• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Facebook on Droid FAQ

syntrix

Android Expert
Nov 6, 2009
The South
There's been quite a few threads or discussions on the Facebook integration. I figured I'd write a bit about this, and then the rest of y'all can go from there.... could be a good sticky, too!

Once you launch and sign into the facebook application, you can click on the menu soft button at the bottom of the face of your droid.

Click settings.

Scroll down and you will see "Sync Contacts". Tap this

You have 3 options here:

1. Sync with existing contacts - This will compare your contacts on the phone to your friends in facebook. It will download their posted information (if they have it), like phone, email, and even their profile pics.

2. Sync ALL - if you have an existing entry like "wife" in your droid contacts, and her name is Martha Stewart, you will now have a new entry called Martha Stewart. If you sync with google, you can fix this:

Log into gmail or calendar and click contacts. Check the two entries and you will have a new option on the panel to the right..."Merge these two contacts". It will best guess, you edit, and then confirm. Viola, duplicate is fixed. It should sync back to your droid as part of your normal sync schedule.

3. Remove Facebook data - I haven't tried this, so I don't know if it remember the merge of data, or if it wipes everything out that has a facebook "name". I'd recommend doing backups of your contacts though gmail. It will save a *.csv file that you can restore later if you have to!

That's about all so far on an explanation. Seems to work very well for me. Please discuss any other facebook app tips or problems!

Has anyone else had issues with integrating their facebook and gmail contacts? My issue seems to be that for people that have different names in each system (first name for nicknames, last name for postmarriage). I've tried to use the join function but it doesn't give me the option of joining Amanda Tiring with Amanada Haying...
anyone have a suggestion?
Thanks in advance
--m

Upvote 0
There's been quite a few threads or discussions on the Facebook integration. I figured I'd write a bit about this, and then the rest of y'all can go from there.... could be a good sticky, too!

Once you launch and sign into the facebook application, you can click on the menu soft button at the bottom of the face of your droid.

Click settings.

Scroll down and you will see "Sync Contacts". Tap this

Is this still the case? My facebook app doesn't have a "Sync Contacts" option in the menu-->Settings :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones