• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashing and rooting overview

the zip file is password protected...!?

You an find a newer version of the recovery image (V0.4!) and the password to unzip here.

Please make sure that the unzipped files are in the directory you changed the command to and where you put the fastboot and adb executables and boot in fastboot mode. It should be working then.

To change the command line, go to command prompt in windows and type for example: cd C:\(directory where the unzipped files are) and press enter. Cd stands for change directory. Then you can give the command 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img' and reboot in fastboot mode: first press call and then power and keep them both pressed.

Upvote 0
I'm having problems with the fashboot part using Windows XP. I download all the files pegasus21 posted into one directory (even downloaded the newer 0.4 recovery). I run the fastboot command and press call+ok+power on but get "< waiting for device >". I suspect I have a problem setting up the drivers. When I first connected the phone to the computer via usb I pointed the windows setup wizard to the directory where I downloaded the drivers and there was no complaints. However I can't see my sdcard in windows explorer or in NPS. Though NPS does detect my phone. Also I updated to I5 in Odin with no problems. Any help anyone. What am I doing wrong?

Upvote 0
Make sure that you have usb debugging mode switched on (settings, applications, development, usb debugging). Then connect the phone to your PC but don't mount it so don't pull down the status bar and connect. Windows should go and search for drivers and after a while ask you to point them yourself. If not you should go te device manager in Windows and there will be an unknown device. Then manually install the driver and you should see an ADB device in the list. If this is the case your drivers are installed fine and fastboot should be working.

Upvote 0
Nightcrow, pegasus21 and benzi, thanks for the help. I didn't have usb debugging switched on. Also it looks like I was running the command too early (as soon as I saw the fastboot text). I ran the command after the fastboot text had finshed printing out, though you can't wait too long as it is pointed out you only have a few seconds. Windows then asked me to install the drivers and I pointed it to the downloaded drivers. Of course fastboot didn't wait for me but the drivers were now installed. I just repeated the process. Et Voila! Thanks people!

Upvote 0
I almost got this working but after I modified the tar file (removed chache.img) and tried to flash using odin, it reports: "check image files !!". I'm guessing this means it searched and failed to find the file I removed then hit the old 'if/then' protocol.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Since the flash failed, does anyone know how to get out of download mode? Or do i have just replace the battery to reset it.
&#1576;&#1585;&#1575;&#1605;&#1580; &#1606;&#1608;&#1603;&#1610;&#1575; - &#1575;&#1604;&#1593;&#1575;&#1576; &#1606;&#1608;&#1603;&#1610;&#1575; - &#1575;&#1610;&#1601;&#1608;&#1606;

Upvote 0
to get out of download mode you will need to remove the battery i believe

however

make sure you are using a program like jzip or 7zip to delete the cache.img directly from the tar and dont extract it
make sure you tick the one package and the browse to the tar from the one package path.

i think this happens if you dont tick the one package from the list of images

Upvote 0
Well, i've spent hours now trying to get adb talking with my galaxy with no luck.
I've downloaded the 1.5 sdk r3, and have referred the driver to the anrdoid_winusd.inf in the directory after extraction of the sdk. After this step the phone is recognized as: Android Composite ADB Interface.
When i hit adb remount i get the "error: device not found", and can't see anything when typing adb devices.
I've even tried with the odin drivers but no luck, anyone has any ideas what i need to do?
can someone upload the proper drivers for adb interaction, perhaps?

on top of that, i've flashed the IH8 firmware, reset to factory state, and i don't have a data connection. I'm just lost now...

thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
You're there!

adb remount will only work with custom firmwares or custom recoveries. Also adb won't always list the device.

If you have the ADB composite device installed, then just make sure you're samsung is booted. Unplug and replug the cable and type 'adb shell'

Like trin in the post above, I too have ADB Composite interface showing up in Device Manager but when I do adb shell, I get error: device not found.

I have II5 with galaxohero rom installed and previously had adb working with windows XP.

Recently I installed Windows 7 x64 and since then adb hasn't worked.

The version of NPS New PC studio I installed was IJI which I had installed with XP. I get the error messages about not being able to install USB drivers but when I check in Device Manager there are no drivers with yellow check marks except for an 'Other Devices - PCI Modem' but its hardware IDs are nothing like the Galaxy's.

Also under XP Samsung information would show under Modems and Ports but neither of these types appear under win 7 and under USB Controllers there is one USB Mass Storage Device and again its hardware Ids are nothing like the Galaxy's. There is no Samsung Composite USB device as under XP.

Is this to be expected or is the fact that the USB drivers were not installed likely to be the reason ADB is not working?

I've been trying for some time to resolve this so any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
hmmm very strange. If i were you i would uninstall NPS and start again. There's a link to a topic in one of the stikies that will help. You should note down every device thats there without your phone plugged in, and then the ones that are there with it in.

Most likely you need to change one of the 'storage devices' to usb composite device, or change driver and force it to the NPS drivers

Upvote 0
hmmm very strange. If i were you i would uninstall NPS and start again. There's a link to a topic in one of the stikies that will help. You should note down every device thats there without your phone plugged in, and then the ones that are there with it in.

Most likely you need to change one of the 'storage devices' to usb composite device, or change driver and force it to the NPS drivers

Thanks for the reply but before posting yesterday I had just re-installed NPS for the 3rd time. There are no changes in the devices before and after installing. Also after plugging in the phone, the only difference is ADB Interface appears!

When you say change one of the 'storage devices' do you mean USB Mass Storage Device? Before and after installing NPS there is only 1 USB Mass Storage Device in the USB Serial Controllers list.

When installing NPS it all goes ok until a message pops up

'Installing device drivers. This may take several minutes.'

Then after a short while I get another pop up

'USB driver install error
Unable to launch the 1 Driver Setup file! Code:1'
and so on for each of the drivers.

Is this the error message you would expect on Win 7 for failure to install the USB drivers because as mentioned above nothing gets set up in device manager whereas under XP something was set up (cannot remember exactly what) which then needed to be pointed to the NPS USB drivers (If my memory serves me well)? I would have expected something similar under Win 7.

How have other Win 7 x64 users managed to set up USB drivers and ADB?

Anything else anyone could think of that I could try?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones