• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First Apps for your phone

I'm currently using Key ring, but have yet to have the chance to test it... I'll report back once I do, I think the wife and I will be going to Babies-r-us this weekend...

Tried Key Ring at Food Lion and Harris Teeter, it didn't work for me. I think the screen is too big for it, it makes the bars a little wider in the sku.

Good luck though!

Upvote 0
Is there a way to turn all notifications to vibrate easily? If I just use the rocker, it only turns the RINGER to vibe, and not notifications. I can go into sounds, but it still only does the ringer. In message settings and email settings i can change them, but i want a one click option. Is there an app or widget, or maybe even just something i am missing?

Upvote 0
Is there a way to turn all notifications to vibrate easily? If I just use the rocker, it only turns the RINGER to vibe, and not notifications. I can go into sounds, but it still only does the ringer. In message settings and email settings i can change them, but i want a one click option. Is there an app or widget, or maybe even just something i am missing?

WidgetLocker will do it with the slider. It is a great lockscreen replacement that I can't live without anymore

Upvote 0
Is there an app that let's me change the color of led notifications?
Try Blink. Haven't myself, but a reviewer that tried it on the X said it works except for purple.

Does anyone know if the Beautiful Widgets app is known to drain the battery at all?

Thanks
Haven't noticed any extra drain and SystemPanel reports it as barely using CPU. If anything the weather updating function of it would drain, so if you prefer the looks you could always jackup the weather syncing time.

Upvote 0
Try Blink. Haven't myself, but a reviewer that tried it on the X said it works except for purple.

Haven't noticed any extra drain and SystemPanel reports it as barely using CPU. If anything the weather updating function of it would drain, so if you prefer the looks you could always jackup the weather syncing time.

Red, blue and green work great. Orange and yellow look exactly the same. Purple and cayan look pretty good. Pink doesn't work at all, nor does white (white shows up as blue.) I didn't try light blue light red or whatever the other light one was. Also, there is no option for e mails, it just stays green. Thanks man, it works fine =D

Upvote 0
Illuminasa's Droid X App list

There's my small list I've made so far for the X. First time Android user coming from a BlackBerry Curve 8330. So any help would be very much appreciated. I looked for a topic for Top Apps You Should Have ...and there's not one. Maybe this could be it!

And please please pretty please. If there's something that should be on the list, instead of just giving a name of the app, can you please tell what it does?

Reactions: Prismind
Upvote 0
I am in about the same place as you are, first time Droid user coming from BB Tour:

Astro File Manager-Organize apps using labels/folders. (#1 install)
Handcent-replaces Native Chat. Allows for much customization
Dialer One-replaces Native phone dialer
Nimbuzz-chat on FB, Yahoo...
Talking Tom-just a fun app that makes me smile! (and all my FB friends!)
Blink-Led changer (loved Berrybuzz!)
Shop Saavy-barcode/Qr code received very high ratings
Google Goggles

I have several of the ones you listed also!

Upvote 0
These are the apps I refer to the most or find useful.

Cubed or 3 MP3 player - best looking MP3 player
Adobe Reader
Advanced Task Killer - used properly, very useful, set 'Auto Kill' to disable, select tasks you don't want to kill to ignore, kill only tasks that are acting buggy
AppBrain - keeps track of all your apps, useful to see which apps need to be updated
Astro - file manager
AudioManager
Barcode Scanner
Bartender
BatteryIndicator - numerical battery left icon in the notification bar
Beautiful Widgets
Better Cut - customize icons
Camera 360 - camera settings
Coupons
Dictionary
drocap2 - must be Rooted, take screen shots
DroidLight - dual LEDs from the camera flash can be used as a flashlight
EasyRoot - Root
Fancy Widget - SenseUI style clock/weather widget
Flikie Wallpaper 3D
FolderOrganizer
FxCamera
3DGallery - use to set wallpaper for Widget Locker
Gensoid - Sega Genesis emulator
LauncherPro - launcher app
Lookout - anti-virus
Manga Browser
Movies
Nesoid - Nintendo emulator
NonGlared Icons
OpenTable - restaurant reservations
Pandora - music streaming
Pure Calender
Pure Grid Calender
Quandrant - numerical phone performance test
QwikList - a "To Do" list app which uses voice to text
RockPlayer - play avi and divx to watch downloaded movies
ScoreCenter - ESPN's sports ticker
Shazam - find song titles
SNesoid - Super Nintendo emulator
StopWatch
Superuser - some Root app
SwitchPro - best switch/toggle app
TheWeatherChannel
Tip Calc
Trapster - avoid speed traps
Widget Locker - customize lock screen, removes lag, a bit buggy though
WiimoteController - use a Wii controller to play games
Wikidroid
Yelp

Damn.. I'm just realizing I probably could've just cut and pasted from AppBrain. LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones