• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gallery freeze

a5pe4

Android Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2011
So I'd never had a problem with the gallery until maybe two months ago. But now there seems to be a 50/50 chance when I open it and look for a picture that it gets stuck loading thumbnails and freezes. Do you think it has to do with the number of pictures or overclocking or something? I used to run at 806 but I thought maybe it messes with the gallery so I've ran between 729-768. not sure if it's helped.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

Going to agree with Riggerman1 on this one. I'm not even sure if the app itself is even supported anymore by it's developer as it's not even listed on their website anymore.

I've got mine frozen in Titanium Backup and am using QuickPic. VM should have gone with that one as the default gallery app. It's much much better IMHO.

Edit: If this is not an option for you, you could try deleting all of the thumbnails and letting them rebuild again to see if that will help.

Reactions: a5pe4
Upvote 0
Did you try deleting all the thumbnails and letting them rebuild again? It could be something as simple as removing a corrupt thumbnail image that fixes the problem.

I just tried and it froze the phone while rebuilding the thumbnails. Basically the same thing that has been happening. It gets stuck loading thumbnails and then eventually the screen turns off and there's no way to turn it back on until the battery is removed. Looks like I'll be sticking with Quickpic. It's worked great so far :D

Upvote 0
I'm glad QuickPic is working for you! It's a pretty amazing little app. ;)

On another note though, Id be wanting to find out what's wrong and why my phone was freezing. The Gallery is a crappy app, but it shouldn't be freezing your phone like that, and using QuickPic in it's place (even if it is a superior app) is merely a bandaid. The freezing could be a precursor to a more serious problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones