• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Flashing help (I think)

jimispier

Lurker
Mar 10, 2011
I have done multiple searches and I would like to find one good way to install a custom OS without all the sprint crap on there..

I have already rooted and the top line of my "boot" screen says "SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-OFF".

So, I think I am ready for the next step but there is too many conflicting instructions on how to get this done and I really don't brick my phone..

Also, I would like to know what I have to do to ensure I can Re-Root and Reinstall a stock OS in case I need to take it back to sprint..

Thank in advance! (And sorry for my ignorance)

Since you've already rooted, go to rooting for dummies and read the instructions for after rooting. It tells you how to remove the bloatware and easy guide for flashing Roms. The very bottom gives you the steps for un-rooting your evo as well. The guide is at the top of the all things root section. It is a great guide and very informative. If I can follow the easy instructions, anyone can. Lol

Reactions: jimispier
Upvote 0
ok so here we go: so the first thing is we need to get to recovery. so power off then press and hold power+vol down.
1.find and download rom of your choice and transfer it to your card
2.make a nandroid backup. always do a backup whenever you are making changes to your phone.
3.wipe system, dalvik cache and cache
4.select flash .zip from sdcard
5.locate and select your rom file.
6.reboot

the first reboot will take a bit longer then normal as your phone has to build up dalvik cache. if everything looks good go back to recovery and make another nandroid backup. just remember that nandroid backups are your friend.

any more questions please feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
How do I make a nandroid backup? And is it free?

ok so here we go: so the first thing is we need to get to recovery. so power off then press and hold power+vol down.
1.find and download rom of your choice and transfer it to your card
2.make a nandroid backup. always do a backup whenever you are making changes to your phone.
3.wipe system, dalvik cache and cache
4.select flash .zip from sdcard
5.locate and select your rom file.
6.reboot

the first reboot will take a bit longer then normal as your phone has to build up dalvik cache. if everything looks good go back to recovery and make another nandroid backup. just remember that nandroid backups are your friend.

any more questions please feel free to ask.

Upvote 0
So, I can create a backup file and then put the Calkulin's EViO 2 ROM v1.8.zip I am downloading on to my sdcard and simply tell the phone to do a recovery with that file...

ok it is in your recovery.
in clockwork mod select backup and restore then select backup. if you want to go back to your nandroid backup just select restore in recovery.

Upvote 0
sort of. a nandroid backup is a complete snapshot of your phone with all of your settings and data saved. so make a nandroid backup first of your current state of your phone. next download and transfer cualkin's rom to your sd card. flash the rom first and boot up and synch everything first and make sure that everything is working. go back to recovery and then make another nandroid backup. that last step is not necessary but that way if you want a fresh start with caulkin's rom you have a nandroid backup. up to you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones