• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First car, Engine swap

Good old DSM and the 4g63's. Thats an old topic I miss talking about...indeed it would be some heavy fabrication for the OP to drop one of those classics in his car. However I think it would be pretty sweet to see something like that, especially if he went all out with say a gsx model and made it truly AWD. If he decides to do so just make sure you get a 1st gen 4g63 with the 4 bolt main so the crank bearings don't walk on you. Some of the quickest cars around here in central fla are well tuned 4g63's. A guy not to far away has an old starion I see every now and again, makes me feel all tingly inside hearing his BOV lol

I thought they only came with 6 or 7
bolt mains?

Thank you for that great lesson on location of engines. As a guy who has no idea where engines are located it is greatly appreciated. I really have no idea what I speak of, clearly, since I mention DSM era and 4g63T Or maybe he should just go for the 6g72 but then you just may find fault with that to.

I'm sure you would also say taking a 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback giving it independent rear suspension and putting a 5.0L in it would be too much work too. But it's been done by an idiot kid in the 1990s and I was very happy with my work.

Jeez dude. No need to be a dick about it. I was simply pointing out that since OP is on a budget that it might cost too much to do it. And even some DSMers forget that important fact.
All I was saying (just in case OP didn't know. I wasn't questioning your intelligence) is that the 420A engine is mounted on the passenger side of the engine bay with the transmission on the driver side. The turbo cars were set up in the opposite manner and used completely different engine mounts. If OP wanted to do that, which is unlikely seeing the amount of work he had already invested into his 420A, then he would need to fabricate new mounts or do a considerable amount of welding.

Get over yourself. I wasn't attacking your post, I was giving information for consideration.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
I thought they only came with 6 or 7
bolt mains?

Jeez dude. No need to be a dick about it. I was simply pointing out that since OP is on a budget that it might cost too much to do it. And even some DSMers forget that important fact.
All I was saying (just in case OP didn't know. I wasn't questioning your intelligence) is that the 420A engine is mounted on the passenger side of the engine bay with the transmission on the driver side. The turbo cars were set up in the opposite manner and used completely different engine mounts. If OP wanted to do that, which is unlikely seeing the amount of work he had already invested into his 420A, then he would need to fabricate new mounts or do a considerable amount of welding.

Get over yourself. I wasn't attacking your post, I was giving information for consideration.

They came with 6/4, 6/3, or 7/3. But then why am I pointing this out?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones