• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Froyo Kernels

Which devs kernels work the best for you

• jdlfg

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • ChevyNo1

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • P3Droid

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • Jake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bekit

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • TopQuark

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Slayher

Votes: 33 31.4%

• Total voters
I've never flashed a custom kernel or ROM, but wouldn't you just restore a Nandroid backup. Or would this not revert the Kernel?

I want to know this for sure! Before I flash custom stuff. Also, can I try a custom Kernel before trying a custom ROM?

I run Bugless Beast 0.4 custom ROM currently and saw about a 20% increase in battery life going that route, and my Quadrant score jumped from 850 to almost 1100. I JUST decided today to try going to a different kernel and am trying a LV Chevy 1 ghz. I just checked my Quadrant at 1381...which is my highest so far, and the phone definitely feels very smooth.
I have had it unplugged for 3 hours and have run two Quadrant tests and played a little music and it is down to 90% so it seems quite promising.

In response to the question about the "stock" kernel, I don't really know why anyone would want or need to revert back to a truly stock kernel. As others have said, download a number of different kernels on to your SD card in case the kernel you want doesn't work, then just pick any 800mhz kernel that works on your phone to "act" stock.

Yes, a Nandroid restore would put you back to whatever kernel and whatever ROM you saved.
Also, I think ROM Manager has "Stock images" that you can download that should be a stock ROM and kernel.

Yes, I do believe a custom kernel can be tried before a custom ROM.
The only real precaution is to have several different kernels of different voltages and speeds available in case your chosen kernel gets you stuck in a boot loop.

Have fun.

Upvote 0
some roms have arguably better kernals than those you could download on a mhz per mhz basis. ud8 for instance comes with the best 800 mhz kernal you could ask for! however the easiest way to obtain your stock kernal is to simply reflash your rom of choice without wiping data, once you flash a rom that is.

Upvote 0
Just for curios sakes, if someone wanted to revert to the original kernel, how would you do it? I have search but came up empty.

don't think you can.. I think you would have to do some sort of master reset to get it back to factory. and then, not sure it would do so. once you flash a kernel, you are stuck using after-market kernels from what I have always thought.

Upvote 0
I've never flashed a custom kernel or ROM, but wouldn't you just restore a Nandroid backup. Or would this not revert the Kernel?

this assumes you did a nandroid - and still have it - that contained the original kernel. that is always the first thing 1 should do in rooting is backup your ROM, so if you kept it you should have it

Also, can I try a custom Kernel before trying a custom ROM?

for sure. at the start, I changed kernels about every day or so until I found ones that were stable. I even keep 2 on my SD card at all times plus any one I am testing. and, I do not do custom ROMS.. so yes, you can do kernels first.

Upvote 0
Slayher - Whats the difference in interactive mode and on demand... i have a few profiles enabled. batt low, temp, screen off, and overall charging/full.

i switched to interactive and noticed the min sampling rate is the only adjustable setting..and it is at default 50000us, not 30000us like when im in ondemand.

what difference should this result in?

I would like to know as well.

Upvote 0
I would like to know as well.

there was a post from slay a little while back on htis. I believ he said that the single variable that can be changed when in interactive (its also on on demand but there is other options) is the amount of time your phone runs at a peak performance until it then recognizes what speed it needs to supply for w/e taks(s) you are running at the time. The smaller that number..the less time your phone is in that "peak" mode. It should increase battery life. But i wouldnt expect a drastic change in batt life as much as a change in snappyness from your phone.

SO in short interactive is a mix between performance and ondemand. Within that x amount of time set, your phones performance is optimal(performance setting), until it recognizes what it needs(ondemand setting)

Upvote 0
Thanks! Did some more careful reading and found it myself, too.

Been using his 1.2ghz kernel for a few days now, very happy with it, but I have a few questions. Sometimes it seems like there are only two speed settings, 300mhz and 1.2ghz, I rarely see it anywhere in between, even with on-demand. Is this just due to the update speed of SetCPU?

Also, just curious, do you see any significant battery-life gains with a kernel that has a min clock of, say, 125, instead of 300?

Upvote 0
Is there a web site that lists all the kernels (and hosts downloads) from the different makers? If not, would that be something worthwhile having, and would the creators of the kernels go for it? I'd be happy to whip something up if so, I just don't want to do all the work if no one would use it...

PS: might also list ROMs, unless those are available elsewhere...
I have been searching for just such a list! "The Incredible List" is a great one but limited, not comprehensive.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know the name of the stock kernal? Or where I could get a copy?

Nope...

I've searched and couldn't find a flashable "Stock" kernel. If you flash a stock Motorola ROM, it will install the stock kernel.

Also, if you made a nandroid backup of your stock ROM you could do an advanced restore and restore the boot partition only. that would put the stock kernel back on your device (do a backup first just in case it boot loops your device).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones