• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo consensus?

ron

Sep 17, 2009
For those who have upgraded to 2.2, how do you feel about it? Has the speed noticeably improved? More stability? More better?!
Just curious as to what those of us with non-N1 phones have to look forward to as this version gets released for other handsets.

I am also wondering if this: "Apps can now send information to the Google server and have it send the info to the phone, wake it up and even load up whatever info they want" means that there will FINALLY be some decent mail clients with PUSH. That's the one thing which keeps me thinking about my old BB is the instant e-mail...

Thanks!

The apps thing is both great and scary, have to see how it develops. As to froyo I have been rooted and on custom roms for a while now. Froyo itself feels about the same in terms of speed just clicking around as cm. While a lot of people raved about the speed of cm I felt that it was faster just so as you would notice than stock 2.1. Froyo is faster in a couple of particular places in my usage. The browser loads much faster. The gallery is noticeably quicker but not big time. Having hulu is nice although the phone pulls some heavy battery when I use it. I have never had a stability issue on stock 2.1, cm, or enomther. Nothing so far with froyo but 24 hours in its hard to make a call on it. As it looks now the N1 is pretty darn stable no matter how you slice it. The only thing that has got my phone whacked is some of the experimental kernals but I dont think you can consider that as a knock against the phone.

Hard to guess how it will go with other devices but it is a worthy upgrade and I think you will be glad to have it. Within the next few weeks I would imagine most of the apps that need some api updating like handcent should be upgraded so that aspect should already be taken care of by the time other handsets are getting updated. If you have been on custom roms like me its a bit grating to lose some of those goodies but cyanogen and enomther both seem to indicate that froyo should present no unusual challenges to rom development.

edit... A couple other things. The pc to mobile works, not sure I'll ever use it much but it has interesting possibilities for the future. Apps to sd also works although you have to be rooted and force them now, it needs to be enabled on the app end which is another one that will probably be hashed out by the time it hits other devices. Its nice not to have to run an ext 4 anymore though and just have one big fat 32 partition.

Upvote 0
Ok, so sounds like you both like it thus far, though nothing earth shattering as yet ;-)

Any sense of how reliable the mail app is? I always have intermittent mail checking using the Hero and 1.5 or 2.1: When it's supposed to check mail every 15 min, I will look and often it has not checked in an hour or two...very problematic if you are trying to run your business with this thing.

Thx!

Upvote 0
I really like it. It makes the OS as fast as launcher pro and is generally a lot smoother in scrolling. The gmail update makes that app a lot easier to navigate around. The wifi connection seems to be more stable and there's now stacks more memory available. Sound quality during calls and listening to music is also noticeably improved and the finishing calls using the power button is handy. Also flashing the trackball red when the battery is low is useful.

Reactions: Ryjabo
Upvote 0
So far, I'm impressed. I had a lot of Live Wallpapers that would lag the UI really bad when sliding between screens. Even though the Live Wallpaper, itself, didn't lag, the UI would. That problem is no more, thanks to 2.2

Also, I wet myself a little when I opened Advanced Task Manager and noticed 300MB of memory available!

I'm really anxious for a few certain devs to update their Live Walls, the one I like the most is no longer supported (NexusMod by Chris Soyars) and there's another one called "Nexus Revamped" that doesn't even show up when I search the market anymore, due to the fact that the market is filtered based on device/OSversion.

Other than that... I'm very happy.

EDIT: I'm worried that Devs will be slow to update for 2.2 because there are a lot of devices that don't have it yet, aren't getting it for quite a while, or will never have it.

Upvote 0
I thought the sound on calls was just me, but if someone else says it's better also, then I believe it is. It's louder and more clear. I talk to the same people everyday so it's not just different phones.

plus the memory and the color notifications.
edit,, and wifi more stable in my house. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting

one more.. the auto update option of apps seems to be working. two of mine just updated while the screen was off.

Upvote 0
My battery died halfway through the day with normal use, whereas with 2.1 I could go a day and a half if I wanted to before charging. I unplugged my phone an hour ago and its already at 80% charge. I have wifi turned on all day, but never connected unless i'm at home.

Also, with the browser, in 2.1 whenever I closed the browser, and killed the app, opening the browser would take me to the google homepage. Now with 2.2, it reloads the last page i was at, and any other windows that were still open when I closed the browser. This is very annoying.

Any ideas on how to fix these problems?

Upvote 0
My battery died halfway through the day with normal use, whereas with 2.1 I could go a day and a half if I wanted to before charging. I unplugged my phone an hour ago and its already at 80% charge. I have wifi turned on all day, but never connected unless i'm at home.

Also, with the browser, in 2.1 whenever I closed the browser, and killed the app, opening the browser would take me to the google homepage. Now with 2.2, it reloads the last page i was at, and any other windows that were still open when I closed the browser. This is very annoying.

Any ideas on how to fix these problems?

are you sure your app killer application is working properly with the update?

Upvote 0
I imagine it has something to do with the app killers no functioning properly. the battery drainage is the multiple apps running in the background and of course the browser isnt closing properly.

this is just speculation on my part seeing as i havent gotten the update, but from what i have seen from my updates in the market, not many have new updates optimized for 2.2

Upvote 0
a fair amount of stuff has already been ported up to 2.2... optimized though? that's arguable... with all the FC we've seen, can you really say things were ever optimized?

as for speed, the linpack benchmarks for me show me running almost 5x higher than CM. (MFLOPS)

http://joelee.org/NexusOne-Eclair-Froyo-Benchmark.png

flash works great for videos, sucks for games(expected, don't care)

i can't wait for the rest of the source to drop. i want my trackball notifications back! also the bit about streaming music, i haven't been able to find a thing about it on the web for it. which sucks. not sure if it wasn't included or if it's something that hasn't been rolled out yet, if it will be in the marketplace. looking forward to the marketplace update.

Upvote 0
I noticed that I don't mess up on the keyboard as much, so thinking they improved it some. screen now times out while on bluetooth calls instead of staying on and draining battery. facebook contacts don't sync up anymore, sure that will be fixed... overall faster, auto back light option in the quick brightness tab thingy (that was really annoying in the past having to go back in the menu to return the back light to auto). browser seems faster, apps definitely install faster.
battery for me seems a little better..
Maybe some apps aren;t good for 2.2 yet?
I am loving my phone more then ever.
Until
I slipped and fell on my side, on my phone today and now the screen is cracked and turning purple.

What you guys think, have HTC fix it, or drcellphone.com?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones