• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy tab S5e losing internet access

Raz Ghost

Lurker
Dec 14, 2022
Hi I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, model SM-T720 running android 11.

Recently I have moved house, so new ISP and new modem/router. I'm from the UK and typically you get given a modem/router combo unit from the ISP which I have used many different variants of as I have moved house over the years no issue. This one had some issues when I first moved in so I purchased another wifi router to connect to the existing one.

My phone (a galaxy s10+) and PC both connect and stay connected to the wifi no issues and remain connected to the internet. My tablet however will occasionally drop internet connection. It will remain connected to the wifi network but will simply not get any internet from it meanwhile the PC and phone are fine. I can change network to the other router but I still have the same issue.

I'm at a complete loss as to what to do, there is no way both routers can have the same issue but this is also the first time I have had the issue with the tablet despite using it on a number of different wifi networks.

Also if I use my phone (that's connected to the wifi) as a hotspot I don't have the issue.

To summerise

ISP>>>ISP modem/router>>>Tablet Issues

ISP>>>ISP modem/router>>>Wifi router>>>Tablet Issues

ISP>>>ISP modem/router>>>Phone>>>Tablet Fine

Something to keep in mind is when you have two WiFi routers (the ISP-supplied modem/router and your own discrete router), you have two different network gateways so with two local networks that's a problem. Managing and maintaining two concurrent local networks is something to be done when you have a specific need that requires it. From the sound of it, you're going to be better off with just one. That's the most common scenario for most people. Here's a couple of viable options:
-- Use your ISP's modem/router as the primary network gateway with your separate router being just an access point. The ISP-supplied modem/router has all its routing functionality enabled and your router has all its routing functionality disabled. Your router simply feeds off the signal from your modem/router, and you manage your home network via your modem/router's setup menu.
-- Or use your own router as the primary network gateway, with your ISP's modem/router essentially just being a modem. All routing functions for your home LAN are through your router.

I'd pick the latter option, if only because when you're relying upon an ISP's modem/router appliance, it's running your ISP's firmware. It has complete control over the modem functionality (pretty much a given) and more notable is it also has complete control over the router functionality. So in that situation, your ISP manages your home LAN. You can make changes to your modem/router set up menu, but your ISP can over-ride those optional changes at any time. You have even more restrictions managing your modem connectivity, that's pretty much an ISP matter (although you can buy your own, third-party modem, depending on your ISP), but at least with your own router you're in control over your own home network.
My ranting aside, pick the option that best suits you and what works out better for your household. But pick one or the other, ideally you want just one gateway that's controlling just one local network. All you devices connect to that one gateway (either by Ethernet cables or WiFi).

If WiFi coverage is an issue, try reading through this router placement guide:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...ntific-guide-to-wi-fi-access-point-placement/

Upvote 0
If you connect your tablet to a friends WiFi or a WiFi at a hotel, does it still disconnect?

A few years back I had a Lenovo laptop that was doing the exact same thing. every other device would stay connected, but the laptop would randomly disconnect from the internet, but show connected to the router. When i would take the laptop to a hotel, and use their WiFi it would stay connected 24/7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones