• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Froyo/Mobile Hot Spot Usage/US Cellular

An occasional use with wifi hotspot to check email/surf the web will go unnoticed. USCC will start paying attention when you use significantly more data than your normal average. I use my wifi hotspot a couple times a month for brief periods when out-of-town. And, I guess if USCC wants to cut me off after being a customer since 1998 I'll find another carrier.

Upvote 0
US Cellular has no way of tracking what you use your data for other than seeing how much you've used.
Um... yes they do. That's funny. Every server between you and the data you're fetching on the Internet knows what you're doing. Your ISP, in this case US Cellular, is no exception. Whether they log it or whether they audit the logs is another matter entirely. They know. It's just whether they wish to take action or not.

It may be vague, but I believe US Cellular is clear enough. Your 5GB 3G plan is for the device you got from US Cellular. If you want to share it, you need to pay for the tethering plan. I do not agree with that, and I believe the tethering plan should raise your cap (by a lot) because you're already paying a lot. And as they say, tethering will boost your data usage. But that is just what I think. What they say goes, and we sign a contract agreeing to abide by their rules.

Being able to tether is just a function of the hardware and software. The WiFi modem goes both ways, and you can use it to turn your phone into a router. And Android supports this. Doesn't mean you have permission to use it. It's like filesharing. You can... but if you do, you may be penalized.

And they may ignore tethering usage if it's small... or they may not. The point is, the rules are clear and they have the means to tell whether you are or not.

Upvote 0
you cannot use the hotspot, the US Cell side will shut you down. Somehow they know if it's working on their end and can control. Oh well PDA net does what I need it to do anyhow.

This is absolutely correct. I have the new Aviator and when I try to tether, it connects for a moment, then sips and I get the message, "Tethering Detected - Tethering and portable wifi hotspot service requires a subscription plan. Call 611 to subscribe."

Not happy.

Upvote 0
The feature has been disabled on the newest USCC phones, like the Aviator. It works just fine with my Moto Electrify, as I am writing this post using the Mobile Hotspot feature. I don't like it either, as I pay for 5G a month and rarely use 1.5G. I never used Mobile Hotspot much, but it was great when I needed it. Such is life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones