• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Front Facing Camera

techjunkie860

Jun 22, 2010
CT
I downloaded the Tango app and its great to communicate with iPhone 4 users. When testing it out with a friend being in the same place, I could see him clearly but he couldn't see me. We were standing next to each other in the same kind of light (street light at night). I could see me on his phone but it was very dark and it was more of the background light, i don't get it i thought that the Evo front camera was better than the iphone 4's front cam??? Was i doing something wrong with the settings? Any comments questions, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

I downloaded the Tango app and its great to communicate with iPhone 4 users. When testing it out with a friend being in the same place, I could see him clearly but he couldn't see me. We were standing next to each other in the same kind of light (street light at night). I could see me on his phone but it was very dark and it was more of the background light, i don't get it i thought that the Evo front camera was better than the iphone 4's front cam??? Was i doing something wrong with the settings? Any comments questions, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

No idea on the camera... My front facing camera is pretty sharp.

Side note: will this communicate with iphone users via an iphone version of Tango, or does it work with Facetime?

Upvote 0
Im going to test this out now!

Upvote 0
It works with anyone that has a front facing camera. I used this with my friends that have iphone4's. Any carrier and its free it allows iPhone4 users to finally use video chat over 3g with out jailbreaking. To me best video chat out and its free.

My front facing camera was pretty decent during the day time in moderate to good light generally. With just the street light testing this out i was kinda put to shame when standing next to each other testing this out (against the iphone4, which by the way i look and argue day in and day out is a inferior device. this just wasnt a good argument). I could see him but I was to dark except the light very dim in the background.

Upvote 0
alot of reviews say it cant be stopped and drains the battery severely...

Everything can be stopped theres always a way, never had and issue. I use advanced task manager. Only concern is the front facing camera.

No actually it cannot be stopped and does severely drain the battery. Open your killer and kill it. then hit refresh and watch it pop up again.
If you use an autokiller, the autokiller will drain your battery because it will be busy killing the app every 15 seconds. It's a lose lose.

Per the Dev team, they are well aware of the issue. Their engineer team is aggressively working on a solution. The current version is 1.4.4236 and they intend to release an update to correct this, and the network issues the application is suffering (1 out of 2 conversations will fail, drop or not connect at all.)

I would recommend not installing until you see a newer version, which per the Dev "Should" correct these issues.

However I can say that in successful trials it is the best video chat app out at the moment. When it works, it works GREAT! That's why it's so disappointing it drains battery so much...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones