• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help error code 97: phone is fubar'd

If you are up and running, with dialer codes working again, I cannot recommend doing a Hands Free Activation more. Get your 6 digit MSL # from Sprint and do a reset that will kick into Hand Free Activation (see previous posts in this thread). I'd recommend doing this away from your home tower as well.

Get your phone fully re-activated with an updated PRL and Profile before worrying about anything else, Google, Outlook, text messages, or that glorified bloat ware called Sprint Zone. Sprint Zone should not be a fixation. If you can access the internet your 3G works, and if you can dial out a call your voice works.

As of right now, everything on my phone works as it should. PRL's updated, Profile updated.

The only thing I have not done is re-add Outlook, or gone thru the Encryption Process.

I understand the Sprint Zone is bloatware, but I think it ties into the errors people are seeing. And now that the Sprint Zone app is fully updated, it has been doing everything it should normally do.

So what was causing the error then? I've only done 2 things different upon this reset.

1. I did not re-add Outlook(Encryption Process), but I might do that Sunday to see if the error comes back or not.

2. Without Outlook added, I checked the Sprint Zone app before anything, did updates thru that. if you read my previous posts, it wasn't doing things when the vDM Client error was there...now it works perfectly fine.

I'd see if Mr. Ed has any input to the Sprint Zone app, since he works for Sprint.

By the way, the vDM Client app now has a total of 1.16MB, 576KB as APP, 608KB as Data. yesterday it was always stuck at 612KB.

Upvote 0
Nope wasn't on wifi.. :thinking:

Just wondering....I'm at 6+ hrs now and the issue has not returned at all. Been testing every once in awhile, and the phone seems to be working as it did in the beginning.

True test will be when I re-add Outlook over the Weekend. If issue doesnt re-appear after the Encryption, then I really have no clue.

For me, it's either the Outlook/Encryption, or the Sprint Zone app messing in parts of the phone it shouldnt.

Upvote 0
Interesting ...I am running outlook without encryption

no issues with sprint zone ...I keep it on my phone to show customers

Unfortunately I have to do encryption cause of work. But I am going to re-add it tomorrow or Sunday and see what it happens.

I truly believe it might be the Sprint Zone. I never looked to make sure it was updated before, but now I am.

Almost everytime I go to the app, it say Account Data Updated.

any thoughts on that Mr. Ed??

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I have to do encryption cause of work. But I am going to re-add it tomorrow or Sunday and see what it happens.

I truly believe it might be the Sprint Zone. I never looked to make sure it was updated before, but now I am.

Almost everytime I go to the app, it say Account Data Updated.

any thoughts on that Mr. Ed??

Sprint zone would be affected bit not the cause. every time you open sprint zone it updates and displays your current sprint account info and data usage...thus that message

a good test would be this
find someone with the issue
have them connect to WiFi
update sprintzone

Upvote 0
Been a whole day + and no issues at all. Will try re-adding Outlook tomorrow.

still can't tell where the vDM client error comes from.

Have you tried adding outlook yet? Another option is just to encrypt the SD card and internal card w/o adding Outlook. Try that before adding outlook and see what happens when you do a PRL update. My issues have been very similar to yours, let me recap my experience (have not Rooted phone):

1) Bought phone on launch day, installed Google Voice, Outlook (required encryption of SD card and internal memory for work). These are the only apps I can think of that might be causes. Did not experience any issues with performing PRL/Profile updates until after the latest Sprint update (mid-july)

2) Noticed the vDM issue a week or two after the newest sprint update when trying to perform a PRL update. This occurred around 7/16/12. After 2 master resets, still experienced the same problems (though admittedly this was after reinstalling all apps and outlook). Voice/data working but could not send/receive MMS messages.

3) Replacement phone received on 7/28. Encrypted both SD and internal memory without adding Outlook and noticed that I could repeat the vDM issue. Also still having MMS problems.

4) 8/2 deleted my GV account from the web and reinstalled app/account on phone. MMS messages are working now but still have the vDM issue.

My best guess is that once a certain file gets encrypted on the internal memory, there is a bug that prevents PRL/Profile updates from communicating with the network. There are possibly other ways to get this error since some have reported no Outlook or encryption. I was also thinking it was a GV issue but others are reporting not having GV either.

evotitans - let us know if you can repeat the vDM error after encrypting, but before adding Outlook. I would recommend these steps:
1) Encrypt SD card, try to perform PRL/Profile update
2) If successful, encrypt internal memory and reperform PRL/Profile update
3) If successful, add Outlook and reperform PRL/Profile update

Upvote 0
Outlook could be a trigger but there have been a few phones with the issue that do not have outlook use at all

So far I see only two scenarios
1. Airave interference
2. Corrupt data profile

Airave support can walk one through fixing an issue there

A corrupt data profile can be fixed at a service and repair store
If they do not know how, they need to look it up in "the forum"

Upvote 0
Outlook could be a trigger but there have been a few phones with the issue that do not have outlook use at all

So far I see only two scenarios
1. Airave interference
2. Corrupt data profile

Airave support can walk one through fixing an issue there

A corrupt data profile can be fixed at a service and repair store
If they do not know how, they need to look it up in "the forum"

To me it seems more like the encryption process that is causing the error, not Outlook. Also, I don't have Airave so that wouldn't be what's triggering the vDM error for me. Is there a way to fix the corrupt data profile without going into the store? if it requires ##dialer codes# that's not going to work for me since I cannot get any to work. Perhaps there is a *#*#code#*#* that I could try?

If it was a corrupt data profile, what would be the explanation for voice/data working?

Upvote 0
To me it seems more like the encryption process that is causing the error, not Outlook. Also, I don't have Airave so that wouldn't be what's triggering the vDM error for me. Is there a way to fix the corrupt data profile without going into the store? if it requires ##dialer codes# that's not going to work for me since I cannot get any to work. Perhaps there is a *#*#code#*#* that I could try?

If it was a corrupt data profile, what would be the explanation for voice/data working?

Honestly no, I have not had the time to re-add Outlook, for if the encryption process is what's causing the error, I havent had the time to go back and forth with re-adding everything after resets.

Only difference was that I was not getting MMS w/ the vDM Client issue, unless I was on Wifi. Maybe you were too?

Curious that you explained exactly what my issue was though.

bpin, can you go into your Sprint Zone app, under Help and see if the Voice fails?

I'm wondering if the Encryption process does block certain files on the phone from connecting to the Data profile correctly?

Possible bug in the last update? As that is when the issue occured.

Upvote 0
Yes, my voice status currently has the red 'X' and says that voice test has failed. Says to update profile but obviously that is not going to work. Doesn't even pull me to the update profile screen where it tries to execute before vDM error-ing out....the window just closes when I push "Update profile" within the Sprint Zone app.

It seems I have a corrupt data profile but is there any way to fix without having to take in to a knowledgeable store tech?

My MMS issues are gone now after deleting my Google Voice account and re-enabling. Previously I had to be on wifi to send/receive MMS but now that I've refreshed my google account my MMS is working even though I still have the vDM issue.

Honestly no, I have not had the time to re-add Outlook, for if the encryption process is what's causing the error, I havent had the time to go back and forth with re-adding everything after resets.

Only difference was that I was not getting MMS w/ the vDM Client issue, unless I was on Wifi. Maybe you were too?

Curious that you explained exactly what my issue was though.

bpin, can you go into your Sprint Zone app, under Help and see if the Voice fails?

I'm wondering if the Encryption process does block certain files on the phone from connecting to the Data profile correctly?

Possible bug in the last update? As that is when the issue occured.

Upvote 0
I never do anything in the Sprint Zone app, I'm not sure I've even activated it on my phone. Does updating the profile within the Sprint Zone app do the same thing as through Settings, System Updates?

Same thing, Kicks over to "Device Configuration" screen. It basically is just a shortcut to the same base process it appears more or less. Since you haven't yet, I wouldn't mess with Sprint Zone at all.

Upvote 0
Yes, my voice status currently has the red 'X' and says that voice test has failed. Says to update profile but obviously that is not going to work. Doesn't even pull me to the update profile screen where it tries to execute before vDM error-ing out....the window just closes when I push "Update profile" within the Sprint Zone app.

It seems I have a corrupt data profile but is there any way to fix without having to take in to a knowledgeable store tech?

My MMS issues are gone now after deleting my Google Voice account and re-enabling. Previously I had to be on wifi to send/receive MMS but now that I've refreshed my google account my MMS is working even though I still have the vDM issue.

I was expecting the Red X on the Sprint Zone app. Since the app is tied into your Data Profile, I think its showing its curropt, but obviously not the Data side since the voice is what has the fail.

Whats odd is that you are getting MMS but still the vDM Client issue. I dont have a Google Voice, at least not one I have ever used.

My MMS would not work with the vDM Client, unless I was on Wifi.

Well if they know it's from a corrupt Data Profile, THAT should be an easy fix, but apparantly it isn't.

Well I'm done my necessary backup to re-add Outlook since the Encryption erases the SD card. Hopefully the vDM Client DOES NOT return. I will update.

Upvote 0
WOW well nice to see that when I added Outlook and the Encryption process was going thru it FULLY RESET my phone.

Thankfully I backed up everything before hand.

Outlook added and Encrypted, but since the phone Factory Reset before it, Sprint Zone app is NOT updated. When I go into it I get Red X for Voice.

Cannot pull up Dial Codes, vDM Client issue is BACK.

Upvote 0
The only way I was able to resolve my error 97 and vdm error was to take my phone to a Sprint store, after they tried some stuff & everything was unsuccessful they swapped it out with a new phone. Have you been to a store for them to look at your phone yet?

Yea this is my 2nd phone lol. Now I'm just trying to prove a point or find where the error comes from.

It's more of just a pain than anything else now, and I hate not knowing what a solution might be.

So far, the phone was perfectly fine without Outlook, so I might just need to go back to that.

Even with Sprint Zone app updated, was still getting Red X on Voice(Pretty sure this is the MMS issue) and vDM Client bad even with Profile updated. No Dial codes working.

It has to be something in the Encryption process, I cannot find any other reasoning.

So going BACK to the way it was with NO Outlook, until that can be cured.

Upvote 0
Yea this is my 2nd phone lol. Now I'm just trying to prove a point or find where the error comes from.

It's more of just a pain than anything else now, and I hate not knowing what a solution might be.

So far, the phone was perfectly fine without Outlook, so I might just need to go back to that.

Even with Sprint Zone app updated, was still getting Red X on Voice(Pretty sure this is the MMS issue) and vDM Client bad even with Profile updated. No Dial codes working.

It has to be something in the Encryption process, I cannot find any other reasoning.

So going BACK to the way it was with NO Outlook, until that can be cured.

OK, gotcha. Sorry I didn't feel like scrolling back through the posts earlier to see if you ever said you swapped it out. :D

It could be the encryption process for you - but that definitely wasn't the cause for me since I don't use Outlook on my phone; for me the errors just started happening out of the blue a couple weeks ago. I waited overnight and even until getting to work the next day to see if it would just fix itself, when it didn't, I went to the Sprint store after work.

Upvote 0
OK, gotcha. Sorry I didn't feel like scrolling back through the posts earlier to see if you ever said you swapped it out. :D

It could be the encryption process for you - but that definitely wasn't the cause for me since I don't use Outlook on my phone; for me the errors just started happening out of the blue a couple weeks ago. I waited overnight and even until getting to work the next day to see if it would just fix itself, when it didn't, I went to the Sprint store after work.

I really have no idea. I'm going to try doing Outlook and encryption when I'm on WiFi.

don't have any other ideas or solutions.

Upvote 0
Personally, I've had issues with outlook in the past. Now I just use the web access app for my company. It's web based, no notifications or anything, but it works perfectly. Just a suggestion. :)

The only issue I have with this logic is that you are allowing HTC/Sprint to get away with glaring phone issues. If you prefer the web-based version over syncing Outlook to your phone, that's perfectly fine. But if you are sacrificing functionality as a result of design/software/hardware issues that Sprint/HTC cannot fix, that's where I get frustrated. Personally, I absolutely hate the web-based version, especially when replying to emails.

A lot of people give up on syncing Outlook because they don't know how to properly input the settings when creating the account on their phone. However, once you get it working its a very useful tool to have in your pocket, it makes my workday that much easier since I'm moving around a lot and carry multiple client computers.

I think this vDM issue is more the result of encryption of the internal memory or SD card and not really an Outlook issue. It's either that or my Data Profile just corrupted itself somehow and is not fixable supposedly until I take it in to a store. I've heard that they need to perform some sort of Profile refresh that they can only do in the store...

Upvote 0
I really have no idea. I'm going to try doing Outlook and encryption when I'm on WiFi.

don't have any other ideas or solutions.

Ok, I finally had time to do a factory reset and play around with the encryption. After the factory reset, I deleted my GV account and did not even install any apps or google account on the phone. Voice/Data was successful on Sprint Zone and Profile/PRL updates were working fine. All dialer codes/MMS also work.

Encryption of SD card - as expected, performing this did not affect/alter anything described above.

Encryption of internal storage - as I feared, doing this is what is causing the vDM error for me. After encrypting internal storage, can no longer use dialer codes, MMS not working, Sprint Zone Voice fail, and also vDM error when performing PRL/Profile update.

There has to be a bug fix for this b/c this is something you should be able to do while still having all the normal functionality of the phone. Going to do another reset now and see if I can add my Outlook account without having to encrypt internal storage...

This also confirms the error has nothing to do with Outlook.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones