• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Was hoping for some insight. I've owned an incident free, rooted Droid for almost a year. Lately been flashing back/forth between some ROMs - namely Charity, CROM and PE5.

After settling on CROM Beta 2 yesterday and setting everything up w/o incident, suddenly this afternoon my phone started showing low battery, appearing to overheat and freezing to the point where I had to do battery pull and reboot only to have to intercept the reboot before it could lock up again.

I wiped everything x3 and reinstalled Charity (since it had been stable for me) and reloaded everything. On reload I noticed a lower than normal speakerphone volume that I cleared up with a reboot and one battery pull to clear up a freeze on logging into Pandora.

I haven't installed anything 'new' that I hadn't already been using.

I'm now backing up that image and the phone appears stable and not overheating

Was hoping for any insight as to what would create such an event (overheating/freezing) where the phone had worked fine yesterday and today on way into work.

Appreciate your patience reading through this but it was a surprisingy unnerving event for me.

Hello mjoshea148.

Those behaviors you describe could have several different causes, and could also be more than one issue happening simultaneously.

The overheating can be a result of running a ROM with a kernel that is overclocked and is operating at a level that taxes resources enough to cause the CPU to heat up and of course, drain the battery in the process. Along similar lines, if the kernel is stock or not one overclocked, perhaps you're running SetCPU and have a setting or two causing the problem.

The advice I have on something such as that, especially if it happens more than one time, would be to restore the device to stock, unroot and grab a nice launcher such as ADW or Launcher Pro and have fun customizing. ;) .. bloatware be damned, but there. :D

I know you won't do that; rooters love to be rooted. Been there, done that. ;)

Also, when driving, we go from cell tower to cell tower, often causing the device to constantly search for a signal, which can result in a pretty warm unit after a bit.

Reactions: mjoshea148
Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. Yeah - up until this event I've never had something so wierd happen either rooted or unrooted.

I've reinstalled Charity ROM after full wipe x3 and so far, so good although I do need to wipe battery stats.

I'm also wondering/trying to recall whether I did a full wipe before moving to CROM and whether I had remnants of both that contributed to the problem.

Thank you again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones