• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

external CD/DVD Drive

Hi everyone just like to say a big thanks for the help so far but I was woundering was it possible to connect an external CD/DVD drive via USB to my flytouch tablet.

Tim's latest firmware has support for the iso filesystem so I would imagine the answer would be yes.

All we need is for some kind soul with a USB CD / DVD drive to plug it in and confirm or deny.

Any takers?

Regards
tbod

Upvote 0
Tim's latest firmware has support for the iso filesystem so I would imagine the answer would be yes.

All we need is for some kind soul with a USB CD / DVD drive to plug it in and confirm or deny.

Any takers?

Regards
tbod

yes and no.... kind soul - yes, working cd/dvd - no

I have a lite-on DCD/CD Rewriteable external drive, model eZAU120..the tablet didn't even sniff at it when I plugged it in...not detecting the hardware being connected......nothing...

Upvote 0
Hello
I have tried to use a brand new CD/DVD drive with a USB power cable and USB data cable that works perfectly with windows 7 , on to a Superpad III , but nothing happened , no even a noise of detection , but the deck opened , then I put the cd and just make some noise like connect and stop for a while and stops , the same with DVD , so I am wondering if I will be able to find drivers for it to work on Android 2.2
for now my first try , I hope news or better if I find how to do it ....

Upvote 0
Flytouch/Superpad does not have inbuilt cd dvd rom drivers, so it cannot do the usb handshake necessary to communicate with each other to identify the hardware to the flytouch.

I doubt it will ever work with these models, we may have to wait for more advanced models or for the factories to release the source code - by which time the models will be seriously outdated anyway.

Upvote 0
Even though this thread is over a year old thought my experience would probably a best fit in here.
I have an old external dvd writer (CompUsa) lying in storage that I hooked up to my Nexus 7 and the app Nexus Media importer recognizes it too.
But that is where it all stops and nothing else going forward since holding down the eject button for a while does nothing to this generic dvd-writer to make the necessary FAT32 transition.
File manager is also able to see it in dev/usb but since there is no way to convert the file systems am unsure as to how to proceed without a driver for android.
Knew it would not work and thought I will just put it up here if anyone can think of any work around.
;)

The inspiration for this experiment was an article on the web (and the thread by bubbles money in xda)

Connect a portable DVD player to Android USB OTG device without rooting

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones