• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Forcing Apps to install to the SD card without root

I have done everything that has been said here, didn't download the mini downloaded the full sdk package. ran through all the steps and hit my head on an error message saying "Device not found."
The reason I would like to download straight to the SD card is because something happened to my internal storage and it will not install anything. It will finish downloading, but wont install. It says "Insufficient memory." I have nearly gutted my tablet trying to free up space. I am at my wits end! I have a Prestige 7 tablet by Visual Land, is that why this won't work? Is it because I am trying to do a phone process on the tablet? I thought it was all the same operating system???

Any help would be appreciated, even pointing me to a different thread! Pulling my hair out here!
:pcguru: Man 0 Computer 1 :(

Upvote 0
Hi I tried this method and everything worked fine, I went through the command prompt easily EXCEPT I had to put "pm set-install-location 2" and I've tried to send apps to my sd card and I've tried downloading new apps, but the size of the SD card doesn't change and I don't see anything different

The phone I'm using is an HTC One VX also

Upvote 0
Hello! I have a problem with step setInstallLocation. When I type: pm setInstallLocation it shows the possibilities and then I type 2 and press enter and it shows the message: permission denied. How can I fix this? :(

Did you run cmd.exe as administrator? If you didn't that's why you got the permission error.

Upvote 0
Hello sir, i have downloaded everythng as u said (SDK tools for Android, Java runtime, and HTC Sync)
and my phone is in charge only mode also USB debugging is ENABLED

when i am typing adb devices its showing 'list of devices attached' not the serial number
n when i am typing adb shell its showing error

please help:(

Attachments

• htc.PNG
    htc.PNG
    9.6 KB · Views: 635
Upvote 0
Hello sir, i have downloaded everythng as u said (SDK tools for Android, Java runtime, and HTC Sync)
and my phone is in charge only mode also USB debugging is ENABLED

when i am typing adb devices its showing 'list of devices attached' not the serial number
n when i am typing adb shell its showing error

please help:(

That screen shot tells me that the drivers are not recognizing the phone. Remove the HTC drivers, reboot your PC and try again. If the generic drivers included with the SDK recognize the phone, you will see your serial number after "list of devices" when you type "adb devices".

Upvote 0
That screen shot tells me that the drivers are not recognizing the phone. Remove the HTC drivers, reboot your PC and try again. If the generic drivers included with the SDK recognize the phone, you will see your serial number after "list of devices" when you type "adb devices".

sir,as u said i uninstall the HTC drivers.. but still the problem is same...what to do now??

Attachments

• htc2.PNG
    htc2.PNG
    7.1 KB · Views: 425
Upvote 0
Ah, ok. This is an old (at least a couple of years) guide, only meant for folks on Gingerbread (2.3) or below.

This isn't gonna work for you, sorry.

If you're rooted, you could look at links2SD or something? What phone do you have?

Rooted phone + locked bootloader + Lolly 5.1.1.

D2303, hard to find a proper root guide, even with older OS versions... I'll give links a try...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones