• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First Time Android Owner!! Yay! Help me customize my phone! Your the boss!

I really have no idea how to use it or the definitions of some of the lingo lol i.e rooyting. I have a new mytouch slide. I'm really just looking for someone to help me figure things out and help me find some of those apps you can't live without and maybe even some of those hidden apps that rock! Also Im a HUGE movie girl is there any free apps for downloading or streaming? Well so far I have > Pandora, Facebook, Myspace, Handcent

-Get IMDB for your movie info
-Dolphin browser HD is better than the stock browser IMHO
-Get LauncherPro to have a dock and customize your homescreens
-RingDroid to make your own ringtones
-WidgetLocker to add widgets and customize your slider on your lock screen
-Smart Shortcuts to make folders for your homescreen with nice looking icons
-Pkt Auctions if you shop on eBay (it is better than the ebay app)

That should get you started. If you want some more ideas checkout my AppBrain link in my signature

Reactions: Gomez.alexis3
Upvote 0
Grab FolderOrganizer Lite (if you don't want to pay for the non-lite one) so you can customize all your icons to look just the way you want them. Pick up Desktop Visualizer too, that lets you select a larger image and use it as a shortcut. I also recommend ADW Launcher along with LauncherPro; ADW has the bonus of themes that can be easily downloaded and applied.

Here are some widgets you might want to try, too, for additional customization:

- Digital Clock Widget by Maize
- Beautiful Widgets
- If you don't like the stock Power Control widget, give these a look: Extended Controls, Dazzle, Switch Pro
- Tatjm and Battstat if you'd like time and battery percentage displayed as text, it looks quite classy
- Pure Music, Pure Calendar, Pure Messenger widget--they're all skinnable widgets that display, respectively, music, your calendar, and your SMS/emails

Does your phone have Froyo?

Upvote 0
OurGroceries - Android app on AppBrain - grocery/shopping lists you can share and sync with pc
RockPlayer (ARMv7) - Android app on AppBrain - video player that will play avi files so you don't have to convert any videos you already have to mp4
Awesome Drop (File Sync) - Android app on AppBrain - lets you easily send files to your phone from your pc without hooking up. Can also use to send/receive files from other people
Bookmark Sort & Backup - Android app on AppBrain - sorts and backs up your bookmarks.

My favorite thing about my android phone is the automatic sync with google. I've started saving all my notes/lists/stuff I normally keep on my pc (like tips/tricks for all my electronics gear, spreadsheets for various uses, etc) on google docs and they are instantly available to me on the phone. Use google calendar, contacts, docs for everything you do and you'll always have that stuff available wherever you go. When I'm heading somewhere I need nav for, I add an event in my calendar with the location. On the phone it's then easy to bring up your agenda and click on the event to go directly to that location on the map so you can nav there. I do that for every event I add to the calendar so when it's time to get there I don't have to enter the name/loc in maps, just click on it in the agenda.

Upvote 0
Tasker - If you want to make your phone do whatever you want it to do... on its own... Then get Tasker! It's difficult to figure out at first (much more difficult than Locale) but it's significantly cheaper (after accounting for necessary paid Locale plugins) and it is capable of doing more than Locale. Tasker! Go to Tasker(d0t)com to get a free 7 day trial. (Example: when I am in my car and I get a text message, Tasker will automatically and without me having to do anything, read that message out loud to me while at the same time sending a message back to the sender letting them know that I am driving but I have heard the message, and that they can call me if necessary).

Pure Calendar Widget - if you are big on scheduling using the calendar, then this is a sleek and well proportioned little widget to keep track of those upcoming events.

Shopsavvy - The ability to scan barcodes to find better deals... need I say more?

Flixster - Everything you need for browsing upcoming and recent movie releases.

Streaming movies isn't really possible until you have the Android 2.2 operating system. In the mean time, you can download movies to your SD card and play them back later.

Astro - File manager for messing with the stuff on your SD card.

BetterCut - Make your own icons or rename the ones you have.

Xscope - An incredibly fast and feature packed browser.

Upvote 0
No no Froyo yet :(
Kayst do you possibly know why that site didn't work for me? When i click on a movie it takes me to next gen vidz and the movie turns white?
No clue. I just tried it again and it works for me on the incredible. I get an alert saying it can't stream and asking if I want to download. Sorry it doesn't work for you.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the site. Take your time and browse the threads. There are a good number of them dedicated to listing some excellent apps as well as some layout threads. Feel free to ask for help in choosing apps, but everyone on this site has his/her own favorites and you can possibly get millions of responses to your question.

The most important thing is to make the phone yours, completely unique and individualized to your tastes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones