• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S3 vs iPhone

Dearly beloved AF members, I have been lurking for a while but now pondering the option of getting a new phone. Apologies if this is the wrong forum. Wondering if it is worth waiting for the iPhone 5, will it be better than the Galaxy S3? Because I think Samsung has the 4S beat right now. Here are my pros for each phone

Galaxy S3:
4G LTE
Slimmer and lighter than the iPhone
NFC technology
Wireless charging
Larger screen/greater resolution 4.8in/720x1280 vs 3.5in/640x960)
2GB RAM
Smart Stay eye tracking
Corning Gorilla Glass

iPhone 4S:
Battery life
Build quality

Get the galaxy s3 it has way better battery life then the iphone ( friend got a iphone he says that he left iy on but didny use it and his battery got drained to 20%) and its easier to put music in it, plus you can add a sd card if you used up all the memory. I bought a s3 and dropped it a couple of times (on a hard wood floor) and it didnt have a case but nothibg happed to it , when someone i know dropped there iphone thr scree cracked ( he droped it on a hardwood floor to)but tjr only thing i hate about the galaxy s3 are the in ear headphones you get with it they are worser then the stock apple heafphones

Upvote 0
Apple having good build quality is a complete myth. Samsungs look a little cheap, I admit, but they simply do not break or get damaged. Plastic>glass and aluminum. It doesn't look as nice, but the safety of your investment is what matters.
I have often wondered about that. I have had a blackberry for 3+ years with no protective case, and treat it so poorly, dropping it on the ground, careless about water getting on it, etc...and those things while all plastic are built like tanks and can withstand just about anything you throw at it (literally)

By comparison, the iphone seems rather delicate

Upvote 0
lol.. asking which phone should you get in an android forum will get you biased responses. It's hard to compare the two right now because the new iPhone hasn't even come out yet so no one knows 100% what the specs are going to be like. I think it depends on which features you value more. I used to have an iPhone and there are some things I miss about it, largely the apps. If I were you, I would just wait for the iPhone to come out and make my decision then. And also, I def. think GS3 is better than the 4S, but to be fair, the S3 is a newer phone.

Upvote 0
It's hard to compare a phone which has not been officially released. I would suggest that you decide when you really need a new phone. At that time, just compare all of the phones that are available to you get choose the one you like the most. If you wait for the next upcoming phone, at that time, you may again want to wait for another upcoming phone which may be even better.

Upvote 0
It's hard to compare a phone which has not been officially released. I would suggest that you decide when you really need a new phone. At that time, just compare all of the phones that are available to you get choose the one you like the most. If you wait for the next upcoming phone, at that time, you may again want to wait for another upcoming phone which may be even better.
good advice, so if I had to get a phone now, what would you choose. iPhone 4S or SG3. Or something else? I'm on verizon.

Upvote 0
good advice, so if I had to get a phone now, what would you choose. iPhone 4S or SG3. Or something else? I'm on verizon.

I'm in Canada so, my phone choices are different from yours. I went from and HTC Desire Z to an SGS3. I don't have much experience with iPhones other than a limited one for work and helping out my in-laws and wife. I'm used to Android phone, so I personally wanted to stick with an Android phone. After using my SGS3 for a few weeks, I find that I like the HTC Android skin more so than the Samsung one. My personal preference. Although the SGS3 does pretty much what I needed to do, I find I probably would have liked the HTC One X more. My carrier only has the One S which has some limitations like internal storage that I cannot live with.

With regard to screen size, I am finding the large 4.8" screen of the SGS3 to be unwieldy with one hand. I basically have to use both hands for most of what I want to do. On my old Desire Z with a 3.7" screen is just way easier to use one handed.

I use a lot of widgets, so I will not be satisfied with the very simplistic launcher of the iPhone. That is something that will likely keep me away from iOS. Widgets just let me do rather repetitive things much more easily than on an iPhone. For instance, I have a widget that changes the sound profile with a simple touch. When I go to bed, my sound profile has all notifications at 0 volume while other things are at a lower volume. When awake indoors, I have a normal sound profile. When outdoors, my sound profile has the various volumes at max and turns vibrate on. My widget auto toggles between these three without needed to go into settings. I also have a widget that toggles the auto-rotate. I have a bunch of other widgets as well like a sports score ticker.

Since you are currently using a BlackBerry, either an iPhone or Android phone will be a big change for your. If you are used to a physical keyboard and want something similar, there will be some Android models that do have a portrait or landscape hardware keyboard. You will find none on the iPhone. Also, changing from one physical keyboard to another or an on screen one is going to take some getting used to. I switched from a Nokia with a landscape keyboard to an Android phone with a landscape keyboard and it took me weeks to really get used to it. I'm adjusting to using the on screen keyboard on my SGS3 now. I find that with my BlackBerry at work, I'm using it two-handed often. If you are like that as well, then perhaps the bigger screen of an SGS3 or other high end Android may be fine as you will get a larger screen. If you prefer to be able to use your phone more easily one handed, then the iPhone or a smaller Android phone will be more to your liking.

One thing I find about iPhones and iOS devices is that you have to pretty much do everything Apple's way. I find it rather frustrating when on my Android, I can simply just copy files to my phone and have things work. With iOS, it seems you have to do everything through iTunes or iCloud and on top of that, may need some conversion if your documents and media are not already in the Apple format. Apple's iOS devices don't have a file system that you can use like your file system on your PC. If you have other things already with Apple like a Mac, then an iPhone will work more seamlessly.

I also find that Android phones tend to have more features in general than iPhones. The past couple of announcements about the next version of iOS seem to talk about a number of features that are already in Android for years.

I think that any mid-range to high end Android or an iPhone will be a significant upgrade over your old BlackBerry. Unless you are really wanting a physical keyboard, you will probably be happy with either. My post here will tend to highlight Android more due to my personal preference to Android over iOS. I'm sure either will allow you to do what you currently do on your BlackBerry and much, much more.

Reactions: Questionerman
Upvote 0
Dearly beloved AF members, I have been lurking for a while but now pondering the option of getting a new phone. Apologies if this is the wrong forum. Wondering if it is worth waiting for the iPhone 5, will it be better than the Galaxy S3? Because I think Samsung has the 4S beat right now. Here are my pros for each phone

Galaxy S3:
4G LTE
NFC technology
Wireless charging
2GB RAM
Smart Stay eye tracking
Corning Gorilla Glass

iPhone 4S:
Battery life
Build quality

Galaxy S3 is definetly kicking it right now! the only contra may be the size...but this is a question of taste. I really think the iPhone is more handy, but that shouldn't be a KO criterion...

The S3 is much better to work with, as the android system is more "open minded"...so you don't need no god damn iTunes to put some pictures on your device (same with music)...furthermore the S3 is damn fast and it's display colours are great!!! This phone is pretty fun!:)

Reactions: Questionerman
Upvote 0

Galaxy S3:
4G LTE
NFC technology
Wireless charging
2GB RAM
Smart Stay eye tracking
Corning Gorilla Glass

iPhone 4S:
Battery life
Build quality
I did the same comparison, but a look at all the professional reviews convinced me the GS3 is far beyond the iPhone at the moment. Perhaps Apple will catch up with its iPhone-5 coming out in about 90 days, but right now I don't think it's close. (No, I have no connection with Samsung or anyone else in the supply chain).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones