• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO Owners -> X Owners

I had to exchange my first evo and now my second one has some issues and Sprint does not want to replace it. Having gone from a Moto Droid to an Incredible then an Evo I can see that HTC has no quality control. 4G was also a disappointment for me because it was only slightly faster then verizons 3g is in Baltimore. Even though I was in a good coverage area at my home 4g did not pass through the walls and I found that I never even turned 4g on because a lot of times it was slower then 3g.

Reactions: kcs7272
Upvote 0
I had to exchange my first evo and now my second one has some issues and Sprint does not want to replace it. Having gone from a Moto Droid to an Incredible then an Evo I can see that HTC has no quality control. 4G was also a disappointment for me because it was only slightly faster then verizons 3g is in Baltimore. Even though I was in a good coverage area at my home 4g did not pass through the walls and I found that I never even turned 4g on because a lot of times it was slower then 3g.

you will soon learn like i did. HTC makes the sexiest android devices but they are still low quality compared to samsung and motorola

lol i bet an Acer android device is better quality than HTC.

they are too quick to get a phone out(3 phones a month)

Upvote 0
I really, really thought about switching seeing as I've had 3 EVO's.

After running the numbers the EVO comes out the winner by like $20 a month or $240 a year.

And since I do have 4g in my area the Droid X is a no go for me. So let's hope my 4th EVO works and doesn't get bricked.

Hmm...that was one reason why i turned to sprint was because
my plan with Verizon is literally

my plan with sprint was around 90

but then with all the issues of HTC, Sprint customer service and the lack of 4g
it really wasnt worth it

hopefully you will enjoy it lol
although you already on evo 3 or 4 perhaps it may be time to consider someone else

if i was in a 30 day period and i was already on number 2, my foot would be out the door lol

Upvote 0

the spectrum that the 4g is broadcast on is not very useful. Hence why you cant lock on to 4g in buildings. that is largely dependant on how the building was built and thickness of walls.

I say it is a marketing term, because it is used in a means of saying 4 is greater than 3. therefore makingthe 4 service, better than the 3 service...even though the 4 service is hard to come by and the 3 service is better overall..

sprint has a upper hand here being that there is no other 4g service to compare it to.
therefore sprint can say "we have the best and most advanced service around", expecting people to reach for the bait

moth to flame, bait and hook all that good stuff

Upvote 0
I haven't decided for sure yet either, but I am most likely going to return the Evo for the X. I do love my Evo, I just don't like Sprint. I love it way more than my (previous) iphone. I dunno, but my reasons for switching would be:

- Verizon's coverage is way better than Sprints (in my area at least, Chicago burbs) - if all things were equal, this alone would entice me to switch
- I have no service in my house and Sprint could care less
- Battery on Evo doesn't even last from morning to night
- Video camera quality (I'm hoping the dx video is better)
- Tests I've seen online indicate the X is a superior device
- Call quality (EVO is not bad, but the iphone was better and I'm hoping the X will be on par with the iphone)
- Physical buttons - I also like how on the X you can wake the phone with a bottom physical button and the top power button
- Power button on Evo is flush with case and can be a pain to press it.
- Wifi reception is terrible - you have to be in the same room as the router basically to use it. No idea if the X will be any better, but I can't imagine it's any worse.

Aside from that, I do love the evo, I just think (hope) the X will be even better. I preordered one from Best Buy, but will try it out in store before making the switch.

I do have 4g in my area, well not my house, but when I am in the car or something. But it is terribly spotty and doesn't work indoors anywhere I try. And when the car is moving it's too spotty to even use. Not to mention the two to three hour battery life I would have if I ran it continuously. So while 4g is an awesome feature (and speeds are really fast when it works), it just isn't ready for prime time.

One of the features I was going to miss was the kickstand since I like using it as an alarm clock at night. But then I saw the case with a kickstand and also the dock, so now I'm not really giving anything up.

Upvote 0
I really, really thought about switching seeing as I've had 3 EVO's.

After running the numbers the EVO comes out the winner by like $20 a month or $240 a year.

And since I do have 4g in my area the Droid X is a no go for me. So let's hope my 4th EVO works and doesn't get bricked.

You get what you pay for. :p

Upvote 0
There is a bright side, I get to start my 30 days all over again since I ended my contract and started a brand new one. By the end of next month I'll have a good idea how well the Droid X is doing and then who knows. :cool:

Hmm...that was one reason why i turned to sprint was because
my plan with Verizon is literally

my plan with sprint was around 90

but then with all the issues of HTC, Sprint customer service and the lack of 4g
it really wasnt worth it

hopefully you will enjoy it lol
although you already on evo 3 or 4 perhaps it may be time to consider someone else

if i was in a 30 day period and i was already on number 2, my foot would be out the door lol

Upvote 0
Switching because I get a corporate discount with Verizon that was unknown to me until recently. Really the only reason. I love my Evo and I've had zero problems. So it comes down to $ for me. I'm dreading the next couple of weeks after my Evo return as I will be stuck with my LG flip, which is basically on life support (cracked hinge, display going in and out).

Returning the Evo won't be completely free though, right? Thought there was a restocking fee of some sort.

Upvote 0
Returned my evo tuesday I just couldn't get anything accomplished with sprint customer service.....

I am glad to see I am not the only person who had some issues with Sprint's customer service

I have done the same with HTC. :p

I second this

To be honest i never had an issue with motorola as far as the droid goes

I had one on launch day(before having a series of phones) and just complained it was too big and ugly.

And i got one to hold me over till the X release and my only complaint is that it's too slow(but that's only because i've tasted what the Evo was capable of)

But yes HTC has struck out with me(Eris, Hero and Evo)

I really want a galaxy s(fascinate) but i dont have all day to wait around for the to announce it

Upvote 0
I am glad to see I am not the only person who had some issues with Sprint's customer service

I second this

To be honest i never had an issue with motorola as far as the droid goes

I had one on launch day(before having a series of phones) and just complained it was too big and ugly.

And i got one to hold me over till the X release and my only complaint is that it's too slow(but that's only because i've tasted what the Evo was capable of)

But yes HTC has struck out with me(Eris, Hero and Evo)

I really want a galaxy s(fascinate) but i dont have all day to wait around for the to announce it

I thought it was coming out next month as well? I know for sure some of the other "Galaxy S" phones are.

Upvote 0

You're definitely not the only one.

I have no service in my house and they want me to pay $100 for an airave plus the additional monthly fee. I told them I'm not going to when other carriers (even at&t) have service in my house. She said there was nothing they could do. Then she asked her supervisor who said the same thing. I said, lemme see, $150/month service plan with you guys over a 2 year period is $3600. Fine I'll just cancel my plan before 30 days is up and go with Verizon. Her response, sorry to hear it, lemme transfer you to another department...then she hung up on me lol.

I called back, explained the whole thing over again and got the exact same story - nothing they could do. This one said if I was a customer for several years they might be willing to waive the fee, but not for a new customer. I said I wouldn't be a customer for more than thirty days if I have zero service inside my house. She didn't care.

When the 15th comes...Good riddance!

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by jeglinas
Returned my evo tuesday I just couldn't get anything accomplished with sprint customer service.....

No Doubt I just had to stop banging my head against the wall..LOL But I am waiting for my Droid X...

Upvote 0
Just curious about the process, figured I post here. If the verizon store comes through before the best buy preorder (I bought the Evo from best buy), then I go to Verizon, port number, get X, and then go to best buy and return Evo/Cancel Sprint, in that order?

And secondly, is there anyway to transfer the apps I've installed/purchased on the Evo to the X? I see I can do a factory reset on the Evo before I return it, but what about the SD card? Do I copy certain folders off of it and then delete certain folders?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Returned my evo too. I can't deal with the down right horrible Sprint customer service. Oh my gosh, how do they stay in business.

Phone falls apart, customer service sucks, reception sucks. I rather pay more for my rate plan, and know I'm getting good customer service, instead of some ghetto ass people on the other end of the line.

Upvote 0
You're definitely not the only one.

I have no service in my house and they want me to pay $100 for an airave plus the additional monthly fee. I told them I'm not going to when other carriers (even at&t) have service in my house. She said there was nothing they could do. Then she asked her supervisor who said the same thing. I said, lemme see, $150/month service plan with you guys over a 2 year period is $3600. Fine I'll just cancel my plan before 30 days is up and go with Verizon. Her response, sorry to hear it, lemme transfer you to another department...then she hung up on me lol.

I called back, explained the whole thing over again and got the exact same story - nothing they could do. This one said if I was a customer for several years they might be willing to waive the fee, but not for a new customer. I said I wouldn't be a customer for more than thirty days if I have zero service inside my house. She didn't care.

When the 15th comes...Good riddance!

I'm so glad i'm not alone in these scary sprint stories. I purchased the evo, it was bad enough the phone was a lemon, then I had to deal with the horrible customer service. NEVER EVER AGAIN, IN my entire life will I go to Sprint, ever.

Upvote 0
Switching because I get a corporate discount with Verizon that was unknown to me until recently. Really the only reason. I love my Evo and I've had zero problems. So it comes down to $ for me. I'm dreading the next couple of weeks after my Evo return as I will be stuck with my LG flip, which is basically on life support (cracked hinge, display going in and out).

Returning the Evo won't be completely free though, right? Thought there was a restocking fee of some sort.

Hey, here is how to properly discontinue your service with sprint. I think this only applies if you are a new customer. You shouldn't have any restocking fee. Also i'm not sure, but this probably applies only to Sprint.com and actual sprint retail stores, I'm not sure about 3rd party stores.

First go to this website and print out this page.... Have this with you while on the phone with the rep, and take it with you to the store when returning your phones.

Sprint 30-day Return and Exchange Policy

Next, get the phone from the new carrier, and port your number over. If you don't port your number before cancelling, that number is gone and you can't get it back.

Once you ported, call sprint customer care, ask for cancellations.

As soon as the cancellation rep is on the line, get his/her full name and employee ID number and write it down on a paper, that you will keep.

Next let the rep know you want to cancel, they will ask you why. However, you do not have to provide any reason as to why. Just politely inform them that you are within your 30 day sprint gaurantee, and you would like to cancel. If they ask why again, tell them that the contract doesn't require a customer to provide a reason. Ask nicely to deactivate the account.

Next, with that web print out in front of you, go through each of the bullet points with the rep. Have the rep confirm that you will not get any charges on the following.

* refund monthly charges as part of your service plan
*refund activation fee
*refund the purchase price of your device
*waive the early termination fee (ETF)
*waive the restocking fee
*Refund taxes and sprint surcharges associated with the above charges

Once he confirms everything, get a CONFIRMATION NUMBER!! Write this number down. Hang up. About an hour later, call back, speak to any new customer service rep, and verify that your account was truely and indeed cancelled.

Next, package your phone up in the original box and original condition. Get this sprint phone off your hands as fast as you can, if you drop it, scratch it, etc etc, that may be reason enough for them not to accept the return. Take it to the store, with your original receipt. Also you can not mail the rebate in if you are returning, meaning the box needs to still have the upc code.

Take the web print out with you to the store. Tell them you are there to do the return. If they ask why, tell them to please just do the return, you are within your 30 days, don't need to provide a reason. Also let them know you already called customer care and cancelled, at that point they know the account is cancelled and they wont hassle and try to keep you.
Have the web print out with you, incase the store charges you a restocking fee. Keep your original receipt, get a new refund receipt. Keep all paper work, employee names, etc.

Then to make sure the account is really cancelled, call about a week later, then 1 month later to make sure you have a 0 balance. Because when you cancel, according to sprint, your bill shows a balance due, until the following billing cycle, when they zero it out. Doesn't make sense, but that is what they told me.

You should then be free of sprint, and you can go to who ever you want.

Upvote 0
The same thing can be said about Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. You can never make everyone happy.

True but Sprint has been notoriously known for their incompetent customer service.

Kind of like how Verizon was known for having sucky smartphones pre-droid era

At & t network is known to be overloaded with the iphone and their signals are suffering

and t-mobile supposedly is always behind with the hot phones

Sprint has received a lot of flack for it's customer service more so then other carriers and I am so glad to actually know it's not just me who suffered. Apparently when i spoke ill of Sprint in the evo forums I was exaggerating about my experience(when it was the truth) but ehh whatever lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones