• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S2 won't connect to free wifi network

Shazbat

Jul 17, 2010
I've noticed recently that although my phone tells me that there are free/open wifi networks available, it won't connect (such as in my local shopping centre, sat outside a mobile phone shop with an open network on my wifi list). The wifi icon is active and flashing, but all it does is repeatedly tell me there are networks available. If I click to connect, nothing happens - no error message, to all intents and purposes it appears connected but if I try to browse the internet it promptly loses the connection (or tells me I have lost it). If I do get it connected, the signal drops and I get the notification on screen that it has connected, repeatedly.

I've also noticed that whenever 'free wifi' is advertised, I only ever seem to get a homescreen which involves me buying wifi access; I've been away from home this weekend and on two occasions, where free wifi was available, I couldn't seem to find or connect to it. This might be unconnected but I wondered why, if I'm sat under a sign saying 'free wifi', my phone only seems to direct me to chargeable access?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones