• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ethics and Bandwidth Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most DSL connections use a modem, the router connects to the modem to redistribute the bandwidth to multiple end-users. There might be a few ISP that might be fully digital already (honestly I don't know any), but most of the ISP would still require analog transmission which requires a modem to make it a digital.

The newer DSL connections are digital (the ones running on fiber) but the older ones are analog.

But yes, I agree with you, the analog connections absolutely use a modem. IOWA is wrong in saying the digital ones use a modem. Some ignorant people might incorrectly call it a modem, but technically it isn't.

Upvote 0
The newer DSL connections are digital (the ones running on fiber) but the older ones are analog.

But yes, I agree with you, the analog connections absolutely use a modem. IOWA is wrong in saying the digital ones use a modem. Some ignorant people might incorrectly call it a modem, but technically it isn't.

When why is it call a phone to modem? It is a digtal singal to the phone radio, then to your pc? but is phone modem. In your "modem" it has a wimax modem, why is it a modem?

Now please read this, because this is just worn out.
wireless modem said:
Direct broadcast satellite, WiFi, and mobile phones all use modems to communicate, as do most other wireless services today. Modern telecommunications and data networks also make extensive use of radio modems where long distance data links are required. Such systems are an important part of the PSTN, and are also in common use for high-speed computer network links to outlying areas where fibre is not economical.

It clearly states, direct broadcast satellite, wifi, and mobile phones ALL use modems to communicate.

Every digital device that transfers data, regardless of it is analog or digital, is by definition a modem. But you are going to say it is not transferring from analog to digital... blah blah blah.

The group of wireless devices that have radio in them are called wireless broadband modems. I am sorry. But google it. You will find links to buy them, reviews about them, and even articles explaining them.

You already admitted that overdrive was a modem. The same type of chip in the evo is in the overdrive, they use the same type, if not the same chip.

You have failed repeatably to agree with links that you your self has published. But I have to point out just because you say it is not so, does not make it so.

Keep screaming it is not true, does not make you right.

Upvote 0
When why is it call a phone to modem? It is a digtal singal to the phone radio, then to your pc? but is phone modem. In your "modem" it has a wimax modem, why is it a modem?

Now please read this, because this is just worn out.

It clearly states, direct broadcast satellite, wifi, and mobile phones ALL use modems to communicate.

Every digital device that transfers data, regardless of it is analog or digital, is by definition a modem. But you are going to say it is not transferring from analog to digital... blah blah blah.

The group of wireless devices that have radio in them are called wireless broadband modems. I am sorry. But google it. You will find links to buy them, reviews about them, and even articles explaining them.

You already admitted that overdrive was a modem. The same type of chip in the evo is in the overdrive, they use the same type, if not the same chip.

You have failed repeatably to agree with links that you your self has published. But I have to point out just because you say it is not so, does not make it so.

Keep screaming it is not true, does not make you right.

#1: Just because Sprint calls it a "phone as modem" plan doesn't mean it is technically a modem. Sprint also calls Wimax 4G when it technically is not.

#2: WiFi does NOT use a modem, it uses a WiFi adapter, not a modem. Some mobile phones probably have modems because not all of them are digital. Sprint's happen to be digital, but not everyone else's are. Satellite receivers absolutely have modems though. They plug into the phone line and dial up like a fax machine.

You are wrong man. Just stop. The definition of a modem indicates that it is a Modulator-Demodulator, and converts analog carrier signals to digital, and digital signals to analog. Period. And you can find as many examples as you want of some idiot incorrectly calling something a modem- it doesn't change the definition. The fact remains, a modem uses an analog carrier. If it is using a digital carrier, it is technically NOT a modem. And this isn't even debatable. Anyone who has ever been even A1 certified, the lowest of all the certifications, learns this.

Upvote 0
Is it "wrong" to consume much bandwidth from your cell phone? The implication of high bandwidth usage being the stress of the network and unfairly impinging against other users.

No, I don't think it's wrong. Here's why:

To me, this is like asking if it's wrong to make several trips up and down a congested Interstate highway, because if you either stayed home or went another route, the highway would be less congested for others.

While it is entirely true that if some drivers either stay home (decline to use data features on their phone) or re-route onto other roads (check Facebook from a PC instead), the highway will be less congested for those who remain... it is also true that every taxpayer/driver has a right to use the roads as he sees fit, making as many trips as he likes, irrespective of how many other cars are on the road. It isn't immoral to use a crowded road. Or crowded internet connections.

To me, this is a non-issue. The problem will eventually take care of itself. If the data "roads" become too congested, people will get frustrated and make alternate arrangements. They'll find another way to do what they want to do. That may mean a different phone or phone company. When that occurs, the phone company will be forced to step up in order to keep customers. More "lanes" (bandwidth) will be added.

I agree that there are always a handful of jerks who abuse any system. (Example: people who want to use their phone to provide an internet connection to a server that thousands of people try to hit, instead of manning up and getting a proper ISP.) But most cell phone users, who are just trying to enjoy for themselves the features of a phone/plan they paid good money for, should not in any way feel guilty for using their service.

Upvote 0
#1: Just because Sprint calls it a "phone as modem" plan doesn't mean it is technically a modem. Sprint also calls Wimax 4G when it technically is not.
Finally. So follow me on this one. If sprint calls phone as a modem, but it is not really a modem, then it is clear that sprint is calling anything that tranfers data a modem. You just admitted this. You just did. If the aircard is a modem, you admited that to. And if SPRINT, not you, BUT SPRINT calls the radio in the phone that you use for phone as modem, a modem. And you call the aircard a modem. And the phone and aircard have the same chip. Then it is, by sprint standards, not yours, a imbedded modem.

But please do not beleive me, call sprint. Say you are a new customer. Tell them that you are wondering what an imbedded modem was, they will tell you your phones radio.

We are not talking about what we call the object, we are talking about what sprint calls the object.

Now about the unlimited stuff. Yes it says unlimited. Sprint does not reserve the right to charge you for going over 5gigs, only the right to cut you off if you repetitively go over. Once again I have done this with no problems. But you can understand why the reserve the right.

We have been around this tree a 1000's times. All the arguments are out there time for someone else to decide.

Upvote 0
When why is it call a phone to modem? It is a digtal singal to the phone radio, then to your pc? but is phone modem. In your "modem" it has a wimax mo

#2: WiFi does NOT use a modem, it uses a WiFi adapter, not a modem. Some mobile phones probably have modems because not all of them are digital. Sprint's happen to be digital, but not everyone else's are. Satellite receivers absolutely have modems though. They plug into the phone line and dial up like a fax machine.

You are wrong man. Just stop. The definition of a modem indicates that it is a Modulator-Demodulator, and converts analog carrier signals to digital, and digital signals to analog. Period. And you can find as many examples as you want of some idiot incorrectly calling something a modem- it doesn't change the definition. The fact remains, a modem uses an analog carrier. If it is using a digital carrier, it is technically NOT a modem. And this isn't even debatable. Anyone who has ever been even A1 certified, the lowest of all the certifications, learns this.

I know I said I wouldn't reply, but I just have to point this out to prove you don't know what your talking about. Tell me, what is an "A1" certification? I know what an A+ certification is, because I HAVE ONE, but never heard of "A1"

A1 is steak sauce... so anyone that knows steak sauce would know about modems... gotcha...

Oh, and to put it in plain english, click the link below to re-educate you about other definitions of the word, modem.

http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3ARadio+modem

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0
Finally. So follow me on this one. If sprint calls phone as a modem, but it is not really a modem, then it is clear that sprint is calling anything that tranfers data a modem. You just admitted this. You just did. If the aircard is a modem, you admited that to. And if SPRINT, not you, BUT SPRINT calls the radio in the phone that you use for phone as modem, a modem. And you call the aircard a modem. And the phone and aircard have the same chip. Then it is, by sprint standards, not yours, a imbedded modem.

But please do not beleive me, call sprint. Say you are a new customer. Tell them that you are wondering what an imbedded modem was, they will tell you your phones radio.

We are not talking about what we call the object, we are talking about what sprint calls the object.

Now about the unlimited stuff. Yes it says unlimited. Sprint does not reserve the right to charge you for going over 5gigs, only the right to cut you off if you repetitively go over. Once again I have done this with no problems. But you can understand why the reserve the right.

We have been around this tree a 1000's times. All the arguments are out there time for someone else to decide.
#1: Yes, I agree that Sprint is calling the cell phone a modem when it is used to tether.
#2: I do not see where Sprint is calling the radio a modem. I see them referring to the entire cell phone as a modem, and I see them referring to the entire USB adapter as a modem, but not the radio contained in either of them.
#3: Even if Sprint did call either of them a modem, my plan still says it is unlimited in the plan description, and it says unlimited in the usage.
#4: The data card plans do NOT say unlimited in the description, they clearly list a 5 GB limit. They also list the same limit in the usage details.
#5: It is illegal to advertise an unlimited plan and put a hidden limit on it. This is why Verizon stopped doing it.
#6: I find it extremely hard to believe Sprint would list limits for the data card plans, and then hide the limits while falsely advertising the smartphone plans as unlimited.
#7: I have not seen any reason whatsoever for me to assume Sprint's "imbedded modem" description means anything other than the netbooks and laptops that have data cards imbedded in them.
#8: I have never even heard of anyone getting cut off or charged extra for going over 5 GB. I have personally gone well over 5 GB many times, with no problems whatsoever form Sprint, and my online usage still showing I have unlimited.

There is no 5 GB limit on smartphone plans. Period.

Upvote 0
I know I said I wouldn't reply, but I just have to point this out to prove you don't know what your talking about. Tell me, what is an "A1" certification? I know what an A+ certification is, because I HAVE ONE, but never heard of "A1"

A1 is steak sauce... so anyone that knows steak sauce would know about modems... gotcha...

Oh, and to put it in plain english, click the link below to re-educate you about other definitions of the word, modem.

define:Radio modem - Google Search

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

#1: Sorry about the typo. Yes, I was talking about the A+. And if you have it, then you should already know that a modem is not used on a digital carrier.

#2: The link you posted has nothing whatsoever that disputed my definition. You might want to check your own link.

#3: I know it is possible to have a radio modem. That has nothing to do with anything. Radio modems still use an ANALOG carrier. If it is in a digital environment, like Sprint, or like a WiFi adapter, then it is not a modem.

Upvote 0
#1: Sorry about the typo. Yes, I was talking about the A+. And if you have it, then you should already know that a modem is not used on a digital carrier.

#2: The link you posted has nothing whatsoever that disputed my definition. You might want to check your own link.

#3: I know it is possible to have a radio modem. That has nothing to do with anything. Radio modems still use an ANALOG carrier. If it is in a digital environment, like Sprint, or like a WiFi adapter, then it is not a modem.

Ugh, i don't know why i'm posting again, ugh. Maybe I can get through to your thick skull, maybe not.

Definitions of words evolve over time. If this was 1984(great book btw), you would be 100% correct. However, it is 2010, and things have changed, including the meaning of the word modem. Quoting the original meaning, while denying the expanded definitions, is just plain silly.

Here is a fine example of word evolution with a word people use every day.

It's the almighty f bomb. You know, the four lettered word that gets censored constantly.

Well, do you know the ORIGINAL definition of the word? Turns out it wasn't even a word at all. It was an acronym.

The original meaning of that acronym was "Fornication Under (the) Consent (of the) King. In ancient England a person could not have sex unless you had consent of the King (unless you were in the Royal Family). When anyone wanted to have a baby, they got consent of the King, the King gave them a placard that they hung on their door while they were having sex. The placard had F.*.*.*. (Fornication Under Consent of the King) on it. Now you know where that came from.

Now obviously, that is not word the word means, in todays terms. It has evolved. Although similar, it does have a different meaning, much like today's meaning of the word modem.

Now if you don't understand this, maybe your some old guy who doesn't like change. Who knows. But denying the current meaning of the word, is like denying gravity itself, you can deny it all you like, but that doesn't mean it's not there/true.

Upvote 0
Ugh, i don't know why i'm posting again, but this will definately be my last post replying to you. Maybe I can get through to your thick skull, maybe not.

Definitions of words evolve over time. If this was 1984(great book btw), you would be 100% correct. However, it is 2010, and things have changed, including the meaning of the word modem. Quoting the original meaning, while denying the expanded definitions, is just plain silly.

Here is a fine example of word evolution with a word people use every day.

It's the almighty f bomb. You know, the four lettered word that gets censored constantly.

Well, do you know the ORIGINAL definition of the word? Turns out it wasn't even a word at all. It was an acronym.

The original meaning of that acronym was "Fornication Under (the) Consent (of the) King. In ancient England a person could not have sex unless you had consent of the King (unless you were in the Royal Family). When anyone wanted to have a baby, they got consent of the King, the King gave them a placard that they hung on their door while they were having sex. The placard had F.*.*.*. (Fornication Under Consent of the King) on it. Now you know where that came from.

Now obviously, that is not word the word means, in todays terms. It has evolved. Although similar, it does have a different meaning, much like today's meaning of the word modem.

Now if you don't understand this, maybe your some old guy who doesn't like change. Who knows. But denying the current meaning of the word, is like denying gravity itself, you can deny it all you like, but that doesn't mean it's not there/true.

Man, you're wrong. Stop trying to argue for the sake of arguing. YOU are the one who told me to look up the definition of modem. I did, and it was defined exactly how I thought. YOU then started telling me the written definition is wrong.

Do you see the problem here?

The definition of modem has NOT changed. Just because you never knew what it meant doesn't mean anyting at all has changed. Nobody is calling their NIC or USB WiFi stick a modem. You know why? Because they aren't modems. I talk to people every day who refer to their WiFi routers as modems though. It certainly doesn't mean that is what it actually is.

In short, I am aware that words can change meaning over time. Unfortunately for you, modem, is not an example of this. Modem still means the same thing it always has. And you just seem to be arguing for the sake of arguing now.

Again, YOU are the one who told me to look up the definition of modem. And now it is YOU who are trying to say the written definition is not valid. Too funny.

Upvote 0
Directly from dictionary.com

Argue with them. Tell them they are wrong.

Sit down. Class dismissed.

None of those definitions fit your argument.

#1: "an electronic device that makes possible the transmission of data to or from a computer via telephone or other communication lines."

Well Sprint is not using telephone (or other) line, so that is not it. And telephone lines are analog anyway, so this goes right along with the definition I posted.

#2: "to send or receive (information, data, or the like) via a modem."

So that is a verb (an action). It has nothing to do with the noun 9a thing) that we are talking about that is called a Modem. This definition is saying you can do some action, called Modem. Totally irrelevant to our discussion.

Again, are just arguing for the sake of arguing. I think you know darn well you're wrong, and still continuing to argue just because that's your thing. Doesn't matter, you're still wrong.

Upvote 0
None of those definitions fit your argument.

#1: "an electronic device that makes possible the transmission of data to or from a computer via telephone or other communication lines."

Well Sprint is not using telephone (or other) line, so that is not it. And telephone lines are analog anyway, so this goes right along with the definition I posted.

#2: "to send or receive (information, data, or the like) via a modem."

So that is a verb (an action). It has nothing to do with the noun 9a thing) that we are talking about that is called a Modem. This definition is saying you can do some action, called Modem. Totally irrelevant to our discussion.

Again, are just arguing for the sake of arguing. I think you know darn well you're wrong, and still continuing to argue just because that's your thing. Doesn't matter, you're still wrong.

Lol... you obviously live in your own little world, with your own meanings to words. I guess a wireless line of communication, isn't really a line of communication.

I'm done with you, thread reported.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones