• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Firmware update problems... what you can do!

Since this firmware has been out for about 7 months and there has been no major issues with it, the most likely explanation is that the original download was corrupted, it can happen.

You have a couple of choices...

1. Take your handset to the nearest Samsung Service Point and explain what has happened and request that they re-flash the firmware for you.

2. Re-flash the firmware yourself using Odin and the method described in post #1, here, under the heading, "My firmware is not eligible for ICS yet but I want it now!My firmware is not eligible for ICS yet but I want it now!.

I appreciate what you say in your ancillary post but until you can identify if the problem was caused by the app's/settings or the actual firmware download and update, it is difficult to recommend a course of action.

I'm afraid that when it comes to updating phone firmware, Apple have had more than their fair share of problems, both now and in the past, as demonstrated by the recent update and the outrage on the iPhone forums.

Upvote 0
Hi
Have a Galaxy SII and Just upgraded to ICS 4.0.4 but now although paired with my car system cannot share phone contacts showing following message .

Unfortunately .Bluetooth sharing stopped

Read that a factory reset would likely fix it but I'm not very enthusiastic in do it just to solve out this issue , any options .

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Goldflyer! :)

Before doing a Factory Reset I would try going to Settings > Applications > All > Bluetooth Share > Clear data and then try re-pairing.

Upvote 0
Hi

Tks for your quick reply but unfortunately didn't work , got same message on my phone and couldn't get phone contacts on the car phone system .Any other hint please??
Tks

Oh, well... worth a try.

I'm not convinced that a Factory Reset would help with this problem as other posters on this forum are reporting the same thing.

Upvote 0
Howdy Ironass,
You seem to know what you are doing and I hope you can help me out.
I have a sim-free S2 that's a little over a year old, happily used both here in the UK and in the Middle East by swapping to local sims as req. Never had any issues. However, a couple of weeks ago wifi decided to start playing up. I've seen this posted on many a forum where in ICS the wifi just hangs in 'mid switch on'.
Some say it's an issue with the wifi chip, others say it's a firmware bug.
A electronics whizz buddy has given it the once over and says he's pretty damn sure its a software issue.
So, phone is rooted (has been some time), did the old back up and reset, decided to flash the proper UK O2 firmware via Odin (4.0.3) and it tries hard to switch on wifi but gets itself stuck.
How do I get rid of the firmware that was in place?
Seems to be causing a conflict.
Is it because the firmware in place was slightly newer Euro version (?) & a few people mention issues with XXLQ6?
Anyway, I've rattled on a bit.

Here's what I get from the old *#1234#

PDA: I9100XWLPW
Phone: I9100XXLQ6
CSC: I910002ILP3

Suggestions for clearing out 4.0.4 and using the O2 firmware?

Oh, and I have the 3.0.31-Siyah-s2-v5.0b1+ kernal on there - it was claimed this would resolve the sticky wifi issues.

Over to you.....

Upvote 0
Thanks ironass

I ran into all of the common issues listed, in addition to inconsistent 4G speeds. Despite having full signal strength, the phone would get full 4G speed on one tower, and 56k speed on another.

What finally corrected the issue in my case was wiping all storage (internal and SD card), doing the factory reset, and resetting/recreating the APN. (Settings - Wireless and Network - Mobile Networks - Access Point Name - Menu Key)

One point worth mentioning is that ICS does not partition separate space for ROM/apps and other data as GB does.

Upvote 0
hello ppl
i have installed an unofficial JB update on my s2 phone btw m frm india ...sadly before installing it i nvr bothered to chk the XWLSJ and all of tht stuff

after the update i intermittently have two problems 1 could not connect to play store keeps popping up and 2 google.gapps error keeps coming up the phone works fine for a few hours then it has these errors starts to heat up, laggg, freeze once in a while...i hate it :mad::mad::mad:....m a doc and cant afford to lose my battery in a few hours due to these stupid errors even ICS was very stable for me

after reading http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/680070-jelly-bean-update-dummies-guide.html i came to this post to see for a clean wipe for my phone and start from the scratch..
i dont mind losing my apps or settings have bckd up my other files..

wht i intend to do is wipe my phone completely install vanilla and then update it via kies to JB as the official update is available in INDIA.

i dunno how to wipe my phone clean, well without damaging it :p !!

have been using sgs2 for a couple of years now...LOVE it..except for the recent events :\

Upvote 0
Short version... FULL wipe and vanilla install

I wish I had seen this before I mindlessly accepted an update from 4.0.3 ICS to 4.2.1 JB on my ASUS TF700T tablet. I assume the upgrade was custom by ASUS.

I lost Home soft-key functionality which makes the tablet unusable. I suspected conflicts with apps - Power Toggle used to display battery level in the status bar and put my custom toggle in the notification area. Now the notifications contain no controls at all. Worst of all the battery is dead this morning - even with the keyboard/dock/battery. I'm about to follow your advice - wish me luck...

Factory Reset: Cold boot did not help so a full factory reset was required (to a working jellybean not the original ICS). Solved the problems. The home button now works and the notification area has normal toggles and brightness control.

*Make sure you have Setting > Backup & Reset checked to back up and restore your data to Google servers using a valid account before you do a factory reset. As soon as you log in to your backup account, your apps will begin downloading and restoring. It will take a while but it's automated - make sure the battery is good and let it run. Now all you have to do it place the icons and widgets.

Upvote 0
hello ppl
i have installed an unofficial JB update on my s2 phone btw m frm india ...sadly before installing it i nvr bothered to chk the XWLSJ and all of tht stuff

after the update i intermittently have two problems 1 could not connect to play store keeps popping up and 2 google.gapps error keeps coming up the phone works fine for a few hours then it has these errors starts to heat up, laggg, freeze once in a while...i hate it :mad::mad::mad:....m a doc and cant afford to lose my battery in a few hours due to these stupid errors even ICS was very stable for me

after reading http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-international/680070-jelly-bean-update-dummies-guide.html i came to this post to see for a clean wipe for my phone and start from the scratch..
i dont mind losing my apps or settings have bckd up my other files..

wht i intend to do is wipe my phone completely install vanilla and then update it via kies to JB as the official update is available in INDIA.

i dunno how to wipe my phone clean, well without damaging it :p !!

have been using sgs2 for a couple of years now...LOVE it..except for the recent events :\

That's 3 identical posts you have made! I replied, here.

Upvote 0
Hello all. I have recently carried out the Jelly Bean upgrade on my GT-I9100 and on the whole it's great! However, despite backing up EVERYTHING using Samsung Kies, it would appear that I have lost all my saved game data.

I think I have also backed up everything using Google back up before upgrading, but I don't know how to retrieve any of that!

Can anyone help in trying to retrieve it please?

Many thanks for any help!

Upvote 0
Hello all. I have recently carried out the Jelly Bean upgrade on my GT-I9100 and on the whole it's great! However, despite backing up EVERYTHING using Samsung Kies, it would appear that I have lost all my saved game data.

I think I have also backed up everything using Google back up before upgrading, but I don't know how to retrieve any of that!

Can anyone help in trying to retrieve it please?

Many thanks for any help!

As far as i know a restore from Google backup is done when configuring the phone after the flash. You may be able to kick something off in the backup axe restore section in settings?

Upvote 0
As far as i know a restore from Google backup is done when configuring the phone after the flash. You may be able to kick something off in the backup axe restore section in settings?

I'm afraid I can't find any backup axe??

You are correct, the phone automatically restored from Google when performing the initial update. However, I had problems with very glitchy home screen editing and I was advised by O2 to perform a factory reset. Before I did this I did the back up with Samsung Kies, did the reset (plus a hard reset) and as if by magic glitch had gone. However, when I restored everything from Kies all my saved game data was also gone!

Upvote 0
As per the ICS update, we are seeing a number of problems with Jelly Bean updates.

The Jelly Bean firmware itself is not to blame but rather the attempted integration and update of the users app's and settings as the file structure for JB has been changed from previous firmware updates. Hence, my, "Tips... on how to prevent update problems in #1.2 of the Jelly Bean update - Dummies Guide.

In particular, we are seeing more than our fair share of problems with OTA, (Over The Air), updates. Possibly caused by easily corrupted or interrupted firmware downloads. See post #1 of this thread.

The only way to resolve this issue, apart from taking your phone to a Samsung Service Point, is to do a complete wipe , "vanilla install", and a manual flash of the stock Samsung firmware for your CSC code as shown in the step-by-step guide and video referred to in post #1 of this thread and #1.7 of the above Dummies Guide.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones