• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Fonts] Change your fonts using Metamorph

Skaggz

Mar 2, 2010
Change your font the easy way using Metamorph!!
SkaggzFont0.9.1

0.9.1 is out now!! I added a few new fonts and removed some that were not working/ugly. I also fixed the bug requiring you to manually extract the files. You can now extract using Metamorph!

Click HERE for samples of the included fonts!!

Ok, I finally figured it out and am now able to change fonts on the Droid using Metamorph. I pulled some fonts off my PC that looked like they wouldn't be too small to use on the Droid and made a Metamorph compatible file. There are 21 fonts plus the stock Android font. Here is how to use it:

* DOWNLOAD the .zip file onto your phone. 4.4 MB

* Open Metamorph and select 'Pick Theme'

* Find the downloaded .zip file within Metamorph's file browser.

* Select the 'SkaggzFont0.9.1' file

* Metamorph will begin to extract the file and launch the update UI

* Scroll and select a color you want to use **DO NOT HIT THE APPLY ALL BUTTON**

* Hit the 'Apply It!' button when it pops up.

* Then hit 'Yes' to reboot your phone

Once your phone is finished rebooting (it might take a little longer than usual) you will have a new, custom font. It's that easy!

To change your font again after you've ran it once:

* Select 'Existing Theme' in Metamorph

* Select 'SkaggzFont0.9.1'

* Scroll down and select the 'SkaggzFont0.9.1.thm (green icon)

Try it out guys and let me know what you think. I'm open to any type of feedback. If you want a font installed for the next update, tell me about it.

Download Link: SkaggzFont0.9.1.zip 4.4 MB

disclaimer: Use at your own risk, yada yada yada. Always have a current, stable, nandroid backup file. I'm not responsible if your phone dies, explodes, goes swimming directly after eating, tries to have sex with your dog, or even calls your boss in the middle of the night to tell him that you tried to have sex with his dog. I did not create any of these fonts, I just pulled them from my PC and compiled them into a file for use on the Motorola Droid. Fonts have only been tested on the Motorola Droid, so I have no idea what will happen if you try them on another phone.

I look forward to hearing from you guys!
ENJOY!

-Skaggz

The fonts are a lovely way to dress up the phone. One small problem and I do intend that pun... some of them are too small. I tried Chancery and Corsiva and I actually couldn't read them on my phone. My eyes are kinda bad already and they made the labels just too small to see. Segoe is a bit too large but it works for me. I like it very much. Thanks!:)

BTW, I only tried those three.
And it would be nice to choose a custom color for them? Hint, hint...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
You know quite a few of those fonts are copyright restricted and you're not really legally allowed to distribute them.

Honestly I think you would better off writing a guide on how users can make Droid-compatible fonts from their own collections rather than distributing fonts.

I did think about that. I did download most of these fonts from a free font website such as:

1001 Free Fonts - Download Free Fonts for Windows and Macintosh
and
dafont.com

Most of them come with just the .ttf file.
But some of them do come with a .txt file as well that states:

Commercial use in any manner, including (but not limited to) use in
product, service or corporate logo design, inclusion in any software,
archive, collection or library for distribution to the public which
either directly or indirectly generates income for the distributor
requires written permission from the author and copyright holder.

Since I am NOT selling this and generating absolutely NO income in any way shape or form, I fail to see an issue.

Upvote 0
I did think about that. I did download most of these fonts from a free font website such as:

1001 Free Fonts - Download Free Fonts for Windows and Macintosh
and
dafont.com

Most of them come with just the .ttf file.
But some of them do come with a .txt file as well that states:

Commercial use in any manner, including (but not limited to) use in
product, service or corporate logo design, inclusion in any software,
archive, collection or library for distribution to the public which
either directly or indirectly generates income for the distributor
requires written permission from the author and copyright holder.

Since I am NOT selling this and generating absolutely NO income in any way shape or form, I fail to see an issue.

Well if you ever put an ad on your blog that counts as indirect income.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure Comic Sans, Courier new, Chancery, Garamond, Harrington, Segoe and others are not under that text license. Those are pro fonts, if those sites are letting people download them with a text file like that they are breaking the copyright too. To be honest that text file reads like an admission of guilt -- that they are breaking the copyright but they absolve themselves by telling you not to.

Some others I'm not sure about are Ming, Corsiva, Broadway.

Anyways, do what you will, mine is just a suggestion. But dont be surprised if the mods edit your post.

Upvote 0
With andExplorer I was able to navigate to the fonts copy them to my SD then transfer from my SD to my computer. Could I just, say take a ttf and rename it to DroidSans whatever then reverse that process, and not have to use a metamorph?

* Yes, you can take any .ttf you'd like.
* Make a copy of it, so that you have two.
* Name one of them 'DroidSans' and the other one 'DroidSans-Bold'
* Push them into /system/fonts on your phone, overwriting the current .ttf files by the same name.

Upvote 0
* Yes, you can take any .ttf you'd like.
* Make a copy of it, so that you have two.
* Name one of them 'DroidSans' and the other one 'DroidSans-Bold'
* Push them into /system/fonts on your phone, overwriting the current .ttf files by the same name.

Okay cool. I'll give it a try.
Do you know what all the different fonts are used for? Like there's DroidSans and DroidSerif which is used for what on the phone?

Upvote 0
After a quick search regarding font copyright in the U.S., I came up with this. Granted, it's not a legal document, but it does define the current state of copyright laws in reference to electronic typeface in the United States.

That's not true. keep searching there are quite a few more resources on the issue. While there are some weird legal definitions involved, fonts are, in essence, copyrightable.

Fonts copyrightable, judge rules - CNET News

Upvote 0
That's not true. keep searching there are quite a few more resources on the issue. While there are some weird legal definitions involved, fonts are, in essence, copyrightable.

Fonts copyrightable, judge rules - CNET News

That is an instance where a company was taking another company's font, faux-editing it (re-packaging basically) and selling it as their own. I clearly state that I did not create any of these fonts. Plus they are NOT for sale.

Also I just checked all four of the Handcent Font Packs from the market. 16 of the 27 fonts included have copyright listed in their .ttf file. Also, from many different entities. I highly suggest that you bring this to their attention.
Handcent sms HomePage --sms plus software for android

There is a whole slew of font packs on the market. Just search for font. Who knows whats going on with them? I really don't feel like downloading and inspecting them all.

Lastly, the app 'Font Flasher for Root Users' is for sale on the Android Market for $2.29. I'm not gonna pay for it, but I can almost assure there are copyright protected .ttf files in that app. I challenge you, or anyone else, to uncover this information.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously though, by tonight's logic, I'd say that any boot animation that includes the Apple logo, whether rotting away, being pissed on, or otherwise is also a violation of copyright protection. Same goes for anything else that might carry the Motorola or Verizon logo. Any corporate logo for that matter being distributed on this, or any other, forum is a violation. Are we going to burn everyone at the stake? No. What made you bring this up tonight? I don't know.

Technically, anyone who records a football game on their DVR without first contacting the NFL is in violation. Nearly anytime a DVD is shown at a public gathering is a violation.

:endRant

edit: Oh yeah, forgot to include Microsoft's EULA for their TrueType fonts.

Upvote 0
Whatever dude, I'm not out to change the world and chase down copyright violators, but you know in your heart the people who made those fonts probably dont want you passing them around like they are worthless and meaningless. If you wanna rant about it that's your thing, I dont really care anymore.

I hope you're as understanding though if someone steals your work someday.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I did go off on a little bit of a rant there. I'm sorry. I was just momentarily offended about someone calling me out on something that I spent time compiling and getting out there. You being an app developer, I'm sure you can sort of relate. I can understand where you're coming from though. I'm not trying to pass these files off as worthless and meaningless, however. I selected them because, I believe they are optimal for use on the device that that my package is intended to be used with. I'm all for giving credit where credit is due. If you check my website you will see that. I'm not trying to pass the fonts off as my own, all I did was compile them into format that is easier for non tech-savvy users to utilize. The files themselves are unedited. Anyone is free to modify my compilation as they wish, also.

Upvote 0
I figured out a way to add fonts, since I don't know how to fix the thm (total noob to droid). I found lots of cool fonts I wanted, downloaded them into a file, unzipped. Some have the regular TTF and bold, some just the regular. Rename them to "DroidSans" and if only one file, copy/paste/rename to DroidSans-Bold, connect the USB, go into the Skaggz.zip, open a font I don't like, delete the ttf files, add files with winzip (the re-named font on my pc). disconnect the usb, open MM, choose the skaggz.zip, click on "replace", then set the font like normal.
If this is doing the wrong way, or overly complicated, you'll have to forgive me, totally new to this, last thing I got into was a heavily modded RAZR.
Droid 2.1 with BB .9

Upvote 0
I figured out a way to add fonts, since I don't know how to fix the thm (total noob to droid). I found lots of cool fonts I wanted, downloaded them into a file, unzipped. Some have the regular TTF and bold, some just the regular. Rename them to "DroidSans" and if only one file, copy/paste/rename to DroidSans-Bold, connect the USB, go into the Skaggz.zip, open a font I don't like, delete the ttf files, add files with winzip (the re-named font on my pc). disconnect the usb, open MM, choose the skaggz.zip, click on "replace", then set the font like normal.
If this is doing the wrong way, or overly complicated, you'll have to forgive me, totally new to this, last thing I got into was a heavily modded RAZR.
Droid 2.1 with BB .9

Obviously, what you're doing is working for you, so there's nothing wrong with it -- but it can be much simpler than that. You can simply rename the font you want to use to DroidSans.ttf and DroidSans-Bold.ttf (using exactly that capitalization and the hyphen before bold) and use Root Explorer to replace the same files in /system/fonts. Don't forget to change the permissions so that they read "rw-r--r--," then reboot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones