• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris Users Rejoice!

If no one gets the update tonight or Monday night, Verizon probably stopped sending it out. It's usually like 250,000 get the update on one night, then the rest get it another night.

I only know one Verizon employee personally, a lady who used to manage a Radio Shack here in town. She was with Alltel for about two years before Verizon acquired it.

A very nice person, and also a person who generally stays out of the rumor mill sort of things.

She had nothing at all to say about the original OTA, 1.5 to 2.1, up until it was announced and posted on Verizon's update page in their support section.

Asked about this particular update she said, "I don't know anything about it. Where do you hear this stuff? If there is going to be another update for the Eris I would be shocked."

Upvote 0
it is weird too how when i was in the local store the other day and playing with a dinc(no pun intended), and i checked the software version and it said v2.1 Update-1...hmmmmm

I think that they are all shipped like that. A co- worker has the inc and his says the same thing. Im thinking its the official 2.1 and not a leak. I think that is how verizon knows if you have a leaked version of 2.1 which it doesn't say update. i could be wrong though

Upvote 0
Power down your phone and on the restart go to Menu-Settings-About Phone-Battery- What has been using battery- and then look at Cell Stand-by. If it is showing 50% signal loss, then you have it...

ok i do this and its blank? nothing showing up. is something wrong?

Firmware version

Baseband Version

Kernel Version
2.6.29-8a03cb9a
htc-kernal@18-2#1

Build number
2.36.605.1 CL 165907 Release-keys

Software Number

destrex XC SHIP S-ON
Hboot 1.47.0000

Upvote 0
Try this.

There is a fix:
1) Go to dialer, put in *#*#4636#*#*
2) Press Phone Information
3) Press Menu, and pick Select Radio Band (ITS NORMAL TO GET A FORCE CLOSE)
4) Go down and change GSM Auto(PRL) to CDMA Auto (PRL)

The reason this is sucking battery is because the phone is connected using CDMA PRL but its set to GSM so its looking for a signal via SIM, which we don't have.

xda-developers - View Single Post - 2.1 users what is your Time without a signal %"

I did this, and my "usage" for "Cell Standby" dropped from 54% to 14%.
I take it thats a GOOD thing!

Upvote 0
I think that they are all shipped like that. A co- worker has the inc and his says the same thing. Im thinking its the official 2.1 and not a leak. I think that is how verizon knows if you have a leaked version of 2.1 which it doesn't say update. i could be wrong though

thing is, is it was pretty ragged. it wasnt new. thats for sure

Upvote 0
I am on my 3rd eris, ie 2nd replacement phone since the update to android 2.1.

Since the update it has plagued with many issues which Verizon has no answer and certainly no update. It is almost non-functional as a phone.

After complaining and complaining to Verizon, they are giving me the HTC Incredible at one year pricing.

I would urge all of you to do the same, do let them get away with this inferior product upgrade

Upvote 0
After complaining and complaining to Verizon, they are giving me the HTC Incredible at one year pricing.
Let us know how that Incredible works out... Take a look at this post, http://androidforums.com/1058880-post412.html, specifically, this part of the comment:
"I had 4 Eris' with the silent bug before abandoning it and getting the Incredible... which also has the silent bug. I went to Verizon yesterday and was told they are no longer swapping phones because it doesn't solve the problem - the replacement phone will have the same issue."

Upvote 0
I am on my 3rd eris..

..It is almost non-functional as a phone.

I would urge all of you to do the same..

I would urge anybody with the "silent bug" to root to a ROM that is not bound to Sense, as the Eris and Incredible both are (stock) and both exhibit that bug.

Upvote 0
I would urge anybody with the "silent bug" to root to a ROM that is not bound to Sense, as the Eris and Incredible both are (stock) and both exhibit that bug.

Frisco, are you absolutely positive if I root then the silent bug won't show up?
What/which ROM do you mean?
Although I am computer guy I am it afraid to mess up the phone....
Any good step-by-step installation istruction for that particular ROM?
And lastly, is there a way to reverse back to the state prior to root (if I don;t like it)?

Appreciate it.
Peter

Upvote 0
Let us know how that Incredible works out... Take a look at this post, http://androidforums.com/1058880-post412.html, specifically, this part of the comment:

Yeah, a lot of people think the Incredible is better, but in reality, it's just a faster Eris with a slightly larger screen. It has most, if not all of the bugs Eris users report. Thank God I don't suffer from any of those bugs (yet). The day I do is the day I root my phone or disable Sense.

Upvote 0
Yeah, a lot of people think the Incredible is better, but in reality, it's just a faster Eris with a slightly larger screen. It has most, if not all of the bugs Eris users report. Thank God I don't suffer from any of those bugs (yet). The day I do is the day I root my phone or disable Sense.

I have Home Switcher on my phone if I remember correctly I still have the silent bug...
Peter

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones