• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO vs Iphone 4 camcorder

Not in 720p that I've seen, but I'm not running the latest rom.

The h.264 codec is now there for the Evo in 480p (ED) and is far improved.

My wife's Evo Shift is less choppy, features the h.264 codec for both 480/720 and they completely dropped the MPEG-4 nonsense on her phone altogether.

I'd say we're possibly an upgrade away from being about able to finally put this one to rest.

Upvote 0
We really need to find a way to get some good quality audio through the camcorder.

I've read that with gingerbread roms for other phones have enabled AAC capturing for the camcorder. We've got to find a way to port this to the EVO.

I've rooted, tried editing the media_profiles.xml along with the build.prop, and even found an AAC encoder from another rom's libraries and tried to add it, but I am sure it's more than just copying a file into the lib directory.

I know it's possible, since I have received force closes from the camera after trying to enable non-existent codecs while disabling AMR-nb, but I am such a noob at this I now have my phone stuck on the white HTC screen and will have to restore my nandroid.

Got any ideas on who to contact on getting better quality audio for the camcorder?

Upvote 0
Yo, I gotta chime in. Since the update there is a HUGE difference in the camera and camcorder. The colors seems enhanced in my opinion. I took some photos of my b-hut in Afghanistan when I first got here. Opened up my camera and camcorder today and I can see a huge difference in what the update has done for the phone. Soon enough I will get to enjoy the wholesome goodness of the EVO once again. I miss using this phone. I keep it in the draw because I don't want it to accidentally break before I return stateside. I will treat the phone like my first born when I leave next month.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones