• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S vs Desire

Seriously has anyone here even gone and seen the samsung its the most hideous looking phone I have ever seen but on the up side it is light. I'm no snob when it comes to looks hence I didn't buy an i phone but the samsung galaxy s looks so cheap and plastic that I'm surprised its sold at all.

Upvote 0
Guys - I think we're going too far now. I think Samsung was THE best company at making innovative phones a couple of years ago. Them lot came out with some nice different looks, and their famous for their slidey phones. Now the fact that the Galaxy S might have better hardware doesn't make it a better phone as the other dude said. I have no problems with the physical look, in fact it might encourage a few guys who want an iPhone but something with a larger screen, better display and just Android on it. I myself would like an iPhone-looking device except with the Android OS. The physical appearance of the iPhones are pretty good but I agree that now their quite dead since they've recycled the same look for eternity now. The thing is even though it might be plasticky and a bit cheapish, I dont think its quite a crappy phone. I've used Samsung phones before and had a great time using some of their devices. Its a first for Samsung to bring out such a high-spec phone so hopefully they should improve on their next gadget. End of story.

Upvote 0
I thought I would pipe in as a SGS user (seems no one in this Desire sub thread has used one from experience).

I have played with a Desire and if it was available on my carrier I probably would have got it instead - only because I like the Sense UI better. :)

I was choosing between an "i word" 4 and an SGS coming from a Iphone 3G, the original Samsung Galaxy and a Blackberry 9700 so I have used all types of phones and OS.

I made a split decision to get the SGS as they are selling quite fast here in Australia - I didn't want to miss out. As soon as I held it in my hand I was dumbfounded how light it was. In a good way! Yes it looks like the iPhone 3G and I like that, because people will think that's what I have and then BAM, no sir, it's something different! :D I don't think it's "cheap" looking, but I do think it's a smudge magnet. But I don't know a touchphone that isn't. It fits nicely in the hand and despite it's size, it's not annoying once you've got a hold of it.

Then the screen turned on, again, I was in awe of it's fabulous colours. I keep mine on the lowest display brightness and it's still amazing. Coming from the original SG, it wasn't as "flowing" as an iPhone which gave me the $hi%s and ended up putting it back in its box a month later. The multi-touch screen on the SGS is sensitive and comfortable, like an old friend. Text is clear and precise.

What does annoy me about this phone is obviously the big chance of it not being able to get Froyo. It does not have a camera flash or LED notification (which I relied on, on my BB). The speaker phone is quiet and if it's resting on something it muffles the speakers on the back. So far that's all I can complain about.

It doesn't lag, everything seems to respond very well. Phone quality is excellent. I LOVE SWYPE (no idea if that is on the desire) but it definitely is the fastest way I've been able to type on any phone yet and I don't get the cramps in my fingers from a physical qwerty keyboard like the BB when doing a big long email.

Overall - I thought I never would be able to change from an iPhone and be satisfied. I have wanted to, especially with my love for Android, but always felt there was something that just didn't cut it, until now... I love my SGS, and I am surprised I do. But like I said, if the Desire was on my carrier, I probably would of gone for that because I was VERY skeptical about the SGS. At the end of the day, specs aside, it comes down to the little personal preferences that make a happy phone user.

:D

Upvote 0
I had the choice between the two handsets at my most recent upgrade and picked the Desire.

Reasons:

1. I think HTC work more closely with Google and are therefore likely to get more/better/quicker updates to the handset.

2. I've had 2 Samsung phones in my last 4 (D500 and Tocco) and both were on their last legs when I upgraded - hopefully HTC's build quality and longevity are better.

3. My work colleage has another Samsung Android phone (Galaxy, not Galaxy S) and he's had a few software-related problems. Neither his network operator or Samsung have been able to help him so far.

4. Finally I don't think that Samsung do well with their batteries, so that was another + towards HTC - althought this is a fairly moot point when it comes to smartphones that get charged daily.

Reactions: T.I.
Upvote 0
PS. The bad build of Samsung and almost 100% "no updates" strategy from this company makes me buy Desire. Plus, all my friends always complain that their Samsungs dies from hardware malfunction...

This is why I'm probably going to end up with HTC Desire. I know I dropped my Hero on cement, the back cover and battery jumped out, I even spilled water over it. I thought it was the end of it. It doesn't have any scratch, just one micro dot on the back cover. That's it.

Imagine a SGS dropping like that, now that would definitely be the end of it.

Regarding the support, I saw the SGS has the 2.2 update already :)

Anybody using one?

Upvote 0
The Samsung Galaxy S quite clearly has the better hardware; that can't be disputed.

It has a superior CPU and GPU, a larger screen that is more visible in sunlight, more internal storage memory, more ROM, higher capacity battery, "true" multi-touch.

But for me it's all about the software.. and you really can't beat sense imo :D It's so intuitive.

Nokia have been at the forefront of mobile hardware for as long as I can remember, but their software has never been anything to write home about.

Well, about the software part. When I played with it, I said the Desire is definitely the choice. The SGS is kinda lame, also it looks like it's trying to be an iPhone. Then I saw Luncher Pro so the UI is not really a problem here.

Upvote 0
But most this stuff doesnt matter. If we're gonna talk stats here, then we can never choose the ideal phone. Its gotta be first-hand experience which does the talking. Have you used a SGS? You might've noticed the difference in just using the touchscreen that there is a fair difference. THe Desire to me seem to be a more reliable phone after using. I'd also prefer having a better looking phone (The Desire) than the SGS. But all that said, I dont think the SGS is a bad phone. It's good, but hardware speaks nothing. There almost identical.

Another thing a device needs. Since the main function of it is a Phone, I could say the Desire is on top here, but this is because I currently have one. Things might have changed with the SGS. Maybe it's better than it's reputation. Samsung is a much bigger company, capable of much better products and I don't think they would stick out of the new smartphone mobile marked wave. Then again, HTC is a phone exclusive company and might focus on the terminal more than Samsung does.

I would definitely love to see one device build by both companies. Imagine a really great and reliable media smart phone!

Upvote 0
Seriously has anyone here even gone and seen the samsung its the most hideous looking phone I have ever seen but on the up side it is light. I'm no snob when it comes to looks hence I didn't buy an i phone but the samsung galaxy s looks so cheap and plastic that I'm surprised its sold at all.

I played with both for an hour or so in the same time, comparing and thinking. Any phone that you will hold in your hand feels cheep after you hold the desire (or any metalish HTC phone) and sincerely this was my first impression as well: cheap phone; second impression: UI sucks. But when you consider and compare you have to think out of the box, so I ignored the Desire for a couple of minutes and focused on the SGS, changed it's UI completely and actually started to love the big display and the way it feels so light and fast.

Basically this smartphone also does media much much better than the HTC, btw did you know it has TV Out?

I'm still not convinced. I really wanted a Desire, but now I'm confused. There are some expectations that the Desire doesn't meet.

How is the GPS signal with the Desire? I know I had issues with my Hero, sometimes it took over a minute to get signal and very rare got a signal in around 10-20 seconds

Upvote 0
Well...

I dont choose Samsung because Desire has:

-froyo
-Proper GPS
-More reliable company.

I would choose Samsung if they would fix the three above.

Ohh and Stop complaining about:

samsung weight- Everyone with more then 2 working braincells knows that lighter=better.

Looking like Iphone- What this even means? I phone is a cheap copy of LG prada. so this excuse is void and pointless.

Upvote 0
I thought I would pipe in as a SGS user (seems no one in this Desire sub thread has used one from experience).

I have played with a Desire and if it was available on my carrier I probably would have got it instead - only because I like the Sense UI better. :)

Overall - I thought I never would be able to change from an iPhone and be satisfied. I have wanted to, especially with my love for Android, but always felt there was something that just didn't cut it, until now... I love my SGS, and I am surprised I do. But like I said, if the Desire was on my carrier, I probably would of gone for that because I was VERY skeptical about the SGS. At the end of the day, specs aside, it comes down to the little personal preferences that make a happy phone user.

:D

Finally, somebody with the phone to share an opinion.
I'm aiming at the SGS because of the hardware. Not that it's necessarily better (and bigger) than the HTC but because I like it better and bigger (some would prefer a smaller phone in their pocket, I really enjoy browsing on this tiny screen).

My question is. How's the GPS on SGS. I have heard that it's not that reliable.

What about Froyo?
Samsung: Galaxy S Getting Android Froyo Update in September

Do you think it's true?

I know I waited for 2.1 on my Hero for a couple of good months.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones