• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO 4G in May????

LOL...I honestly can't say which is worse! I bought my Mom an Instinct when it was released and her phone is probably more reliable than mine at this point!...hahahaha.

my phone has been dropped, kicked (by horses) picked up by my dog (who then delivers it to me), answered while hand were still wet from dishes who knows what else the thing still works...well until the thing freezes up...One can only hope the Evo will be just as sturdy

Upvote 0
Well the launch can't be before the 12th of May. We'll probably know on the 12th when it will come out though.

Edit: I had a picture here but it disappeared. It was a picture of the Sprint EVO 4G party invitation for the 12th of May.
htc-evo-4g-sprint-disney-event.jpg

Upvote 0
Doubt it will be in May. Here is the official contest rules to win a Evo:
The Semi-Finalists will be notified on or about 5/18/2010 by phone, text or email. Semi-Finalists may be required to confirm their acceptance of the Official Rules and their agreement to participate in the Contest within twenty-four (24) hours of being notified. Semi-Finalists may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release and any other documents that Sponsor may reasonably require (the "Affidavit/Release") within three (3) days of being notified. If Semi-Finalist fails to sign and return the Affidavit/Release within the required time period, Semi-Finalist may be disqualified and an alternate Semi-Finalist may be selected in their place at the sole discretion of Sponsor.

It makes no sense that it will release on May 22nd.

Reactions: JustFrozen
Upvote 0
Doubt it will be in May. Here is the official contest rules to win a Evo:
The Semi-Finalists will be notified on or about 5/18/2010 by phone, text or email. Semi-Finalists may be required to confirm their acceptance of the Official Rules and their agreement to participate in the Contest within twenty-four (24) hours of being notified. Semi-Finalists may be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release and any other documents that Sponsor may reasonably require (the "Affidavit/Release") within three (3) days of being notified. If Semi-Finalist fails to sign and return the Affidavit/Release within the required time period, Semi-Finalist may be disqualified and an alternate Semi-Finalist may be selected in their place at the sole discretion of Sponsor.

It makes no sense that it will release on May 22nd.

+1

I doubt we'll get the EVO until June at the earliest.

Upvote 0
Eh I dont know about how much more testing it needs. The #2 Draft pick N. Suh has been using an EVO for doing his blogs before the draft....has also mention how AWESOME the phone is. I doubt they would give him one that isnt close to final production model.

Plus we have already seen one video with the EVO picking up 4G. I think the phone is close to being ready to roll....Sprint could just be working on how to market it now.

What? Links?

Upvote 0
If they're giving out 10 HTC EVO's on May 10th, then there's always that chance we'd see a late May release...

I think you're confused. Sprint said they will make the annoucement on who will win, they never said anything about giving it out on May 10. They can make the announcement on May 10 and give it out 2 months after for all we know.

Upvote 0
LOL...I honestly can't say which is worse! I bought my Mom an Instinct when it was released and her phone is probably more reliable than mine at this point!...hahahaha.

What ROM are you using? I had a Touch Pro and it was actually pretty nice for the few months I had it. Obviously it's outdated now but there are some great ROMs out there that are really optimized and have lots of tweaks and added features.

Upvote 0
What ROM are you using? I had a Touch Pro and it was actually pretty nice for the few months I had it. Obviously it's outdated now but there are some great ROMs out there that are really optimized and have lots of tweaks and added features.

Newest release (OEM, not cooked/custom). I didn't want to mess with custom/cooked ROM's because I was too afraid of not knowing what to do if I ever bricked it by mistake (while making adjustments). I also use Sprint NAV a lot and some of the ROM's disabled that.

I did custom tweaks for looks and TouchFlo3D formatting, but that's about it. If I hadn't gotten so frustrated with the phone at one point, I probably would've tried Android. I'll still probably try Android, prior to getting rid of the phone, just to get used to it for a week or so, but we'll see. I don't have as much time as I used to for customizations, which is why I'm sold on Android and the EVO.

Upvote 0
I think you're confused. Sprint said they will make the annoucement on who will win, they never said anything about giving it out on May 10. They can make the announcement on May 10 and give it out 2 months after for all we know.

The official rules state that "the Semi-Finalists will be notified on or about 5/18/2010 by phone, text or email." Assuming notification takes place on the 18th, my guess would be the winners would have the phone and be blogging by the end of that week. That doesn't leave much time for a May release but points to the rumored early-mid June release.

Upvote 0
Newest release (OEM, not cooked/custom). I didn't want to mess with custom/cooked ROM's because I was too afraid of not knowing what to do if I ever bricked it by mistake (while making adjustments). I also use Sprint NAV a lot and some of the ROM's disabled that.

I did custom tweaks for looks and TouchFlo3D formatting, but that's about it. If I hadn't gotten so frustrated with the phone at one point, I probably would've tried Android. I'll still probably try Android, prior to getting rid of the phone, just to get used to it for a week or so, but we'll see. I don't have as much time as I used to for customizations, which is why I'm sold on Android and the EVO.

I really wish people wouldn't worry about that stuff. It's a matter of plugging your phone in, starting up Activesync, and running a program. It's like buying a new computer with an outdated OS on it but not wanting to install a current one. If you don't like it you can just do it again or flash it back to stock. These devices are very flexible and they are ours to use as we wish. The idea that they are appliances at the mercy of a manufacturer or carrier is very unfortunate and Apple-like.

I never used Sprint Nav on mine since I didn't have a plan that included it until I bought my Pre. I just used Google, Live, and Tomtom. Honestly, check out PPCGeeks and try out a custom ROM. They fix so many of the issues with the Sprint ROMs. It's like having a whole new phone.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well hopefully the ad presence is constant the way Droid's was. They sold a ton of Droids thanks to that ad campaign. I have friends still buying Droids and completely oblivious to the Incredible or any other device. They still call Android phones "Droids" and talk about the Droid with the keyboard or the other Droid with no keyboard. Verizon did great marketing for their line of Android handsets to the point where their "Droid" naming scheme has overshadowed anything about Motorola or HTC or even Google.

Upvote 0
I really wish people wouldn't worry about that stuff. It's a matter of plugging your phone in, starting up Activesync, and running a program. It's like buying a new computer with an outdated OS on it but not wanting to install a current one. If you don't like it you can just do it again or flash it back to stock. These devices are very flexible and they are ours to use as we wish. The idea that they are appliances at the mercy of a manufacturer or carrier is very unfortunate and Apple-like.

I never used Sprint Nav on mine since I didn't have a plan that included it until I bought my Pre. I just used Google, Live, and Tomtom. Honestly, check out PPCGeeks and try out a custom ROM. They fix so many of the issues with the Sprint ROMs. It's like having a whole new phone.

Believe me, when I had the time, I would go through the different ROM's on PPC Geeks and see if there would really be any benefit to me. In the long run, if I bricked my phone (after spending lots of time trying different ROM's). I'm an active member over there too. Quite honestly, time is money to me. If I spend too much time trying to learn something that I really don't understand all that much, it becomes a waste of time to me.

I know for sure that there are a lot of ROM's on PPCGeeks. I was heavily active there at one point, but in the end, I just couldn't spend the time on it anymore.

Upvote 0
I don't know that you can brick a phone short of unplugging it while flashing the ROM. Even then I would imagine you could just reflash it again. It's more like installing a new copy of Windows to replace a more crapware-laden install from HP or Dell or whoever. You can get the latest version of the OS without all the Sprint stuff if you don't want it. I was running WM 6.5.3 or whatever back on my Touch Pro before it was even out for general use. Kinda like how people can get their Hero running 2.1 if they are willing to spend 15-20 minutes reading the instructions.

Anyway like you said, it's your time so in the end it's up to you. I just hate to see devices not used to their potential.

Either way good luck! Touch Pro to Evo will be a hell of an upgrade.

Upvote 0
Well hopefully the ad presence is constant the way Droid's was. They sold a ton of Droids thanks to that ad campaign. I have friends still buying Droids and completely oblivious to the Incredible or any other device. They still call Android phones "Droids" and talk about the Droid with the keyboard or the other Droid with no keyboard. Verizon did great marketing for their line of Android handsets to the point where their "Droid" naming scheme has overshadowed anything about Motorola or HTC or even Google.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's Motorola that does all the advertising for the Droid (or maybe a Verizon/Moto combo?) . If that's the case maybe SOME of the blame for Sprints marketing failures can be placed on the manufacturers. I wonder if HTC has some ads in the works for the EVO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones