• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Peter123

Android Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2009
I bet most of you will jump to read this thread - sorry this is not about the
2.x upgrade :mad:
Yesterday I got my Eris.
I am in the learning phase. This is my first smart phone and a lot of things are new to me...
For instance:
(1) I set my gmail account to IMAP and I successfully retrieved all my contacts and calendar. I lots of e-mails show up when I open the gmail widget. Although the Settings/Datasync./Google/Autosync and ../Gmail is checked I have to press synch manually to retrieve the e-mail.
(2) When I got the e-mail with a attachment (2Mb) (a pic) and I try to fetch it, it won't preview it but the download goes OK.
(3) In gmail widget I cannot find Compose only reply when I open a mail..

Another question:
Now I have Wifi and bluetooth off, so I am browsing with 3G. What if I turn on Wifi, which becomes the default for data comm?

I have downloaded only on app: the skymap.
My awake time is 12-16%

Battery life so far seems to be fine.

I got the ribbed Verizon case with the holster - I like it.

Peter

Well the only question i can answer is the 3g/wifi question. If you have wifi on and are connected to a wifi network you will use the wifi connection for data. If you have wifi on and are not connected to a wifi network it will default back to using 3g for data automatically. Hope that helps somewhat.

Upvote 0
Gmail App: If you are using the Gmail app on your phone, you'll have to press MENU on the touch keys on the base of your phone. That'll open a submenu and Compose is the far right button over Settings.

Gmail Web: If you are using the web browser for your Gmail account, Compose will be on the top right of the screen. It looks like a Paper with a Pen on it. (Kind of small to see)

Buzz: Buzz is a recently release Social Networking group (Still in it's infantcy). You'll have to click Mail on the top left of the screen which will bring you to the Gmail Web.

Your awake time is Normal. If you start getting up to 80-100% if might want to browse the Forums for a fix to it.

As far as I understand with IMAP, you should be able to open a preview of the Attached file with no problems. I am not an IMAP user, so I can't be 100% sure.

Upvote 0
You don't really have to prevent yourself from downloading a lot of apps. You only really need to be cautious about too many simultaneous downloads at once. That'll create errors and force closes and possibly cause the installation of the apps your downloading to go into the wrong directory. That’s a pain.

No one should really have any problems with the Awake, unless you constantly use your device.. Which.. ALL of us do anyway.. And of course there are some apps out there that keep your phone awake because they are constantly pulling info and to the phone or vice versa.

So in-any-case, don't rack your brain over it. ENJOY THE DROID!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones