• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S5, battery diminished.

Hey

I've had my galaxy s5 UK unlocked for about 2 months. My battery used to be superb. With around 4 hours of screen on time plus around 18 hours total usage. Now I only really get to about 2 hours screen on time and about 12 to 14 hours usage total.

Any Ideas how to improve battery performance again. See attached screen shots (bear in mind I recharged my phone at like 6pm during the day so it would last into the night)

Attachments

• 1413154880635.jpg
    1413154880635.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 198
  • 1413154890713.jpg
    1413154890713.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 146
  • 1413154900461.jpg
    1413154900461.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 1413154908501.jpg
    1413154908501.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 1413154916321.jpg
    1413154916321.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 1413154925311.jpg
    1413154925311.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 144
No offense to OP. But it baffles me that this kind of battery thread keeps popping up so often on S5 forums. I wonder if there are some bad hardwares or battery out there or something else.

Mine just stays strong since I got it on at&t. I didn't do anything fancy other than turning off location except when using GPS and disabling some carrier and samsung bloats. I use it fully as smartphone otherwise. It's easily the best battery experience for rivaling G2 for my wife.

Upvote 0
Yes, Clean Master is good app. I run it one or two times every week to clear junk files, cache and some unused apps stuck in memory.

Point is you need to watch the apps running in background and see if anything abnormal is going on, preventing the phone from sleeping. You may use apps like GSAM monitor to do that. But I personally just use basic task manager, battery stats in the setting to check it.

Upvote 0
I too was experiencing fast battery drain a couple OS updates ago. I tried everything everyone here had suggested with no improvement.

Unless you have a specific need for Location services, turn it off. You will nearly double your battery use. Location is only needed for any app that needs to know where you are, maps, gps anything, camera location tagging, navigation, Facebook, Yelp etc.

Since I turned off Location I'm getting nearly 2 full days on a single charge. Right now I'm at 23 hours and still have 47% battery left.

It can be a very slight pain to have to turn it on when needed but most apps warn you that Location is not turned on so it takes but a second to drag down and tap it on.

Give it a weeks try and you'll get used to turning on Location only when it's really needed.

Upvote 0
I too was experiencing fast battery drain a couple OS updates ago. I tried everything everyone here had suggested with no improvement.

Unless you have a specific need for Location services, turn it off. You will nearly double your battery use. Location is only needed for any app that needs to know where you are, maps, gps anything, camera location tagging, navigation, Facebook, Yelp etc.

Since I turned off Location I'm getting nearly 2 full days on a single charge. Right now I'm at 23 hours and still have 47% battery left.

It can be a very slight pain to have to turn it on when needed but most apps warn you that Location is not turned on so it takes but a second to drag down and tap it on.

Give it a weeks try and you'll get used to turning on Location only when it's really needed.

You are probably talking about difference between location on at high accuracy (GPS plus data) and off, right? I also keep location off most of time unless I use GPS apps. But never thought it could make that much difference like doubling battery time.

On my previous phone (Razr HD), I kept location in battery saver mode and it was just slightly worse than location off, maybe 10% or less difference on drain rate.

I would also add importance of keeping your memory background, cache, junk files clean using app like Clean Master. I run it at least once a week. Some people like Greenify but I never tried it. Make sure to turn off some known battery hogging bloats from samsung and carriers.

Also I personally don't use any social media apps like Facebook, Google+ and check on those with browser instead.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones