• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gallery App

Is there a way to disable or remove the Gallery App on the Samsung Galaxy S22+. I want to use Google Photos instead as the default.
Nope it's a system app. You can remove permissions for it, but you can't uninstall it or disable it. It really does not take up that much room. I only use Google photos as well. I never touch gallery.

Upvote 0
The pics are saved in Photos and also in Gallery right? I'm trying to use Snapbridge to transfers pics from Nikon to Google Photos and it put a Snapbridge file in Gallery but not in a Snapbridge file Google Photos, it just puts then in the regular camera in Google Photos. Never had problem before with Google Photos on Pixel phone, Snapbridge was just automatically transferred to folder. Don't know if you have any suggestions on this or not. Also am I correct that if you delete pic in Gallery it will delete in Google Photos also? Thank you

Upvote 0
Pics aren't saved in either app. A gallery app is an image viewer, it doesn't store the images. The images are saved in the phone's storage and any Gallery app (Photos, Samsung Gallery, F-Stop, Simple Gallery, whatever you like) just views them. It's the same as if you store music on the phone and have 2 music apps: both see the same tracks, but they don't have their own copies, they are just using the same shared library.

Photos' default view just shows all images it has access to in a single timeline. That will include images from many different folders on the phone, but unless you select an image and dig into its detailed information it won't tell you that. If you want to see images sorted by folder in Photos click on the Library tab, look for "Photos on device" and click the "view all" on that line - then you'll see the same folders that you are seeing in Gallery.

So Snapbridge downloads to its own folder, and if you follow that recipe you'll be able to see that this is the case even when you use Photos to view them. It's just not the way Google encourage you to think of your pictures (they want you to think of your photos in their library and not care about where they actually are, and the app is designed to encourage that thinking).

If you remove a photo from the device in any app it is removed from the device. If you back up using Google Photos and want to remove the cloud backup as well it's probably best to remove it using Google Photos, since other apps don't have access to Google's cloud backup and I'd not be surprised if Google don't sync removals done via other apps (I've not tested as I don't rely on Google for backups anyway).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pics aren't saved in either app. A gallery app is an image viewer, it doesn't store the images. The images are saved in the phone's storage and any Gallery app (Photos, Samsung Gallery, F-Stop, Simple Gallery, whatever you like) just views them. It's the same as if you store music on the phone and have 2 music apps: both see the same tracks, but they don't have their own copies, they are just using the same shared library.

Photos' default view just shows all images it has access to in a single timeline. That will include images from many different folders on the phone, but unless you select an image and dig into its detailed information it won't tell you that. If you want to see images sorted by folder in Photos click on the Library tab, look for "Photos on device" and click the "view all" on that line - then you'll see the same folders that you are seeing in Gallery.

So Snapbridge downloads to its own folder, and if you follow that recipe you'll be able to see that this is the case even when you use Photos to view them. It's just not the way Google encourage you to think of your pictures (they want you to think of your photos in their library and not care about where they actually are, and the app is designed to encourage that thinking).

If you remove a photo from the device in any app it is removed from the device. If you back up using Google Photos and want to remove the cloud backup as well it's probably best to remove it using Google Photos, since other apps don't have access to Google's cloud backup and I'd not be surprised if Google don't sync removals done via other apps (I've not tested as I don't rely on Google for backups anyway).

Hadron,
Snapbridge does not create a separate folder in Google Photos any more. It does create one in Samsung Gallery. That's what confusing me as to why they're not separated into a Snapbridge folder in Google Photos as before? But does create a Snapbridge folder in Samsung Gallery. Any idea why not in Google?

Upvote 0
Hadron,
Snapbridge does not create a separate folder in Google Photos any more. It does create one in Samsung Gallery. That's what confusing me as to why they're not separated into a Snapbridge folder in Google Photos as before? But does create a Snapbridge folder in Samsung Gallery. Any idea why not in Google?
Snapbridge doesn't create folders in these apps at all. It stores images in internal storage/Nikon/Snapbridge (on my phone). Whether the app (Photos, Gallery or whatever) shows you a Snapbridge folder or not is a matter of how that app organises the images it finds. Many apps have options so that you can see images sorted by folder or all together in a single timeline. If you find Photos is behaving differently from previously then that either means that a setting in the Photos app is different from how you had it on your Pixel or the Photos app has changed in one of its updates.

This is nothing to do with Snapbridge: Snapbridge just puts its images in a folder on the phone, nothing more.

The question is why is Google Photos not showing the images in a separate folder? As I pointed out you can view folders using Photos, but the option is hidden amongst other things in the "library" section. It's not the default, and I can't see a way of making it the default, but the only place you will be able to change this behaviour is in the Photos app's settings, if it actually has any option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones