• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Froyo/Android 2.2 won't run on your phone? Join us here...

Hey,
I've had almost the same situation as you...
I have tried Froyo first release, FRF57, BBV0.1, NexFro, Team Chaos Froyo...

each time I have the same results...except that my situation seems a bit worse than yours...
As you said, install/loading goes fine, but once loaded up, I log in to my google account, and then it freezes up on sync. so I disable sync, and it seems ok for a moment or 2, and then the sync icon appears in notification bar and it freezes.
I have noticed that if I click "skip" on setting up my google account, everything is fine, but as soon as I log in to my google account, I'm frozen. also I do have problems with Market freezing my phone too, but considering it seems to be the google login that freezes me, I'm not sure.

I wanted to state though, NexFro is definitely the rom that ran the longest before freezing up on me.
I have been posting this question/issue on forums since Saturday, and until today I thought I had the one Droid that can't handle Froyo, but then a friend on Droidforums.net told me about your thread here...so here I am...

Thanks very much for posting, that matches my experience very closely- during setup I know things are going to go badly when the sync icon appears and things start slowing down and then freeze up. Sometimes I can reboot through it, sometimes it never clears and I have to start all over again.

Frustrating, isn't it!! :(

I had NexFro running for a while, but it went belly up, and I've given up for now and am running a CyanogenMod 2.1 ROM based on 5.0.8 test1 build...it's a really great ROM, but I really want the enhanced exchange features and BT voice dialing.

I'm planning on trying to wait until the next round of leaks arrive, hoping that something will improve - maybe the kernels will get better too.

I do have a concern that some of the phones out in the wild just won't run 2.2 due to manuf. variances...be interesting to see if people like you and I end up having to exchange phones when the real 2.2 arrives.

Upvote 0
OK, I loaded another ROM, Peters Bugless Beast (Froyo) and it blows away the other Froyo ROM I iniitally had. No more performance issues at all.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/97074-bugless-beast-v0-1-frf57.html

I ended up installing that ROM, then I installed P3Droid 250-1250Mhz kernel from here (for Android 2.2)

P3Droid Kernels

After that I loaded flash and the Wifi tethering app along with SetCPU and its super fast on my phone. Good luck and hope this helps!

-J

Upvote 0
Thanks for the post, toast. ;)

I'm going to try loading Pete's ROM (Fab's themed version) and sign in with a different Gmail account as my primary account.

That should mean that I get zero downloads/syncs when I set up the ROM, which might mean that whatever is in my saved profile that is ff-ing things up might go away, and 2.2 will work.

Not really believing this will work, but gonna give it a shot...

Dana

Upvote 0
Man, my Droid does NOT like this ROM at all. I wiped everything 4 times and installed. Signed into my Google account and let it install all my apps. Only set up a few things on my home screens and ran the ROM for over a day. It runs hot at idle (40 C) and the worst part is the battery only lasted 6 hours before it needed a recharge!! (Except if I put it in Airplane mode, it ran cooler and lasted way longer, so I must be an issue with this. I have Pete's latest baseband installed) I have rebooted, did a few battery pulls and just let the phone try to "settle" in with no luck. At one point I had it plugged into a USB charging and it was draining the battery faster than it could charge while it was idle! I even re-wiped everything again (5 times!) and reinstalled from scratch, still no luck. I am currently back on BB 1.1 and it's running smooth as ever again. Is there anyone else out there with similar results with this ROM?

Upvote 0
Man, my Droid does NOT like this ROM at all. I wiped everything 4 times and installed. Signed into my Google account and let it install all my apps. Only set up a few things on my home screens and ran the ROM for over a day. It runs hot at idle (40 C) and the worst part is the battery only lasted 6 hours before it needed a recharge!! (Except if I put it in Airplane mode, it ran cooler and lasted way longer, so I must be an issue with this. I have Pete's latest baseband installed) I have rebooted, did a few battery pulls and just let the phone try to "settle" in with no luck. At one point I had it plugged into a USB charging and it was draining the battery faster than it could charge while it was idle! I even re-wiped everything again (5 times!) and reinstalled from scratch, still no luck. I am currently back on BB 1.1 and it's running smooth as ever again. Is there anyone else out there with similar results with this ROM?

I'm impressed...that sounds even worse than my previous experiences. :(

Do you have the sync icon in the notification bar a lot? That was/is always my bugaboo...when it appears bad things can happen, like severe slow-downs, hangs, multiple reboots.

I have the most recent baseband and am running Fabs themed Bugless Beast Froyo ROM...it's actually still working after loading very late last night, and aside from things getting very rough after any reboots it's shocked me by actually running well.

The only advice I have is what didn't work for me every time until last night, which is to install the ROM, let it reboot and just put the phone down and walk away for a while, like 20 or more minutes to give it time to settle. I even had some spontaneous reboots during this initial time, but in the end it settled down w/all my apps installed and has been working for me.

Wish I could help more, believe me, I know how frustrating this is!

Upvote 0
Going through the same stuff. Each 2.2 ROM I install works fine until I sign in to Google. Once that happens my phone will get slower, touch screen will stop responding, and when it goes to sleep it will never wake up. Thought I was doing something wrong but looks like I'm not the only one. I will give some of these suggestions at try and let you know how it worked out. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Good luck - I suggest trying different ROMs...Onyx was a complete fail for me, never could get it to boot. Fab's themed Bugless Beast worked well for a few days, JRummy's Kangaroid ROM is running for me since yesterday (though took a number of reboots to settle down) - I am having problems with wifi and getting 3G back after trying wifi, so I will try the next release of the Bugless Beast Froyo 0.2 when it comes out to see if that helps.

It's a crapshoot - something is different (in a bad way) about or phones. I tried signing in with two other Gmail addresses I have and got the same results, so it definitely appears to be a HW issue...

Upvote 0
Well, still no luck. I deleted all my apps then rebooted. Next I disabled all types of sync and made a backup. I then did a wipe and installed Froyo Kangerade V1.0, but as soon as I tried to sync my contacts it locked up. Did another wipe and tried to install NexBeast FRF57, but yet again the phone lost it's mind when I attempted a sync.

I tried to install/wiping using both SPR and Clockwork, resulting in the same frustration. Is there a way to wipe the phone via the ADB shell?

Upvote 0
Well, still no luck. I deleted all my apps then rebooted. Next I disabled all types of sync and made a backup. I then did a wipe and installed Froyo Kangerade V1.0, but as soon as I tried to sync my contacts it locked up. Did another wipe and tried to install NexBeast FRF57, but yet again the phone lost it's mind when I attempted a sync.

I tried to install/wiping using both SPR and Clockwork, resulting in the same frustration. Is there a way to wipe the phone via the ADB shell?

You can use ADB shell to wipe - command is something like "FORMAT:system or Format:SYSTEM...can't remember.

BBFroyo 0.2 is out, you should give that a try...

Upvote 0
Defintely try Pete's 0.2 Froyo release...smoothest install I've ever had with a 2.2 ROM (and I've done a LOT of 2.2 installs on my 2.2-hating phone).

Only one reboot (spontaneous, after booting up to the home screen things lagged way down and then I set it down and a bit later it had rebooted itself) and then booted up ready to go.

Very happy (so far)... :D

Upvote 0
My peeps! :)

I thought I was the only one so I sat in silence feeling sorry for myself as to why NONE of the 2.2 roms out there would run on my beloved Droid. I suffered all the things listed from the OP to the one above mine. Mostly, and on all 2.2's I tried, as soon as I finished username and password input at the Google sign-in screen, it would freeze to the point of a batt. pull. So I'd skip the Google sign-in and within a minute at the home screen it would freeze. Any 2.2 rom, every time.

I thought to myself "there has been zero hardware change to make software react so negatively...what could it be, and what can I do from a hardware pov to make a change. All I can do is wipe the mem through the CWM and SPR menus...right?" Wrong!

I considered the only way for me to make any kind of hardware change to the phone is really the SD card. That's it. Obviously nothing else is removable/replaceable except for the battery...and if you know you've got a good one we can throw that out. So...we're left with the SD card.

I, like many, ran an alpha build of the Desire rom (w/ the HTC Sense UI) that the ZeusDroid devs were working on. In order to run that rom one needed to partition their SD card with 3 partitions. The main fat32, a swap part, and a ext part. Even though all 2.1 roms ran just fine with my SD card still partitioned that way I thought that was the one and only thing I could test from hardware pov, or at least being able to manipulate the hardware to a point.

Long story longer, I made an image of the SD card and deleted all partitions on it. I then created a single Fat32 part.,(like it comes stock) formatted it, re-inserted it, and have been able to run ALL 2.2 roms offered up since then. After a week begging and pleading with a 2.2 rom to load/run, I couldn't believe the solution was right under my nose. After I was up and running on 2.2, I just dragged the things I needed out of the image file of the card I created (music, pics, etc.) and I haven't looked back since.

While reading through most every one of the posts above, I see no one that has tried that and really only one suggestion of swapping it out altogether. Even though the Droid has its own internal memory, it does obviously interact with the SD card mem and I have at least proven to myself that Froyo wants a 100% healthy SD card to work with or its a no go, and over time mine had become terribly ill.

You can use any Windows or Linux based (or even a Mac god forbid;)) to accomplish on your SD card what I described above.

Give it a shot. Post your results. Couldn't hurt right? You've tried everything else..... :p

Upvote 0
My fiancee has a Droid and I was about to swap ESNs and steal hers, lol. I went through the trouble of rooting it and was about to flash BB 0.1 until I read your post. Just flashed both phones with the new release and they are both running flawlessly! About to install P3's 1200 and see what happens...

Great! Very cool that things are starting to come together on the 2.2 ROMs...

Let me know how P3 kernel goes. I've been partial to Chevy's on 2.2 (the LV 1.0GHz) but I'm paranoid to change anything at the moment, it's working SO well.

Upvote 0
My peeps! :)

I thought I was the only one so I sat in silence feeling sorry for myself as to why NONE of the 2.2 roms out there would run on my beloved Droid. I suffered all the things listed from the OP to the one above mine. Mostly, and on all 2.2's I tried, as soon as I finished username and password input at the Google sign-in screen, it would freeze to the point of a batt. pull. So I'd skip the Google sign-in and within a minute at the home screen it would freeze. Any 2.2 rom, every time.

I thought to myself "there has been zero hardware change to make software react so negatively...what could it be, and what can I do from a hardware pov to make a change. All I can do is wipe the mem through the CWM and SPR menus...right?" Wrong!

I considered the only way for me to make any kind of hardware change to the phone is really the SD card. That's it. Obviously nothing else is removable/replaceable except for the battery...and if you know you've got a good one we can throw that out. So...we're left with the SD card.

I, like many, ran an alpha build of the Desire rom (w/ the HTC Sense UI) that the ZeusDroid devs were working on. In order to run that rom one needed to partition their SD card with 3 partitions. The main fat32, a swap part, and a ext part. Even though all 2.1 roms ran just fine with my SD card still partitioned that way I thought that was the one and only thing I could test from hardware pov, or at least being able to manipulate the hardware to a point.

Long story longer, I made an image of the SD card and deleted all partitions on it. I then created a single Fat32 part.,(like it comes stock) formatted it, re-inserted it, and have been able to run ALL 2.2 roms offered up since then. After a week begging and pleading with a 2.2 rom to load/run, I couldn't believe the solution was right under my nose. After I was up and running on 2.2, I just dragged the things I needed out of the image file of the card I created (music, pics, etc.) and I haven't looked back since.

While reading through most every one of the posts above, I see no one that has tried that and really only one suggestion of swapping it out altogether. Even though the Droid has its own internal memory, it does obviously interact with the SD card mem and I have at least proven to myself that Froyo wants a 100% healthy SD card to work with or its a no go, and over time mine had become terribly ill.

You can use any Windows or Linux based (or even a Mac god forbid;)) to accomplish on your SD card what I described above.

Give it a shot. Post your results. Couldn't hurt right? You've tried everything else..... :p

Great post...I've never partitioned my card, but the general advice about ensuring your card is free of errors/issues is well taken. Congrats on your success...it's funny how amazing it feels when something simple like a normal boot-up occurs. :)

Upvote 0
I am partial to whichever kernel gives me the most OC with the least temps - and right now that is the jldfg 1.2 GHz v1.3 kernel.

Yeah...they were the best for me on 2.1 (his 1.0ghz), but on 2.2 they just weren't working for me.

I've downloaded his 900 (jldfg himself said it was his favorite) to give it a shot when I get brave enough to make any changes to my (Finally) stable 2.2 setup. :)

Upvote 0
So I thought I'd post back here that I am getting a replacement Droid tomorrow...turns out my 2.2 problems appear to be HW related.

I finally decided to apply the 2.2 SBF and see how bone-stock/non-rooted Froyo runs on my Droid...the results were similar to the custom Froyo ROMs I've run...multiple reboots to get stable any time I reboot, screen sometimes freezing/not coming back from sleep, and when I did a factory reset I was unable to get past the initial email account sign-in (Droid kept locking up on the initial sign-in screen). Finally bypassed initial sign-in (four-corner taps) to find that my primary email account had been set up on the phone, but I had lost all apps in my download list except paid apps.

So I called VZW last night and told them that my Droid was sometimes locking up, sometimes not waking up, described what happened when I did a factory reset, and a replacement Droid is arriving tomorrow... :) Got 'em to ship overnight, so it'll be here tomorrow. :)

Hoping/assuming/praying my Froyo problems are at an end!

Upvote 0
So I thought I'd post back here that I am getting a replacement Droid tomorrow...turns out my 2.2 problems appear to be HW related.

I finally decided to apply the 2.2 SBF and see how bone-stock/non-rooted Froyo runs on my Droid...the results were similar to the custom Froyo ROMs I've run...multiple reboots to get stable any time I reboot, screen sometimes freezing/not coming back from sleep, and when I did a factory reset I was unable to get past the initial email account sign-in (Droid kept locking up on the initial sign-in screen). Finally bypassed initial sign-in (four-corner taps) to find that my primary email account had been set up on the phone, but I had lost all apps in my download list except paid apps.

So I called VZW last night and told them that my Droid was sometimes locking up, sometimes not waking up, described what happened when I did a factory reset, and a replacement Droid is arriving tomorrow... :) Got 'em to ship overnight, so it'll be here tomorrow. :)

Hoping/assuming/praying my Froyo problems are at an end!

Since the OTA got going it really appears there are a lot of people out there with the same issues as you. If FRG22 doesnt fix issues that everyone is having motorola and vzw will be replacing a lot of droids

Upvote 0
Since the OTA got going it really appears there are a lot of people out there with the same issues as you. If FRG22 doesnt fix issues that everyone is having motorola and vzw will be replacing a lot of droids

Interesting, thanks for posting that. I haven't been watching the forums here as much lately, so I'd missed that. I bet it's at least partly related to JIT in Froyo. It was very problematic in the home-grown pre-2.2 phase, and maybe all of those issue haven't been worked out in the formal releases.

I did install FRG22 briefly, and IRRC had my usual rebooting issues, so it will be interesting to see if FRG22 fixes things for some/most other users.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones