• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help factory reset

It is always a good idea to perform a Factory Data Reset after a major update of the phone's platform from, say, Lollipop to Marshmallow, as this clears out any detritus from the previous firmware and can, if you have any issues, sort things out. If you do not have any obvious issues after the update, then you may choose not to FDR. For full details on backing up and FDR'ing your phone, see post #2 of S5 Update Problems - Dummies Guide

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I have two S5 phones, one of which is still on 4.4.4
the other is on 5.x but currently sleeping as an emergency backup device

I have a Note 4 which amazingly upgraded from 5.x to 6.x without a whimper.

All I have done with it so far is to power it off , and back on....
first time I have not at least purged the cache or did the FDR.

the S5 and my older 'S' all needed the FDR to come up and run healthy and clean.

Upvote 0
Our phones seem to be hotter and the battery was being used faster.
I cleared the system cache and they seem to be running without issue.
From what I am reading a reset could be done but, if there are no issues a wipe of the cache partition would suffice.
It sounds as though you would do a factory reset to your phone regardless - correct?
Thank you

Upvote 0
I know that doing FDR is the preferred thing to do, and results in the best and cleanest possible condition for the phone.

but, it takes me days to get everything back like it is now.... there is NO WAY to preserve all of the data, nor keep all of the unique settings setup like we like our apps to run, once you have done FDR.

So, I just decided, that since this Note 4 was behaving pretty good, I would just leave it alone.

My only issues with it, are to do with Bluetooth. it is a sometimes thing as to whether it works correctly or not. and voice calls, the audio gets lost at times, and I track it down to something being activated which switched the audio path while the screen is locked.

IF I unlock the screen before I turn on Bluetooth headsets, they seem to perform more reliably.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Functionality seems to be the key as you don't want to damage the device due to heat etc. So, IMHO, only if it is running well after the wipe, wait to see if the FDR is necessary. I agree that it is a large restoration even with some backup.
I use Google TakeOut with the PC and its too bad there was not something like that for the phone.

Upvote 0
I am a low level phone user and certainly wish I was more proficient. I will try to see how things go with the "wipe data partition" I did and if trouble will do a FDR.
Congratulations on your achievement. I can well will Windows software and hardware but phones at 76 are a new concept to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones