• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EU to ban cars from cities by 2050

cipher6

Android Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2010
South Texas
And you guys call Americans crazy.

EU to ban cars from cities by 2050 - Telegraph

The European Commission on Monday unveiled a "single European transport area" aimed at enforcing "a profound shift in transport patterns for passengers" by 2050.
The plan also envisages an end to cheap holiday flights from Britain to southern Europe with a target that over 50 per cent of all journeys above 186 miles should be by rail.
Top of the EU's list to cut climate change emissions is a target of "zero" for the number of petrol and diesel-driven cars and lorries in the EU's future cities.
Siim Kallas, the EU transport commission, insisted that Brussels directives and new taxation of fuel would be used to force people out of their cars and onto "alternative" means of transport.
"That means no more conventionally fuelled cars in our city centres," he said. "Action will follow, legislation, real action to change behaviour."

Reactions: jonesw6791
Good, people are getting too stupid to drive. Besides that 1-4 people per car is a grossly inefficient way of travelling. America is about 30 years behind the rest of the world in mass transit, so hopefully we could get it done this century.

Honestly, 30k deaths a year in cars just in the US and not one of you thought of that driving to work this morning I bet.

Upvote 0
Good, people are getting too stupid to drive. Besides that 1-4 people per car is a grossly inefficient way of travelling. America is about 30 years behind the rest of the world in mass transit, so hopefully we could get it done this century.

Actually, considering the area our mass transit would have to cover, no one has come up with an affordable solution for that, in ANY country in the world. We aren't BEHIND anybody in Mass transit.... we just have a different problem that no one has solved yet.

Honestly, 30k deaths a year in cars just in the US and not one of you thought of that driving to work this morning I bet.

Considering the sheer number of people on the roads yearly... No. I don't think about it in the morning.

Upvote 0
Agreed. Americans love their freedom. And a huge part of that is the ability to move about the country freely in your own car.

If I had to take the bus, I would spend considerable time waiting. If I take my car, I am not tightly bound to a bus schedule. A dear friend of mine takes one bus from her house and arrives uptown. After a 10 minute wait all busses on her route take, then she takes a second bus to a third bus stop, and then she needs to walk several blocks to get to work. Missing one bus means she misses two or three other busses.

If I took the bus to shop for groceries, I would walk five blocks to a stop, hopefully catch the bus, and then walk a few more blocks to the store. And I am limited by what I can buy, so it means more trips. Ever tried to carry a case of canned crap, a 25 pound sack of kibble and a frozen turkey or two through the rain, bad neighborhoods, and with poor fitting shoes?

The bus is fine, but it is not American! We want cars and we shall have them for decades to come.

In case anyone cares, 1960 Oldsmobile Super 88, Rocket 394 and 4-barrels. Four door hardtop and it gets great gas mileage. Someone stole my special manifold so sucking gas through 8-one barrel carbs is no longer possible.

Bob

Upvote 0
I do not think he is negative, just correct.

Agreed. Americans love their freedom. And a huge part of that is the ability to move about the country freely in your own car.

Exactly. Feels great to be able to throw your Winchester Model 12, 12 Gauge shotgun in the trunk of your V8-engine car to go shoot some clay pigeons!

That was me. Today. Ha ha.

Upvote 0
The electricity to fill your battery has to come from somewhere.

For one, this isn't a ban on oil, it's a proposed ban on cars. Also, have a look at hydrogen fuel cells. Technically speaking the motor in such a car is still electric and uses hydrogen fuel cells, emitting nothing but water as a waste product.

Will the US give up cars? Probably not. What I do see happening is making it (eventually) very cost inefficient to own a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle, not only in the cost of fuel, but also in taxes (registration, etc.) one will have to pay on such cars.

Upvote 0
For one, this isn't a ban on oil, it's a proposed ban on cars. Also, have a look at hydrogen fuel cells. Technically speaking the motor in such a car is still electric and uses hydrogen fuel cells, emitting nothing but water as a waste product.

Will the US give up cars? Probably not. What I do see happening is making it (eventually) very cost inefficient to own a gasoline or diesel powered vehicle, not only in the cost of fuel, but also in taxes (registration, etc.) one will have to pay on such cars.

The EU wants to ban cars in the name of global warming. There is no proof that global warming is a serious problem, so a very damaging law/rule/edict will be forced upon us because of faulty science and insanity.

Where does the power to make the hydrogen come from and what about the environmental impact of vastly increased power generation? What about the economy?

The EU also wants to ban aircraft.

Again, it will not happen and we will always have our cars.

Bob

Upvote 0
The EU wants to ban cars in the name of global warming.
"conventionally" fueled cars "from cities" ....
There is no proof that global warming is a serious problem, so a very damaging law/rule/edict will be forced upon us because of faulty science and insanity.
Creationists/Conspiracy theorists /= scientists.... yet they know better than every Climate Scientist? ???
of and climates change not being bad... grinlolxdrofletc
Where does the power to make the hydrogen come from and what about the environmental impact of vastly increased power generation? What about the economy?
erm Renemwable and nuclear fission?
????

Bob
Did you never see Star Trek? :D

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
The EU wants to ban cars in the name of global warming. There is no proof that global warming is a serious problem, so a very damaging law/rule/edict will be forced upon us because of faulty science and insanity.

Bob

Solar, Wind (This is a big one with wind farms popping up all over the midwest), Nuclear, etc. are all clean energies that can be used to produce this. I've also heard of some concepts where the hydrogen fuel is literally produced at the pump by one or more of these technologies. I am not saying we are going to have our cars taken away from us. I am simply saying we will have alternative energy sources. Oil supplies are already dwindling. Forget about the so called environmental impact. Once the fossil fuels are gone, they are gone.

"Will never happen"... I am sure that was said about slavery, women's rights, and a whole slew of other topics that just seemed (to some people) like they shouldn't ever be changed. Up until recently people believed we would never have a black president...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones