• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo battery life is awful, need advice (root/calibrate vs hard reset)

ryanmcin

Lurker
Feb 28, 2011
I did the OTA Froyo update last week. Ever since my battery life has been awful. The first day after the upgrade the phone barely went 6 hours before dying (used to go all day with about 30-40% left). My phone was only about 60% charged when I did the update, I read somewhere that that may be the problem.

I have looked for other posts with the same issues and have come across 3 suggestions.
1. Run the battery down to empty and recharge fully a few times.
2. Root the phone and run a battery recalibration app.
3. Hard reset.

I've run the battery all the way down and recharged 3 times now. It has gotten better, but it still is not close to the pre-Froyo performance. It will now make it a whole day, but only with very light usage. I am going to run the battery down once or twice more, but if that doesn't work I am going to try something else.

So, what is the better way to go? Root and calibrate or hard reset?

I have not had any other major problems with the upgrade (no camera issues, no SD card issue, 2 apps needed to be reinstalled, otherwise no issues), so I don't really want to do a hard reset unless that is the best option.

If I need to do a hard reset is there anyway to backup the phone and the restore the data without losing all of the apps and data (in the apps)?

After the update, I noticed that my battery life was horrible too. I thought it would correct itself after a few days, however it never did. Then I decided there must be something that I can do to stop this crazy battery drain. So, I went to menu>settings>applications>running applications. Once here, I found tons of programs running that I thought were shut down. I preceeded to shut down the ones that I could recognize by tapping on the program (highlighted in black) and then pressing stop. THIS WORKED!!! Now my battery lasts almost all day without needing a charge.

Upvote 0
Battery life is going to suck regardless what you do. Battery is too small and cant handle the Android...it's with any Android phone.

Go out and pick up a Seidio Innocell 3300mAh for under $60

They said they had a problem after the update.

to Ryan,
Have you checked your awake time with spare parts? Mine would always be around 80-90% (killed the battery fast). I did a few wipes and reinstalled 2.2 and so far the problem has been fixed. Awake time is now around 10-20%.

Upvote 0
I would certainly suggest a hard reset. This seems to fix the majority of issues people have.

I too updated without a full battery, but I've actually noticed battery life is better. I haven't done a hard reset as I haven't had the issues others have been stating.

Biggest irritation is "time without signal" thing wasn't fixed in the update, so I still do the airplane mode switch everytime I turn the phone off and on again. Come on now, how did they not deal with that??!!

Upvote 0
I should have mentioned that almost all of battery use (according to the battery use details) is going to the display.

I am currently at 18% remaining battery.
88% of the battery usage is display (47 minutes)
8% cell standby
4% phone idle

My display usage % was never this high before even with considerably more display used.

Upvote 0
I should have mentioned that almost all of battery use (according to the battery use details) is going to the display.

I am currently at 18% remaining battery.
88% of the battery usage is display (47 minutes)
8% cell standby
4% phone idle

My display usage % was never this high before even with considerably more display used.

THIS is exactly what is happening with me! I am going to swing by the Sprint store in the next few days to see what they can suggest. It definitely happened after the update. I also thought it was so strange to see the high% of battery usage for the display especially since I have almost always kept my brightness to the bare minimum. Don't know if it is me, but the display looks slightly brighter even though it is on the bare minimum since the update.

Hopefully the nice people at Sprint can help.

Jamie

Upvote 0
I upgraded using the Samsung tool, and then performed a hard reset. My battery life is much better than 2.1. I am easily getting 2 or 3X the usage. Try the hard reset, imo. If you have your info synched to google, it is painless. It took 20 minutes to get my apps back, and a few minutes go regain personalization. 2.2 is running very smooth on my Epic. I had many issues including battery life with 2.1 (6 hours of moderate use). I also found my email would stop working, and when I rebooted, I would have 30 messages from earlier in the day. Email is working great with 2.2.

Upvote 0
You should put system panel app on your phone and see what is really going on. The stock task manager will not show many processes that are running. Wifi calling is running in the background at times at 10% cpu and eating up the battery on some phones. It will look like it is off in task manager. It could be that or something similar.

Upvote 0
The battery life on my wife's Samsung Epic 4G has also been MUCH MUCH WORSE since I did the OTA update from Android 2.1 to Android 2.2.1. I hate the idea of doing a hard reset to fix it but maybe I'll try. Also, I did try JuiceDefender last year before the update and found it crippled the phone and made it lock up and not work on the network frequently so I removed it. I might try that app again now that it's surely been updated and I've updated the OS on the phone as well.

Upvote 0
After the OTA Froyo upgrade, my battery life was terrible. I took the hard reset path. While I did have to reinstall all of my free apps and redo my screens, all of my data was saved to my SD card. Battery life improved dramatically. I get at least 16 hours of moderate use now - 10 minutes of calls, 20 emails, 5 texts, 1 hour of Angry Birds :).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones