1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips external CD/DVD Drive

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nick789uk, Jun 7, 2011.

1. nick789uk

nick789uk Newbie
    None

Jun 28, 2010
    Hi everyone just like to say a big thanks for the help so far but I was woundering was it possible to connect an external CD/DVD drive via USB to my flytouch tablet.

Advertisement

popeye641 likes this.
  2. tbod

tbod Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    Tim's latest firmware has support for the iso filesystem so I would imagine the answer would be yes.

All we need is for some kind soul with a USB CD / DVD drive to plug it in and confirm or deny.

Any takers?

Regards
    tbod

3. dart16

dart16 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2011
    yes and no.... kind soul - yes, working cd/dvd - no

I have a lite-on DCD/CD Rewriteable external drive, model eZAU120..the tablet didn't even sniff at it when I plugged it in...not detecting the hardware being connected......nothing...

4. poseidon1703

poseidon1703 Lurker
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    Hello
    I have tried to use a brand new CD/DVD drive with a USB power cable and USB data cable that works perfectly with windows 7 , on to a Superpad III , but nothing happened , no even a noise of detection , but the deck opened , then I put the cd and just make some noise like connect and stop for a while and stops , the same with DVD , so I am wondering if I will be able to find drivers for it to work on Android 2.2
    for now my first try , I hope news or better if I find how to do it ....

5. lfc4ever

lfc4ever Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Flytouch/Superpad does not have inbuilt cd dvd rom drivers, so it cannot do the usb handshake necessary to communicate with each other to identify the hardware to the flytouch.

I doubt it will ever work with these models, we may have to wait for more advanced models or for the factories to release the source code - by which time the models will be seriously outdated anyway.

6. vulcanize

vulcanize Newbie
    None

Feb 8, 2012
    Male
    Even though this thread is over a year old thought my experience would probably a best fit in here.
    I have an old external dvd writer (CompUsa) lying in storage that I hooked up to my Nexus 7 and the app Nexus Media importer recognizes it too.
    But that is where it all stops and nothing else going forward since holding down the eject button for a while does nothing to this generic dvd-writer to make the necessary FAT32 transition.
    File manager is also able to see it in dev/usb but since there is no way to convert the file systems am unsure as to how to proceed without a driver for android.
    Knew it would not work and thought I will just put it up here if anyone can think of any work around.
    ;)

The inspiration for this experiment was an article on the web (and the thread by bubbles money in xda)

Connect a portable DVD player to Android USB OTG device without rooting

7. Trlinde

Trlinde Lurker
    None

May 8, 2012
    Bought a cheap $5 DVD/CD reader/burner and yes, the Toshiba AT300 can see it, and that's about all.
    So for now, no burning DVDs with your tablet.:(