• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S5 not updating Android system

Hi, newbie here.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. The Android system has not updated beyond ver. 5.0. Here are numbers that may help provide a solution.
Ver. 5.0
Baseband ver. G900AUCU4BOF2
Kernel ver. 3.4.0-4432708
Please tell me how to get the phone to update to the most recent version.
Thanks, thelonius

Which s5 model is this, which region, was it originally sold through a service provider? Generally not all variants end up on the same version, but in particular models originally sold locked to a particular service provider often need to be connected to that service provider's network to receive updates. That last is the first possibility that occurs to me here.

If you have the full model number (it will be in the settings somewhere) you can find the latest firmware for it at Sammobile.com and install it manually (computer required, I'd advise backing up first).

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Assuming your carrier didn't provide any upgrades, I'd try using Samsung's Smart Switch utility and if it works let that do the upgrading process for you. But that may be a viable option as there are a lot of variables involved (i.e. AT&T is less likely to provide ROMs for general release, unlike the other major carriers that do). In that case you will have to manually apply an upgrade yourself by downloading the appropriate ROM for your model and flashing it using the Odin utility.

Upvote 0
Hi, newbie here.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. The Android system has not updated beyond ver. 5.0. Here are numbers that may help provide a solution.
Ver. 5.0
Baseband ver. G900AUCU4BOF2
Kernel ver. 3.4.0-4432708
Please tell me how to get the phone to update to the most recent version.
Thanks, thelonius
Go to #1.2 of the 42 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide to determine exactly which of the 42 models of the 6 year old Galaxy S5 you have. It would seem to be the hybrid AT&T model which has not been supported by the carrier for around 3 years. If it is the G900A variant, then I am afraid that what you have is as good as it gets as this model cannot be rooted for custom ROM's... see #1.6 of the previous link.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones