• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root First Post...rooting Bionic

PalsAndroid

Jan 2, 2012
Hello all,

Well, I am the new guy and have some questions about rooting my Bionic. I have had the phone since September and wanted to learn more about the phone and rooting before I jumped right into it. I know enough about technology to get around, but some of the discussions I have seen on here go right over my head (so I still have a little wsys to go). The phone has had a couple updates pushed to it since I have had it and is currently running System Version 5.5.893 on Android Version 2.3.4. I know that Pete's root tool no longer works because I tried it the other day. It went through the first couple steps, but the last step did not root my phone. I know there have been some recent posts about this, but what is currently the best way to root my Bionic? I am looking for something relatively simple and easy to follow. Also, if I am able to root it, what apps are good to use? I saw many people use Titanium Backup (I think that's the name) and also buy an app that is a one-time charge to use the Wi-Fi tether.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Never Mind, I got it figured out.

I used the method found here (option 1)
[TOOLS] R3L3AS3DRoot and 43V3R root for the BIONIC v2.1

Then made sure it was set up correctly using the Root Explorer method here
How to maintain root through any upgrade (Motorola Devices Only)

After that, I updated the phone and there it was!! I still have root and am running .893

It just took a little more searching online. I now have everything backed up on Titanium Backup and am ready to start freezing that bloat and using Wifi. I hope this helps other newbies looking to root their Bionics.

:cool:

Reactions: trophynuts
Upvote 0
Hi,

I have just purchased a Bionic (eBay) and it's on the way. From the description in the ad, it seems the guy may have rooted it at some time and or loaded different ROM's.

My question: He is wiping it clean; back to factory settings. By doing this, does this clean any residuals from rooting and ROM's from the phone. If not, what should I do to start from stock?

Thanks for helping an old man.:thinking:

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have just purchased a Bionic (eBay) and it's on the way. From the description in the ad, it seems the guy may have rooted it at some time and or loaded different ROM's.

My question: He is wiping it clean; back to factory settings. By doing this, does this clean any residuals from rooting and ROM's from the phone. If not, what should I do to start from stock?

Thanks for helping an old man.:thinking:

It depends on how he does it. When you get it you can use a program called rsdlite and the latest OTA fxz file. With these 2 you can wipe the phone and make it like it just a came out of the box. I will post a link to a thread on how to do this if you want.

Here is a how to video from droidmodderx on flashing this with rsd. When I did this rsd would not recognize my phone unless I was in fastboot. With the phone off hold volume down and the power button.

How to video

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones