• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Few questions about a500.

cmenchion

Lurker
Nov 30, 2011
Hi all, first off I'm not new to andriod. I have a HTC Desire HD which I love. I just recently bought an Acer A500 over others because of the USB ports.

So far I love it. I just have a few questions. I'm just updated to 3.2. I have done a lot of reading on storage, seems you can't move your apps to the external SD card. I'm sure others find this a bit annoying but since I have the 16gb version its no big deal really.

So my big questions are...What is the point of the SD card? I bought a 16gb one but so far I find it useless. Can it be used to store/play my videos and music etc? I havn't tried putting any documents etc on it but can I store my stuff on it and use File Manager HD or Astro to access them?

Also I read that update 3.2.1 is out and trying to check for updates keeps telling me that my network coverage is poor and move to a location with better coverage. I find this odd considering that my wifi modem is on top of the desk where I'm using it.

Other than that seems to be a great tablet, I used the Asus Transformer and found it basically the same interface ofcourse but the Acer has way better sound and options.

Any advice you can give a newbie to tabs would be great! I've yet to try external HDD, I'm in the middle of moving and they are packed away.

Thanks
Cmenchion

Aloha and welcome to the Forum -
I basically use my external SD card to store backups from CW recovery. And anything else that needs to be Flashed. Found an 8GB is more than enough (32gb internal sd)

You need to point your file managers to the External SD card
Use Estrongs

Go to setting and change home directory to /mnt/external_sd
You should be good to go!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones