• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eris vs. Devour

MOTO had some legendary cdma phones. If a razr was dropping calls it was on ATT. E815 razr v3m and v3c were awesome phones. Itap was the best predictive txt I've used and the phones had some features that smartphones are just now picking up. If it wasn't for the most poorly designed charge port the world has ever seen on the older phones I think MOTO would be doing much better now a lot of.folks were so pissed about that they never gave them another shot. Their smartphones have always felt.kind of flimsy to me though. DEvour is getting there but still not my cup of tea. I'll be keeping an eye on later models though in hopes I can get my MOTO fanboy on again someday!

The next Google phone is going moat probably going to be a Motorola phone, codenamed the Shadow. Still not a whole lot on it, but I think it could be sporting the next processor after the Snapdragon. Probably more info and spy shots in the Fall and then released sometime next year.

But I passed on the Droid because of Motorola's crap image prior to it. Kinda regret it now.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I work at best buy, so ive gotten to play around with the devour a lot. Its kind of ugly, but what really turns me off is the fact that the screen is so small and the phone is so big. The keyboard is great, if the droid had the devours keyboard I would buy it in a heartbeat. Also, the camera is way better on the eris (5MP vs 3MP). So the eris is smallet, lighter, better looking, but the devour has a keyboard. However the devour is basically the same price as the droid, which is a better phone by far. If you want a keyboard get a droid or devour, if you want just a touchsceen go with the eris/ incredible/ nexus one

Upvote 0
How does the Eris stack up against the Devour?

Personally, I like the form factor of the Eris but I would really like a physical keyboard. The droid's keyboard sucked.

I know Eris runs 1.5 (soon 2.1?) and Devour 1.6. HTC vs. Motoblur.

How do the internals stack up? Processor... RAM.... etc. Can someone break it down for me?:thinking:

MY eris runs 2.1 :D

Upvote 0
I almost got a devour. I didn't really like motoblur, but found out you can remove the widgets if you don't want them on the home screen. I really liked the build and feel of the devour. It is nice that the battery and microSD card are accessible from the side of the phone. It is definitely a solidly built phone. I liked the physical keyboard despite the space bar between the v and b keys. One thing I didn't like is that the devour automatically syncs your facebook contacts and shows them with all of your contacts and there is no way to turn off the syncing. You can filter the contacts to only show your google/phone contacts, but the facebook contacts still remain on the phone. As others have said, the devour has a 3 megapixel camera and I believe it lacks auto focus and I've heard it has trouble scanning barcodes.

I eventually decided to get the eris mainly because of its size and I'm pretty happy with it despite the poor battery life. I just ordered the innocell 1750maH battery. Hopefully I'll get a little more out of that one.

Upvote 0
I played with the devour for the first time yesterday. It's ugly. At least the Droid has some...style to it, in it's boldness. The keyboard is definitely better...but still doesn't compare to something like the EnV's physical keyboard.

As far as MotoBlur...meh, wasn't doing it for me.

I'll take my Eris over it anyday.

Upvote 0
i like the look of the Devour. and the sliding mechanism for the keyboard seems wonderful. the only strange thing about it for me was the screen had that plastic mushy feel that most resistive screens have. it would be very odd for it to have a plastic screen but that's exactly how it felt. anyone else notice that?
Most Android phones, Eris included, have plastic screens. They do not, however, have the thin layer of plastic like resistive screens.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones