• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Fixes for screen separation?

Okay so after scrutinizing my white evo 4g for the first time yesterday I noticed that the bottom corner of the phone has some SLIGHT lift (like .5mm above the bezel) and of course some light leakage, which doesn't bother me too much.
However I thought HTC were going to fix this issue in manufacturing starting in late June? Anyway it looks like they didn't.
If possible I'd really like to just keep this phone and not swap it. I am hoping the separation doesn't get worse but I wanted to ask on here if anyone knows of a way to just go ahead and fix the issue myself. Like for example would a couple tiny dots of superglue on the corner do the job? Would that hurt the phone?
What about the hex screws? I am suspicious about the validity of that fix.
Anyway any advice on how to fix this before it (possibly) gets worse so I can get on with loving everything about my evo would be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Good news or bad news?

Good news, superglue and acetone does work.

Bad news, the adhesive is bad, it will spread, or at least my has, but I have not tried to fix mine, was going to wait until august and then trade it in.

Superglue AND acetone?
Since it isn't bad enough i can even fit a superglue needle/nozzle in there I may just wait and see what happens.
I mean I have only 23 more days to take it back/swap it so I don't know what I should do really. I don't know if by that time they will have ACTUALLY fixed the issue or not.

I am a little peeved that HTC had said they were changing production to fix the issue but it is STILL happening. I don't get it.

EDIT: okay I just looked up super glue/acetone and feel dumb haha obviously super glue it and use acetone to remove excess. If I find out any useful info from BB I'll post it. I'm going to call and see:
Do they have any more white evos?
Will my 30 days reset if I swap?
Has HTC said any more about the issue since falsely announcing they'd fixed it?
Etc.

Upvote 0
If it's that big of a deal to you, just take it back and swap it. You paid a lot of money for a phone that LOOKS and performs great. You shouldn't have to use super glue and duct tape to keep your phone together. Also, if the screen is separating now, imagine how bad it will be in a month or two. My first evo didnt have any separation when I first got it. One week in, I noticed it starting, and just one week after that, I could lift it with my fingernail.

Upvote 0
^you're right sitlet. I suppose I will go swap it (if and when they have one to swap with) and hope it doesn't have the same problem.

EDIT: I have spoken to Best Buy, and while they don't have any right now I was told that this is one of the rare situations where they can hold one for me when it comes in, and will call me to come get it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones