• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S5 bought from China

Hi Everyone

I also bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 Duos G9008W, it comes in Chinese language from factory but i was able to update it from scratch and now it is fully functional in the international version (English) where you can set it to your language (I have it in Spanish now), these are the steps:

1.- Create an account into http://www.sammobile.com, you have to do it, otherwise you can't download the firmware (it is free and save).
2.- Sing in to http://www.sammobile.com
3.- Search for G9008W firmware
, the link is: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-G9008W/
4.- Download the package G9008WDXU1ANF8_G9008WOLB1ANF6_XMF into your PC or LapTop (file is marked: 2015-01-14, Unknown, 4.4.2, G9008WDXU1ANF8, G9008WOLB1ANF6)
5.- Extract (unzip) the firmware file G9008WDXU1ANF8_G9008WOLB1ANF6_XMF.zip6.
6.- Download Odin v3.10.6 into your PC or LapTop
, the link is: https://mega.co.nz/#!epshkJAa!y7pFS5-9RVhp4vDxTRAQARAwkjyQAB_9mDZWfXkLqko
7.- Extract Odin ZIP file
8.- Clean your device
:
8.1.- Reboot Phone in Recovery Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Up buttons)
8.2.- Go to Wipe cache Partition, doing this you clean the cache space
8.3.- Go to Wipe data/factory reset, doing this you clean the data factory
8.4.- Reboot Phone using reboot system now option​
11.- Open Odin v.3.10.6 in your PC or LapTop
12.- Reboot Phone in Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons)
13.- Connect phone to your PC
14.- You will see a warning message (in Chinese) on your phone, just push volume up
button and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
15.- Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked in Odin
16.- Add the firmware file (G9008WDXU1ANF8_G9008WOLB1ANF6_G9008WDXU1ANF7_HOME.tar.md5) to AP/PDA button in Odin
(browse to the path where you unzip it and select it)
17.- Click the start button in Odin, sit back and wait few minutes.

After restart your phone will be set to Android 4.4.2 international version.

You can also see the Sammobile video:

Hope this be helpful and works for all of you

Best regards from Mexico

Palikary

hola, queria saber si existe la posibilidad de que me guies para realizar ese trabajo pero en un samsung galaxy A7.

Upvote 0
Hola, primero es necesario saber el modelo exacto de tu Galaxy A7 (en mi caso mi S5 es G9008W), generalmente viene dentro del dispositivo o en las opciones de configuración. Cuando lo obtengas debes buscar en sammobile el modelo exacto para bajar el firmware, si esta disponible es muy seguro que funcione con los pasos descritos, pero de no estar seguramente no se podrá. Avisame cual es tu modelo de A7.

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,

I have a samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G9008V, I tried Palikary solution, but Google Apps were still blocked, so I continue my research and found another method as below:
http://www.android.gs/flash-cm-12-1-android-5-1-1-stable-rom-for-samsung-galaxy-s5-china-edition/

And it finally works! I can access to all Gapps. But you need to notice that it will erase all of your setting (contacts...) and application, but you will keep your pictures and files. In addition, it will be not android anymore, so presentation are bit different.

As I tried many, many option and none of them works, that's a good one.

Any details needed, let me know

Upvote 0
Hi all. I have the same problem with my brand new Galaxy A9 sm-9100. Just purchased off eBay and a genuine Sammy, NO fake (Ive checked the imei and S/N).
which firmware should I download, in order to get the int'l or European version? So Play store will work properly. Same steps as mentioned above in earlier post from user Palikary?
Any help welcome (please do!;)
Greetings from Holland.

R

Upvote 0
Hi all. I have the same problem with my brand new Galaxy A9 sm-9100. Just purchased off eBay and a genuine Sammy, NO fake (Ive checked the imei and S/N).
which firmware should I download, in order to get the int'l or European version? So Play store will work properly. Same steps as mentioned above in earlier post from user Palikary?
Any help welcome (please do!;)
Greetings from Holland.

R

Hello and welcome to Android Forums Rudy75 :)

The model that you have is the SM-A9100, Galaxy A9 that is a carrier phone that is made specifically for the Open China network. As you have found out, China phones do not have the Google Play Store installed. The stock Open China firmwares can be downloaded from, here. This model is fully compatible with T-Mobile in the Netherlands and may be OK on a few other networks for the Netherlands and on others, it will not be able to use 4G/LTE. See, Will My Phone Work?

There is a similar model that is marketed in Vietnam and Malaysia. The SM-A910F is the Galaxy A9 Pro. The stock firmware for this model can be downloaded from, here.

The $64,000 question is... can you flash the SM-A910F firmware to the China model, SM-A9100 and the answer is, maybe but my gut instinct no and you will need to check this out.

I am sorry that I cannot give you a more definitive reply but we are dealing with a Chinese model that I am not familiar with, that is specifically for a carrier that I am not familiar with. You may do better posting on xda developers thread... Need help,root or twrp for Galaxy A9pro(Sm-A9100). I am sorry that I cannot advise you further.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
The $64,000 question is... can you flash the SM-A910F firmware to the China model, SM-A9100 and the answer is, maybe but my gut instinct no and you will need to check this out.

OK, @madushankap is probably first to find out. Good luck! You might end-up with a useful phone or you might end-up with a brick! This is a new device, and very much in uncharted territories.

BTW why do so many people seem to buy PRC version phones from Ebay. "I've got a China Telecom branded HTC One."...which won't work on anything but China Telecom

...or the Huawei from a few weeks ago...
huawei cdma.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
BTW why do so many people seem to buy PRC version phones from Ebay. "I've got a China Telecom branded HTC One."...which won't work on anything but China Telecom

...or the Huawei from a few weeks ago...
View attachment 106634

Because they are cheap and they think they are getting a really good bargain until they delve more deeply into the finer points. ;)

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
FYI "Open China" means it's suitable for all three Chinese carriers, Unicom and Mobile all modes, Telecom(4G LTE only with VoLTE)....which basically means no service if you stray too far from the city, major highway or railway.

Unless you got 4G LTE, Mobile is 3G TD-SCDMA, Unicom is 3G WCDMA, and Telecom is CDMA/EVDO, and never the twain shall meet unless you wanted 2G only service with many devices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FYI "Open China" means it's suitable for all three Chinese carriers, Unicom and Mobile all modes, Telecom(4G LTE only with VoLTE)....which basically means no service if you stray too far from the city, major highway or railway.

Unless you got 4G LTE, Mobile is 3G TD-SCDMA, Unicom is 3G WCDMA, and Telecom is CDMA/EVDO, and never the twain shall meet unless you wanted 2G only service with many devices.

Thanks to mikedt's post, it confirms what I suspected and that is you have a CDMA/WCDMA/SCDMA variant which will not accept the SM-A910F, GSM firmware you are attempting to flash as they have different modems/basebands. See, CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones