• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help game controllers

sntaylor

Android Expert
Jan 20, 2012
Ayrshire, scotland
My apologies if there are many other threads similar but I'm struggling to find the full info I'm after.....

Basically I'm trying to find out the best/easiest way to use a console controller with the nexus on 4.2.1

My brother in law has a ps3 and Xbox 360, I have a Wii with classic controller(the golden eye one) I also have an old ps2 (the mini one) in the cupboard(was in the house when we moved in!)

I have ordered an otg usb cable but wanna play with it just now....are there any wireless methods available?

I would also prefer options without having to root....... it's not that I mind so much, but the Mrs doesn't really want me to, and from what I gather rooting this will mean having to wipe all info? (My s2 didn't have to be wiped!)

Thanks in advance :)

My apologies if there are many other threads similar but I'm struggling to find the full info I'm after.....

Basically I'm trying to find out the best/easiest way to use a console controller with the nexus on 4.2.1

My brother in law has a ps3 and Xbox 360, I have a Wii with classic controller(the golden eye one) I also have an old ps2 (the mini one) in the cupboard(was in the house when we moved in!)

I have ordered an otg usb cable but wanna play with it just now....are there any wireless methods available?

I would also prefer options without having to root....... it's not that I mind so much, but the Mrs doesn't really want me to, and from what I gather rooting this will mean having to wipe all info? (My s2 didn't have to be wiped!)

Thanks in advance :)

It's not the rooting that wipes the device. The problem with is because since the bootloader is unencrypted and can be unlocked, it's just extremely easy to unlock it, install a custom recovery, and flash the su files in recovery. No need to deal with using risky exploits that could brick your device with one odd or wrong move. The unlocking of the bootloader is what wipes the device. That's why many who have experience say that if you have any plans to root, that the first thing you do with a nexus is unlock its bootloader so that the damage in virtually non-existent.
I have successfully used my ps3 controller with my tab thanks to an app called sixaxis controller in the play store, however this does require root. There are a couple of controllers out there that strictly use Bluetooth without an issue, but in order to use a ps3 or xbox controller wirelessly, you will need root.

Reactions: sntaylor
Upvote 0
Rooting is a 1,2,3 affair. You will need it in the future for many different programs and the earlier you do it the better. Then there is no harm done.

But for your game controller, you will most likely need the OTG cable - how else will you attach it. There are though Bluetooth game controllers for little money: Newegg.com - bluetooth game controller

Upvote 0
I have a similar game controller question. I bought the Gamestop bluetooth controller, and I can't seem to get it to connect with an emulator. It shows up as a pair device in my bluetooth settings. I've seen other forums with people saying they had no issues with this. Does anyone know if it only works with a stock rom? I'm running SmoothRom and am not sure if that's the problem.

Upvote 0
The only problem with nexus and using OTG cable is that you can't charge your device while you are using an OTG cable. I use sixaxis app with my PS3 controller and it works great. As others have said you can buy bluetooth controllers, there are some cool ones online like the moga and the icontrollpad both look like great bluetooth controllers for tablets/phones, and I doubt they need root to work.

Upvote 0
Well I have gone and rooted, the wired controller kind of works.... I read that with the sixaxis app it is possible to map out where each button taps the screen accordingly..... how well does this work for paying emulator games, particularly golden eye 64?

I haven't tried the N64 emulator out, but my SNES emulator worked great for mapping buttons on the controller.
alot of games recognize that there is a controller connected (as long as you remember to switch the IME to sixaxis) like bards tale and grand theft auto vice city.
Also there are some profiles already made so you don't even have to bother taking screen shots and trying to line up the buttons its on the XDA forum here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1779386

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones