• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S2 GT I9100 suddenly switching off

I have an S II GT i9100, running v. 2.3.3

Baseband version I9100XXKF1
Kernel version 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKF3-CL276555
root@DELL101 #2

It was purchased secondhand and unlocked, about four months ago, from a well-reviewed Amazon Marketplace dealer.

Several days ago I did a factory reset as I was unhappy with some performance aspects and wanted to clean slate. Since then I have had a problem with phone suddenly switching off, without any battery or crash warning. It just flicks off. I have two batteries, Samsung 1650 mah, and it happens with both of them.

It does not appear to be a function of battery level, it can happen when the battery is more than half or close to fully charged; when I turn phone back on, it usually shows there is still juice (although sometimes it comes back on and shows significant drain). I am not in Power Saving Mode. When it occurs, it tends to do so in clusters - flicks off, I turn back on, it flicks off again a few minutes later. It tends to happen when I am using the browser and have been for a while (for example reading a newspaper).

Also since I did the reset, whenever I change batteries the date and time revert to 0:00, 1/1/2000. I get a notification from What's App that the date is wrong. This was not happening before reset. Since both problems seem in some way connected to batteries, wondering if they are related.

Any assistance/advice much appreciated,
Andy

Given that this phone is four years old, I would definitely suspect a worn out battery. You might want to check the battery physically, and see if it's bulging or otherwise deforming. If it is, stop using and replace it immediately!

The date and time should be retained when you remove the main battery. that fact it's not, generally means the backup battery is dead. Which is an internal component, and not user replaceable. Or it's become disconnected, maybe because of impact. Can you hear anything rattling around inside the phone if you shake it, some Nokias were very prone to that, if you can, it's likely the backup battery. It's actually a lithium button cell, usually soldered to the main logic board.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones