn't be the issue. A nandroid not restoring to the original condition seems odd in itself - I've never had that happen to me.

If you are thinking of nandroiding back to the original ROM anyway, you could try clearing data in the phone app and seeing whether that fixes it? If not, try a factory reset, see if that fixes it, and if it does try restoring apps and their data, but not system settings, from Ti (I know you've had no luck with Ti restore, but I'd hope that if you made the backup with Redux you could restore it to the same ROM). Wiping and restoring is a pain, but if you are going to revert to a different ROM anyway there's not much to lose by trying it.

i know what you mean about it being easier for notifications to be silent, i had that before and that was an easy fix in the sms menu.
its certainly an odd one. ive checked the sound settings and even chosen a stock ringtone, just to be sure its not one of my downloaded tones thats the problem. it rings to give the example, so i know its ok, but just doesnt ring for calls.
as for restoring system settings, again, i learnt that before the hard way, so am clued up on that now :) i just restore apps and data, one at a time from ti.

clearing data in the phone app? not quite sure exactly what you mean there, could you explain a bit more please? you mean from recovery? data wipe? so in effect load the same nandroid again from scratch?
if thats not what you mean then at least it sounds worth a shot anyway, but could you please tell me exactly what you mean by clearing data in the phone app?

thanks a lot

Upvote 0
settings>applications>manage applications>phone>clear data

ah right thanks. actually before i read that, i did the above, wiped cache, dalvik, factory reset and restored the nandroid.
weirdly enough it booted up again and this time ringtone was working but a ringtone ive never hear before. and no vibrate. went into sounds/ringtone and there was nothing selected at all! chose a random one which worked, so then used astro to find my mp3 sound, and set as ringtone.

and it works!! vibrate was set to 'never' so set it to always. havent got a clue why that happened, but at least for now its ok. until i find something else :)

now to pop back over to my 'data from nandroid' thread and see if can restore my time sheet settings! its all go isnt it :)

thanks a lot for your help, its appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones