• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S2 stuck on logo screen

Somniac

Lurker
Dec 14, 2014
Hi all, I bought a sim-free S2 about 3 years ago (just a retail version, new and unrooted) and was using my O2 Ireland sim card in it with no issues for the better part of 2 years. After that I noticed the battery life took a massive dip and overheating was an issue, and when I took the battery out I saw that it was "swollen".
Anyway, I got a new battery and it was working fine for a while until one morning I turned the phone on and it stayed on the boot screen for a few minutes. I powered it off and back on and after a few more minutes there it did load, but it was as if the phone had been factory reset - I had to reenter my information, chat histories were missing, apps were uninstalled etc. yet a lot of data was still intact; photos, music etc. despite most of it being saved on the phone.

It was working for a few weeks after that although very sluggish, and then one day when I was using the phone, the screen flickered for a few seconds and the power went off. I restarted it and it was stuck at the boot screen again, except this time no amount of restarts or time spent on the screen changed it. I can access recovery mode through the volume up + power + home buttons and tried the partition wipe but it didn't do anything. Kies does appear to detect the phone when it's stuck on the boot screen but it just stays as "Connecting" until I disconnect it.

There's data on the phone I want to get off it and as I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to things like rooting, firmware flashing etc. I didn't want to try anything until I checked here because most likely the first thing I do will format it! I'm wondering if choosing factory reset from the recovery menu will actually delete everything seeing as the last time it "reset" itself most of the stuff was still there?

Anyway, any ideas would be much appreciated, if any information needed I'll try and give, thanks! :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones