• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Funny discussion going on at macrumors

ajarnfalang

Sep 1, 2013
They're over there posting the news that Facebook ads are 1780% more profitable on iOS than on Android. The usual stuff about them being able to spend money on iOS because people feel more secure and Android is crap.

But I was thinking. On my iPhone, when I checked my Facebook every other post was an unsolicited ad trying to sell me things.

Here on android I haven't seen 1 ad. My feed is clean.

How come nobody says anything about that?

I can't post there. I was banned because I said iPhone seems crap compared to my G2

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/17/facebook-ads-1790-more-profitable-on-ios-than-on-android/

I'd post in that but I'm overcome by apathy. My fiance has a Macbook Pro and we've discussed this many times.

Android is simply the better one-size-fits-all OS for the person who wants a mobile computer. Even moreso with Ubuntu Touch, now, and more multi-view ROMs. USB ports, ad blockers, etc etc.

Apple, with their removal of CD drives, fusing batteries to the laptops, limiting iOS to only the iTunes store, has a stable computer system and ecology, but its completely restricting and increasingly toylike, even if the hardware is good and software (on MacOS) is decent.

Upvote 0
If the ads are pay-per-click, then I suspect the reason would also have to factor in that 90% of people that don't have any internet 'street-smarts', as it were, probably buy the iPhone by default. These imbeciles click almost every ad they see. I have a roommate who does just that on his computer. Clicks dozens of ads a day(and has tons of viruses on his computer that I've given up trying to clean off).

Reactions: Stannis the Mannis
Upvote 0
I'd post in that but I'm overcome by apathy. My fiance has a Macbook Pro and we've discussed this many times.

Android is simply the better one-size-fits-all OS for the person who wants a mobile computer. Even moreso with Ubuntu Touch, now, and more multi-view ROMs. USB ports, ad blockers, etc etc.

Apple, with their removal of CD drives, fusing batteries to the laptops, limiting iOS to only the iTunes store, has a stable computer system and ecology, but its completely restricting and increasingly toylike, even if the hardware is good and software (on MacOS) is decent.

I had a MacBook air stolen. My feeling about MacBook is that they make great laptops. At least the air did. I wouldn't have mac os on a desktop though.

As for phones. I'm just saying. I've got 1,600 pictures synced to my iPhone and I can't get them out. They're in the laptop that was stolen. So? What's the fix? Email them all to myself?

Seriously. I'm never buying another iPhone until they kill iTunes.

Upvote 0
Any organization that bans someone because they offer an opinion that isn't popular to it's lemmings...err users.. is a site generally not worth wasting time at.

I have to say, Android people are much nicer.

I asked the Apple expert in my school how to get pictures out of an iPhone. Then I showed him I can access all the folders inside my g2 without installing anything. That was 2 days ago. No response. He was chatting with me and when I brought it up he went silent.

Upvote 0
I have to say, Android people are much nicer.

I asked the Apple expert in my school how to get pictures out of an iPhone. Then I showed him I can access all the folders inside my g2 without installing anything. That was 2 days ago. No response. He was chatting with me and when I brought it up he went silent.

This is a great community of people willing to help, I am glad you are finding your android and the community support available here above par of what you have been subjected to in the past.

Upvote 0
Well I didn't read too much of the replies here, but I read some there. And I'm sure that some of my points have been stated, but I think its a different perspective anyways.

As a consumer, I am much happier with android fb ads. Being 1 in every 10 posts.

As a developer I am happy with android because I don't have to pay as much for ads on android, and reaching a much wider audiance. (Android having the largest market share.)

As a techie, and freeware advocate I totally support ad supported apps, sites, and more. It not only tells me at least what the new stuff is (I.e. advertisments for new stuff) but I'm supporting the free and open development idea. Where the creators can get their bread, and I get the free information.

Sure I uninstall some apps because of their ad scheme. But because its intrusive to the app flow. An ad after death in a game is fine. A death at startup is fine. But when the ad forces me to leave the app and go to their website, or in the middle of a game, its gone. And if ios users agree with that, just to get devs their bread. They don't understand what the reality of business is. Make the best possible product for the cheapest price while making the most money. Currently, I see this a few ways. A 99 cent app, a free app with in app purchase to lose the ads, or lightly ad supported.

Yes android can have ad blockers, but about 99% of android users use no such thing.

If you like ios, that's your thing, but its their fanboys that put me off to it. Steve jobs this and I"crap" why can't we just enjoy what the best product is at the time? For me right now, its most definetely android.

With this I bid ios users a sorry adue.

Btw ajarn, us android users are more likely to tell you, hmm I'm not quite sure yet, we do our research (sometimes leading to questions on this forum) and find a way. Or if its completely impossible. We will tell you :)

Like I'm sure there's a way on ios. There's gotta be, files aren't just floating around. It may require an app but I'm sure that app exists..

Upvote 0
I asked the Apple expert in my school how to get pictures out of an iPhone .. That was 2 days ago. No response. He was chatting with me and when I brought it up he went silent.

Darn!

My missus wants to get her pictures off her Air and I just assumed that had to be really easy :eek:

Isn't what he said considered trolling? People here get banned for that too.

Depends on what was said, but Trolling isn't the same as disagreeing.

If you look in the Politics section here, there are lots of passionate debates - so passionate, the Mods occassionally have to cool things down. People disagree profoundly and they make their arguments robustly, but I don't think you'd call any of it 'trolling'.

Upvote 0
Darn!

My missus wants to get her pictures off her Air and I just assumed that had to be really easy :eek:

Depends on what was said, but Trolling isn't the same as disagreeing.

If you look in the Politics section here, there are lots of passionate debates - so passionate, the Mods occassionally have to cool things down. People disagree profoundly and they make their arguments robustly, but I don't think you'd call any of it 'trolling'.

That why

Upvote 0
Isn't what he said considered trolling? People here get banned for that too.
People get banned here for infractions of our rules. We're very tolerant of personal opinions. Believe me, if people got banned here for voicing their opinions...I would've been toast a long time ago! :eek: :laugh:

The OP said, "I was banned because I said iPhone seems crap compared to my G2." Assuming that's an accurate depiction of what they said and what happened as a result, I can say with a great deal of confidence that a similar opinion [about an Android device] would not get someone banned here. More likely, there would be discussion asking them WHY they feel that way, what exactly makes their iPhone [or whatever] better than [whatever Android device].

Of course, if they signed up solely to pop in and insult Android and/or its users, that's a different story. But anyone with a legitimate desire to discuss things is pretty much welcome. :)

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Dear MoodyBlues,

You have received an infraction at AndroidForums.com.

Type: Ban
Duration: Permanent
Reason: You have too many opinions. Enjoy your next forum and consider having fewer opinions.

Remember, you can convert an opinion into an onion by subtracting 3.1415926535 - please make a note of it.

~~~~~~~

If anyone has any questions or concerns about being banned for adding pi to an onion, feel free to let us know.

Otherwise - yeah.

No.

Just enjoy yourself here ok. ;) :)

Upvote 0
Dear MoodyBlues,

You have received an infraction at AndroidForums.com.

Type: Ban
Duration: Permanent
Reason: You have too many opinions. Enjoy your next forum and consider having fewer opinions.

Remember, you can convert an opinion into an onion by subtracting 3.1415926535 - please make a note of it.

~~~~~~~

If anyone has any questions or concerns about being banned for adding pi to an onion, feel free to let us know.

Otherwise - yeah.

No.

Just enjoy yourself here ok. ;) :)
:laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Darn!

Photos are actually very easy to get off a Mac, they're all there in a folder called iPhoto Library. :) You just copy them to a removable drive or upload them to Flickr or whatever. With an iOS device the pictures do appear in a folder when you plug it into a PC, even if it doesn't have iTunes. There's no DRM or anything and they're not hidden. And again you can upload them to an internet site if you want. No computer needed. As long as the device is on-line.

Upvote 0
People get banned here for infractions of our rules. We're very tolerant of personal opinions. Believe me, if people got banned here for voicing their opinions...I would've been toast a long time ago! :eek: :laugh:

The OP said, "I was banned because I said iPhone seems crap compared to my G2." Assuming that's an accurate depiction of what they said and what happened as a result, I can say with a great deal of confidence that a similar opinion [about an Android device] would not get someone banned here. More likely, there would be discussion asking them WHY they feel that way, what exactly makes their iPhone [or whatever] better than [whatever Android device].

Of course, if they signed up solely to pop in and insult Android and/or its users, that's a different story. But anyone with a legitimate desire to discuss things is pretty much welcome. :)

I have been given infractions here for expressing my opinion. One opinion was considered an attack on another user. Another opinion was that the mod in question was biased based on a statement they previously made.
I was told I could've received another infraction for expressing the opinion that the mod was biased.

So the safer thing to say would be "People get banned here for infractions of our rules which are subject to the moderators opinion."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones